Super Contributor

help with laptop purchase please

I need a new laptop but do not want windows 8. Any idea where I can get one.? I use it to pay bills and cruise the internet. Any ideas?
Honored Contributor

Re: help with laptop purchase please

I've been hunting for a laptop and just bought one. I noticed Windows 7 computers at Office Depot.com,HP's own site and Walmart.com. I just finished my first day playing with 8.1 and it is so stupid. I can't find where I can X out of pages.

Esteemed Contributor

Mindy...right click below the touchpad. Your pages/tabs should show up at the bottom of the screen. I'm learning windows 8.1 too. Ugh!

ETA...I've added a wireless mouse which is making everything so much easier!!! Not as sensitive as the touchpad and easier to navigate.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

You may be able to find a refurbished laptop with Windows 7, which is what I have now. I started out with a refurbished one with XP. I've only had refurbished laptops.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/19/2014 bigsister said:

You may be able to find a refurbished laptop with Windows 7, which is what I have now. I started out with a refurbished one with XP. I've only had refurbished laptops.

I use to buy refurbished Dell desktop computers and the products were great. The computers were repaired by Dell. Today,a logistics company does the repair work. The quality of the work can be so so. I just buy new products.

The OP should look at Dell or HP's site for a Window 7 machine.

Respected Contributor

If you have the desktop with all the colorful icons, just click the "desktop" icon and you will get your old desktop back with the X to close out and everything.

So easy once you find that out. It took me 14 hours to find it and it was right in front of me. Of course, I didn't know it was there so I wasn't looking for it. LOL

Just bite the bullet and get Win8. It isn't hard at all.

Contributor

Toshiba has quite a few new computers with Win 7 on their web site. But Win 8 is easy to use if you check out free tips on getting started...do a web search and you can be up and running in a few minutes.
Honored Contributor

There is another thread re: Windows ......... So many folks out here are having trouble with 8. Allegedly. There also was an article regarding 8 and all of the problems in our newspaper several+ months ago. I would suggest tracking down Windows 7. Less stress and aggravation. I heard that 7 's prices are skyrocketing, and very difficult to find because of all of the (allegedly) problems people with 8 are having.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I know a few seniors who are having stress related problems with 8. Wish I could help them, but it's Greek to me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 4/19/2014 ROMARY said:

I know a few seniors who are having stress related problems with 8. Wish I could help them, but it's Greek to me.

Why not learn how to use it?