Contributor

Has anyone had trouble with their wifi greying out?

It won't turn on

Honored Contributor

Hi, Emily Paige! This is a known problem. I found an Apple support article:

"In rare instances, the setting to turn on Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch may appear grayed out or dim. You might see the following when you tap Settings > Wi-Fi.

If this occurs, your device won't respond when you try to turn Wi-Fi on. If you're using iOS 7, Wi-Fi may appear to turn on and off in Control Center, but it won't respond.

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Make sure that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  3. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  4. Make sure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.

If you still can't turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options. If you can turn Wi-Fi on but are experiencing other issues with Wi-Fi, see how to resolve those Wi-Fi issues." (article Last Modified: Apr 2, 2014)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Apple products are made to fail after a few years. Wait and get the 6

Honored Contributor

With all due respect, evelyner, the OP was asking about an issue with her existing phone rather than a purchase, and Apple products aren't "made to fail after a few years." Technology changes rapidly, and over time it's unrealistic to expect any manufacturer to continue with the same hardware (or software). In addition, as software and firmware changes come along it's not practical or viable for companies to support older devices after a certain number of years.

In my experience, Apple products are reliable and extremely well-made. (I still have a 12-year old iMac I use as an extra computer at home, and one of my family is still using her 3G iPhone from 2008. I used my 3G daily, from 2008 'til last year, and never had any problems with it, only upgrading because I needed to keep up with the newer software.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor

No that didnt work

Thanks anyway

Regular Contributor
On 4/24/2014 Emily Paige said:

No that didnt work

Thanks anyway

Ok. Ios 7 makes the wifi chip thinks it's overheating. It's killed all earlier versions of the 4 and 4s. The only way to get it back it to take a blow dryer on low heat and aim it at the headphone jack for 5-10 mins. The wifi will come back and stay back. The heat basically resets the chip. Do a google search. This has been going on for months. It happened to my 4s I did the blow dryer trick, wifi came back and has been back for 6 months. The tips that you were given is basically a form letter apple put out saying we don't care upgrade. If you take it to get fixed they will tell you to upgrade and charge you 200 dollars. ios 6 and above was made to kill off the older models. The greying out is actually a safety feature to not harm your phone, but in this case, it's a bug that they refuse to this day to fix.
Contributor

It worked!

Thank you so much William Joseph