Honored Contributor
I just came into the 21 century and got my first HD TV. I had no idea what I was missing! The picture is so clear. HD is not a friend to anyone, you see every pore, wrinkle, and crinkle on one's face I don't blame any host, model, actor, and actress who wants to improve their appearance I'm glad I don't appear on tv, I couldn't hold up to the scrutiny.
Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2014 jordan2 said: I just came into the 21 century and got my first HD TV. I had no idea what I was missing! The picture is so clear. HD is not a friend to anyone, you see every pore, wrinkle, and crinkle on one's face I don't blame any host, model, actor, and actress who wants to improve their appearance I'm glad I don't appear on tv, I couldn't hold up to the scrutiny.

Wait until they start the next generation which is double the resolution you are seeing now in the 1080p High Definition. The next version will be 4K and is said to have at least double the resolution of what you are seeing now.

If you are watching televised HD now via cable or satellite, it probably is only the 720p. To see true 1080p you almost have to watch a Blu-ray DVD to be 100% sure it is true 1080p. There are some things broadcast in 1080p, but this is not the standard resolution that is broadcast now by most of the cable and satellite receivers and DVR's.

The best is yet to come. When? Beats me, but there are now 4K TV sets available to buy but I don't know where a person can find something made in actual 4K resolution.

Welcome to the new century of tv viewing. I talked like crazy over a decade ago to all my friends about HDTV and they all said " I ain't interested in how good the picture might be". Boy have they changed their minds now after seeing some of their favorite sports and other shows in High Definition, which is 1920x1080 lines of resolution.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying it! I didn't even have HD at all until just over two years ago when I replaced my Series 2 Tivos with Series 4 Tivos. The newer ones use a 'cablecard' that is inserted in the back of the Tivo, instead of using a cable box. The cablecard automatically gives you HD and they don't charge more for it.

Then, two months ago, our cable co went to all HD so as long as you have a TV with HDMI ports and an HDMI cable, you just hook it up to the cable boxes (for the TVs that don't have Tivos) and it's all HD. I'm glad they did that. Used to be if you wanted HD reception you had to pay more. We already pay almost $150. I figure that's enough. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy your set.

Honored Contributor

I'm TV challenged........my RF stations keep going out, and I have to do a scan every couple days to get them back. Is it my TV......the weather.......a ghost, or what? Does anybody know?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I have the 4K. Had the HD 1080 before when my 6 year. Old 46" got a crack in the screen. Walked into the store a month ago, looking at this screen and felt like I was in the street that were showing these tall buildings. I was hooked. It was not cheap. It,s a Samsung. Watch Hawaii 5 0, and you feel like you are on the beach with them. Crystal clear picture. Some of the younger QVC models have wrinkles around their eyes, that,s how clear and sharp it is. This doesn't,t show up on my kitchen 36 TV, or my older models.

Honored Contributor

The 4K sets are very impressive if you're the type who sits very close to very large sets. If you typically view television at "normal" viewing distances though, you're unlikely to notice any real difference. There are a number of websites out there that have examined this issue and the human eye can only see a certain level of resolution and with the 4K sets, unless you sit very, very close to a very large set, the human eye can't really see the increase in resolution.

4K programming is also extremely limited now and presently primarily available through streaming services. Streaming 4K video takes a lot of bandwidth. Most of the providers are saying you'll need at least 15 mbps and that's likely for a compressed signal. Some are saying 20 mbps is the minimum. I suspect streaming real time, uncompressed 4K content (think live sporting events) will likely take something more along the lines of 50-100 mbps. Unless you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest, you're probably better off sitting out the 4K revolution for a few years and waiting to see if it is truly a revolution or an over-hyped sales pitch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a small living room I can see the difference believe me. At 78 years old, I may not have the f we years. I love it. The new TV,s are called Smart and have theapps to stream movies. I have Amazon and stream my movies from my Kindle to it. The TV is hooked to my router. Very HI tech, enjoying it. It is beautiful. Of course it will come down in price, and something better will come along, I have to live in the moment. I could not afford it if I were raising a family.

Super Contributor

enjoy it..

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of HDTV. I don't really want to see every pore or wrinkle in someone on Tv's face. every TV in our house is HDTV capable but we don't buy the service and don't miss it. when we had it - we didn't use it.I guess we are odd this way - but I just don't get it. Maybe our old eyes just didn't like it. I felt like it distorted the overall image.