Valued Contributor

Can my old Clickfree transfer files from Windows XP to 8.1?

I have an old Clickfree that I bought from QVC back in Jan. 2011. I believe the model number is HD527SE--500GB (at least, that's what is on the device itself). (The model # I got from looking it up on here under "order status" is C2 Slim Line. The manual says C2SE or 527SE.)

I got it to back up files on my old XP computer. Now that I'm replacing it with a new 8.1 desktop, I'd like to transfer my files to it, but I have a strong feeling that this may not be possible. Would anyone know if this particular Clickfree model will work with Windows 8.1 and, if not, would I be able to transfer my XP files to a computer with Windows 7 instead? Thanks for any help with this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can my old Clickfree transfer files from Windows XP to 8.1?

There should be info at Clickfree about transferring data using this model drive with Window 8.1.

Respected Contributor

You can always buy a flash drive and transfer the data using it. Be advised, you may need the program used to create the data to read the data. For example, if you created .doc files, you need Word to read them. If you have MS Office, you'll need to install it on your new computer. If you can't find the disk, there are free office suites for the download. Photos, music and videos should have a program already installed so you can view/listen to them.

Libre Office

Frequent Contributor

Get the plugable windows transfer cable from Amazon. It's under $20 and couldn't be easier. If you have questions you e-mail them and get a response almost immediately.

Valued Contributor

I believe my ClickFree is even older than yours and I successfully transferred files from my XP to a Windows 7 computer. Not sure about Windows 8. I have also used a transfer cable to transfer files too. You might just want to try plugging the ClickFree into your new computer and see if it fires up.

Super Contributor

That's a good question. I'd be curious to know what the right answer is. A quick check online showed some could,and others couldn't. Not sure if those the couldn't was because of the clickfree, or was it user error (if you know what I mean). Go online to clickfree.com > click on support > then chat live with a tech. It says they are available M-F 8-5 ET.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Since I couldn't chat with Clickfree until this past Monday, I decided to go ahead and save everything to flash drives as well as on the Clickfree. Then first thing on Mon., I chatted with someone on their site. Turns out that my particular model is not really compatible with Windows 8. The guy said he could email me instructions on how to try (I guess sometimes it might be possible to get it to work), but I chose not to bother. Ended up just deleting everything from the device.

Again, thanks everyone. Great help! Especially nice to know about transfer cables for future use.

Respected Contributor

You don't need to have a ClickFree to backup your data. Any external hard drive, CDs or DVDs will work. Always have more than one copy of anything you can't afford to lose.

Contributor

I believe my Click Free is actually older (Model HD325, 320 GB), and I had no problem transferring the files to my new computer with Windows 8.1.

Super Contributor

What SueDone said. I have a Clickfree that's at least 6 years old and no problems transferring XP to 8.1.