Super Contributor

Am afraid to upgrade to Windows 11?

Okay reason is a had a bad experience over a month ago trying. it really did a number on my pc...

I can't remember exactly what happened... Think it may have an unauthorized website or something else..

Called Microsoft to see if they could help me... They wanted to charge me for help..

I then decided to call Norton who is my internet virus protection....

Did explain my issue and they said they could help.

A very nice Tech support man took over my computer and worked on it for several hours.

Could not believe the time he took to take care of my issue...

So now I keep getting notice about updating to windows 11.... I have internet explorer windows 7.. Never upgraded any higher...

Am not very good with all the new tech things... Just brose the internet, check mail do some ordering and information on different products and also other things.

Do I need to upgrade to get greater speed etc?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,lovestodance

Honored Contributor

Re: Am afraid to upgrade to Windows 11?

I am not an expert on Windows but am very impressed you actually got someone from Norton to work with you to help; have paid them twice and still do not have the program showing up on my computer. I think Windows 11 would have to be better than windows 8; what isn't?

Super Contributor

Hi Lovestodance!

I think you're talking about 2 different things. Windows 8 is the latest, there is no 11. However, the latest version of Internet Explorer, the browser, is IE 11.

Windows updates cost $ and require certain hardware specifications.

Internet Explorer is free and update-able over the internet. It's a Microsoft product and compatible with ANY of their Windows products. If you download it from Microsoft, it should be clear of any nasty bugs. If you use Internet Explorer as your main browser, you will want to update for speed and any new features they have.

My opinion, and understand it's just mine, is that there are better browsers out there. I used IE as my default for years, but just switched to Google Chrome. I was stunned by how much faster it is. I downloaded that at no charge, too, direct from Google. There are other browsers out there, too, and many swear by them, like Firefox and Mozilla.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Do not upgrade! Keep your Windows 7. I've (allegedly) been hearing disasters re: Windows 8. Windows 7 are much more preferred and, if you can find one, they are very expensive. 11 could be worse than 8, IMO. I wouldn't take the chance. (If I would have known, I would have bought three or more Windows 7.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If any of you are having troubles with Windows 8, you should really write/email to the 'Windows' folks and demand a return of Windows 7. I just might email them and tell them that I won't buy another computer unless I can buy Windows 7. Soooooooo many people having troubles with '8', and actually there was an article in our local newspaper several months ago or so stating all of the problems. I believe Windows 8 was originally developed for touch screen only. I'll have to find the article, which I cut out of the paper, but it could be 'anywhere' by this time. Allegedly, BTW.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I have a Windows 8.1 computer and it runs just fine. I don't have any problems getting it to do what I want or need. I have a friend who isn't computer savvy and she doesn't have any problems either. You need to learn to use it.

Honored Contributor

'All I know' is in my area, the 'techies' in the large PC stores repair dept. are having tons of troubles solving customers' problems. Could be a 'bad batch' of PC's sent to these stores. Maybe, by now, the problems/glitches have been resolved. Long newspaper article regarding this subject. Let's hope for the best. I'll try to find the article and give you the info.

Super Contributor

On 4/19/2014 ROMARY said:

Do not upgrade! Keep your Windows 7. I've (allegedly) been hearing disasters re: Windows 8. Windows 7 are much more preferred and, if you can find one, they are very expensive. 11 could be worse than 8, IMO. I wouldn't take the chance. (If I would have known, I would have bought three or more Windows 7.)

There is no such thing as Windows 11. I don't know why people come to a shopping channel forum looking for tech advice when most people are clueless about technology here.

Regular Contributor

Lovestodance, it's Internet Explorer that needs upgrading to version 11. No big deal.

Respected Contributor

OT, I love Win 8. As others have said, there is no Window 11. The newest version is 8.1