Honored Contributor

Question re AMD OS vis-a-vis Internet Explorer OS

I note that HP comes equipped with the AMD OS (which was created mostly for games), and the Dell with IE (presently i7). I recently bought the Dell TSV (not the recent one, the one before that).

I am wondering which operating system is the fastest, as each manufacturer claims theirs is. I would think possibly AMD might be because it is geared toward gaming, but I have always been an IE user (every version right back to the very beginning). I don't do games. My favorite was XP, but that is now completely obsolete as far as MS supporting it anymore. It had a good run though.

I'm not that crazy about the screen "tiling" (both HP and Dell use it). I think it's just a gimmick and keep my screen peppered with "shortcuts" and my family photographs as wallpaper. There are just some things I don't want to give up!

Just some musings. If anyone has the answer, I'd love to hear it!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Question re AMD OS vis-a-vis Internet Explorer OS

AMD is a processor; IE is a browser. No matter what browser comes with the system you can use any other of your choice by downloading one - Google Chrome for instance. Yesterday's HP TSV came with Windows 8.1 OS by Microsoft.

If you don't want to use a Microsoft OS then you have to buy an Apple or Chrome laptop or use an Android tablet.

Here's a link to an article about AMD vs Intel processors.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/processors/intel-vs-amd-which-processor-is-bes...

Another one.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Frannie said:

AMD is a processor; IE is a browser. No matter what browser comes with the system you can use any other of your choice by downloading one - Google Chrome for instance. Yesterday's HP TSV came with Windows 8.1 OS by Microsoft.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/processors/intel-vs-amd-which-processor-is-bes...

Another one.

Sorry, I mean to say i7 which I believe is IBM? I always get that mixed up. I am actually asking which is better, IBM i7 or AMD?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

A good place to check is cnet.com or just google one vs the other.

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 Ford1224 said:

Another one.

Sorry, I mean to say i7 which I believe is IBM? I always get that mixed up. I am actually asking which is better, IBM i7 or AMD?

Ford 1224 I had the same questions you did we bought the last Dell TSV on March 16 EDD was April 14 then it went to April 21 then to May 5 then to Backorder I contacted qvc asking them when the Dell was going to ship they had no idea they were not even sure if qvc was going to get any more in.

So we went to Office Depot to look and we talked to the man in computer repairs I asked him if you were going to buy a laptop which would you go for Intel which I wanted or AMD A8 he said AMD A8 there good fast and can do anything and he said HP puts better graphic cards in all there computers.

I told him I was thinking of buying the TSV HP yesterday HP AMD A8 he brought it up on his computer to look at the specs he said are you into gaming or working with Microsoft Office do a lot of paper work I said no gaming I never used Microsoft Office and I don't do paper work I use the computer for my dogs photos and scrapbooking he said the HP AMD A8 has more power then I will ever use and he said at that price and the specs were good he said I buy it. So we cancelled the Dell and bought the HP TSV yesterday.

I told him I was going to buy a Dell i5 he said that HP A8 8gb 1TB will do the same thing as a i5 if not more he said I just like AMD better then Intel so that sold me. I hope it ships soon waiting on the Dell was so frustrating.

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 autumnsunset said:
On 4/14/2014 Ford1224 said:

Another one.

Ford 1224 I had the same questions you did we bought the last Dell TSV on March 16 EDD was April 14 then it went to April 21 then to May 5 then to Backorder I contacted qvc asking them when the Dell was going to ship they had no idea they were not even sure if qvc was going to get any more in.

So we went to Office Depot to look and we talked to the man in computer repairs I asked him if you were going to buy a laptop which would you go for Intel which I wanted or AMD A8 he said AMD A8 there good fast and can do anything and he said HP puts better graphic cards in all there computers.

I told him I was thinking of buying the TSV HP yesterday HP AMD A8 he brought it up on his computer to look at the specs he said are you into gaming or working with Microsoft Office do a lot of paper work I said no gaming I never used Microsoft Office and I don't do paper work I use the computer for my dogs photos and scrapbooking he said the HP AMD A8 has more power then I will ever use and he said at that price and the specs were good he said I buy it.

So we bought a 17 in yesterday. I told him I was going to buy a Dell i5 he said that HP A8 8gb 1TB will do the same thing as a i5 if not more he said I just like AMD better then Intel so that sold me I came home and ordered one I hope it ships soon waiting on the Dell was so frustrating.

It's assembly line production, so it's always a crapshoot with computers (or any electronics for that matter). I have always had good luck with Dells. I have purchased two directly from Dell and then the TSV from March (not the most recent one). I called Dell first and checked with them about pricing on that same model and could not get anywhere near the price QVC was selling it for. The salesman actually told me to go with the QVC TSV, that Dell could not match the value. So that's what I did. I only had to purchase MS Outlook, because the MS pkg that comes with the QVC model does not include Outlook. I don't even use One Note and have no idea what it does. But I still made out. There was a $400 difference in price, and Outlook cost me $109, so it was still a $300 savings.

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

I was hoping to get the Dell TSV but it sounded like qvc was having problems getting more in and after talking to the computer repair man at office Depot and him recommending the HP AMD A8 I decided to buy the HP I'm sure for my needs it will be fine.

Honored Contributor

Ford1224:

Below is a post I placed on Viewpoints. Not exactly the same as what you ask but does give you some insight as to what I usually say to people asking these types of questions.

Will give the same comments I do on the Electronics Talk Forum. It is better to buy directly from the factory and have a computer built with only the things you need and/or want, and how you intend to use it.

E-mail/Facebook and Social Media? You don't need much of a computer for those things. Now if one is into saving and watching lots of video or large photographs, and especially any type of gaming? Having non-integrated video card and sound card along with plenty of RAM is a good idea. Of course with gaming one would usually want a fast processor like a Quad-Core.

Not familiar with this AMD or AMD in general. I've stuck pretty much with Intel processors and I have the 2nd generation i7 in our desktop along with non-integrated video/sound cards and 8g of DDR3 RAM.

Our desktop is a Dell and I ordered it from Dell directly.

E.T.A. For Ford1224: The i7 is an Intel Processor. As for which is better? I've read many tests done by those in the business of checking the speeds and so forth with all new products for computers and the other types or electronics that are made up of pretty much the same components except maybe smaller in size.

Some like a particular AMD Processor for Gaming and say it is better. Others claim that the Intel i7 had better numbers testing in on the same game as AMD's best and newest processor. Speed has got to the point where it is only part of what makes the best gaming machine, and since you are not interested in gaming, my personal opinion is for you to buy whatever one you feel is best for you. You will never get everyone to agree on AMD versus Intel when it comes to which is better.

I have never ordered a computer that did not have exactly the parts that I wanted in it. I also have never paid much attention to shopping network so-called "retail prices". I am not into their $700 worth of software because most of what I use I have or can get a free version that includes enough via downloading it online.

Realizing many like the software and the Easy Pay options, were I in a position of not having enough money to pay for it upfront? I would wait till I saved enough and by then, more than likely, a new processor or system with more or faster RAM, will probably be on the market.

hckynut(john)