Respected Contributor

Audio Stuttering I have Windows 7

I've been experiencing a lot of audio stuttering when I play the QVC videos, QVC Live, uTube, and other on-line videos. It seems to be getting worse all the time. I have a Dell Insperion 1545 x64 based PC, Intel Core Duo CPU 2.20 GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors. I also have Windows 7, Service Pack 1.

Do you have any recommendations on how to correct this problem? (Note: I'm not the least bit techie.) Thanks for any help you can give me.

Super Contributor

Re: Audio Stuttering I have Windows 7

Could be your wifi connection? Not strong enough to allow the audio to play without chopping.

Is this a laptop? If so, move close to your modem/router and try clicking the video again to see if you have the same problems.

Also, I'd unplug the cord on the back of the router/modem, wait 30 seconds, and plug back in. Sometimes this helps to reset things, and you can find a stronger wifi connection.

Honored Contributor

I agree with Lynnj. If the problem always happens with videos you view/hear via your Internet connection, you want to be sure it's a strong connection. It's good to keep a website like SpeedTest bookmarked (http://www.speedtest.net/) for your computer and one of the speed test apps on your mobile devices.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Is it just the audio, or does the video get hung up, too? Does video spend a lot of time buffering?

If it's just audio, it seems like it could be an issue with drivers. I did a search and found this: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19450310.aspx

If you're not sure how to update drivers, you may want to call Dell tech support and have them walk you through it. I usually uninstall old drivers before installing new ones, but you may be able to bypass that step.

Respected Contributor

I had problems with a Windows update last year, and changed my updates to Manual rather than Automatic. Now, I changed it back to Automatic updates, since everything seemed to work fine. After the previous Optional Updates ran, I noticed the "stuttering" audio.

This is the Optional Update I ran that I think caused the problem: Optional Update" of the Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (released in June, 2011).

I'm too tired tonight to do anything, and I'm not very techie, so I don't want to do anything that will cause a problem. How do I uninstall an optional Windows update?

Microsoft Community:

During media playback - that is watching videos stored on my hard drive, streaming from youtube, listening to music on my hard drive and streaming music from the net - my sound cuts out or stutters for a fraction of a second. Kind of like a skipping record. It happens every 20 seconds or so. This makes it impossible to enjoy movies and music, but my main concern is with recording.

Mick Barker Sr. replied on November 2011:
  • <button class="msaActionText msgHistoryClose dropNavClose placeRight" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-weight: inherit; border: none; color: #0072c6; cursor: pointer; right: 0px; -webkit-transition: background-color 0.2s; transition: background-color 0.2s; width: 25px; text-align: left; position: absolute; height: 24px; top: -29px;" title="Close" tabindex="-1">Close</button>

Justin,

We have been discussing the same thing Here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19412524.aspx?PageIndex=3 , And we have found the solution to the problem, it seems that MS Update wants you to install a "Optional Update" of the Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (released in June, 2011). But Intel has a more recent updated version of : Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, here:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20215&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss , and after removing the MS Updated one, and replacing it with the Intel one ( Second Link Here). The Problem was resolved and no more stuttering, buzzing at all. I did a Complete Hard Drive Wipe, Format and Fresh install of Win7 Home Premium x64, and it fixed my problem too. I did ignore MS Update for it, and installed the Intel One instead after the reformat and fresh install, Just to make sure it doesn't re-occur. So two options available to see if you get yours fixed. Good Luck to All.

Thank You,

Mick Barker Sr.

A+ Technician

Respected Contributor

I never do the driver updates through Windows and this is why.

Respected Contributor

I had someone help me remove the Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller update from my laptop, and then update the audio driver. Now, I don't get the stuttering when I play audios/videos, but I'm getting a periodic buzzing noise. I think I can live with the buzzing noise, since it doesn't last as long, and it's not as annoying as the stuttering, but I sure wish I could get rid of it. I did a Google search, and others are having the audio buzzing problem also. Evidently, no one else on the Electronics forum is experiencing this problem.

Respected Contributor

The buzzing is getting worse. If I play a video, listen to an audio, or play Solitaire, there is intermittent loud buzzing about every 20 seconds. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this, or what might be causing the problem?

Honored Contributor

When you Googled and found that others had the problem, did any of them have a solution? Did you try asking on the Dell forums? I would recommend checking forums dedicated to computers problems and asking the question there or on Dell forums.

You might also want to call Dell tech support.

Respected Contributor

"This is the Optional Update I ran that I think caused the problem: Optional Update" of the Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (released in June, 2011)."

If you get into the device manager, find the Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, and roll back the drivers. You can also get into the control panel, programs and on the left side is a list of Windows updates. Locate the one you want to remove and uninstall it. Have you tried a system restore?