Contributor

Got my ipad3 on the Q. Do I have to use ATT or Verizon with it?

HELP!. ATT rates went up. Ipad 3 from Q. How do I find out if I have to have ATT or Verizon , I swear qvc said You have yo have one or other for net .....
Super Contributor

Re: Got my ipad3 on the Q. Do I have to use ATT or Verizon with it?

If you got one with 3G cellular service. It is ATT, but if you have WiFi you don't need to setup cellular service. Go to settings then cellular and it will tell you if you have it. I have 3G available on this one but have never used it because I have WIFI.
Respected Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Pinkroses said: If you got one with 3G cellular service. It is ATT, but if you have WiFi you don't need to setup cellular service. Go to settings then cellular and it will tell you if you have it. I have 3G available on this one but have never used it because I have WIFI.

That's only half right. The iPad has cellular service with AT&T or Verizon. If your iPad has cellular connection, it's one OR the other. How your ipad is configured can't be changed. BTW, all iPads are wireless.

Honored Contributor

3G does not need a cellular connection, Wireless does, and it should be able to pick up the wifi service you use at home

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

3G does not need a cellular connection, Wireless does, and it should be able to pick up the wifi service you use at home

Cellular is just that, cellular. Wireless is a cable or DSL connection broadcasted by a wireless router. You have it backwards.
Contributor

I'm lost! So ok if I just use wireless DSL which I do, I can have whatever carrier I want? I don't do the cellular on ipad cause it charges I always say no. help please thanks
Contributor

Ok me again, I looked and my cellular is turned off on ipad, does this mean I can order any companies wireless DSL? ATT wants to charge me 40 a month and cant afford
Honored Contributor

AT&T has a SIM card slot on the left side of the iPad & Verizon does not have a SIM card slot. If you go into Settings under Cellular Data there should be a SIM Pin category there. Mine is AT&T so if I go into settings under cellular data & click on view account it opens so I can login & purchase time & there is an AT&T blue & white world shape logo at the top right side of the login page. I don't have to pay for a monthly data plan. I only buy when I'm not home with our WiFi. Our power was off for about 5 hrs a few weeks ago & I bought 250mb good for 24 hours only for $5 so I could use my iPad while the power was off. The only other time I buy it is when I travel so I can use it on the road in the car.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Deeeeeeeeee said: Ok me again, I looked and my cellular is turned off on ipad, does this mean I can order any companies wireless DSL? ATT wants to charge me 40 a month and cant afford

Yes, You can use any wireless DSL service with your tablet. You do need a wireless router.

I do not know which iPad 3 you brought from QVC. If the product is not 30 days old sent it back, and buy elsewhere. You paid a lot of money for old technology.

Respected Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Deeeeeeeeee said: I'm lost! So ok if I just use wireless DSL which I do, I can have whatever carrier I want? I don't do the cellular on ipad cause it charges I always say no. help please thanks

No, it doesn't work that way. When you buy an iPad with 3/4 G service, you buy one that is either AT&T or Verizon. If you buy one with AT&T cellular, it will always use AT&T service. Same with Verizon. It's set that way at the factory and can't be changed.

You don't need to use cellular service. As I posted, all iPads are wireless. If you have a wireless network at home, use it. If you have internet service with a wireless router, you have a wireless network. You will need the network security number for the iPad to connect.