Respected Contributor

In case you haven't downloaded the most recent Windows 8.1 update, it is worth it. No longer does your computer boot to the tiles. You can still get to them by clicking on the start button. I guess the complaints were heard.

Honored Contributor

Ooh, good to know!

I don't have any Win8 computers, but I just ordered a new laptop, with 8.1, for my husband (NOT from here, of course) and have been doing research on how to get it set up for him in a way that is most familiar to him (he totally cannot handle change). Sounds like it might end up being easier than I had hoped.

Esteemed Contributor

My son got me a new acer with 8.1. Trying to get use to it. He says I also hate change. Just don't like touch. Need the keyboard. It seems faster for an old lady to use.

Regular Contributor
I googled, researched and found a download called Classic Shell. It does not change the OS in any way, it's like a skin. The user has the choice of how things will look; XP, windows 7, etc. It is a free download, several places offer a version of it. The best way I can suggest knowing you found the original is there will be a request for a donation. The donation is entirely optional. I love it.
Regular Contributor
The main thing I wanted was for what I was accustomed seeing what I clicked the start button was there and I wanted the familiar look of the control panel.
Frequent Contributor

I need a new laptop but won't buy one until Windows 9 comes out. Was slated to come out in late 2014, but newest estimates says April 2015.

I've read too many unhappy comments from people who have even gotten the Windows 8 updates.

Respected Contributor
On 4/14/2014 bluheart said:

I need a new laptop but won't buy one until Windows 9 comes out. Was slated to come out in late 2014, but newest estimates says April 2015.

I've read too many unhappy comments from people who have even gotten the Windows 8 updates.

Windows 8 is not that bad. In fact, it has some nice features. The one I like is you can start typing what you want and it appears. I really feel sorry for people who won't learn something new.

Honored Contributor
On 4/14/2014 2000survivor said: I googled, researched and found a download called Classic Shell. It does not change the OS in any way, it's like a skin. The user has the choice of how things will look; XP, windows 7, etc. It is a free download, several places offer a version of it. The best way I can suggest knowing you found the original is there will be a request for a donation. The donation is entirely optional. I love it.

'Classic Shell' is one of the tools I have on deck in anticipation of receiving my husband's new computer. I still have to check it out and check reviews but, so far, it seems sound.

Respected Contributor

I'm a long-term XP user who made the switch to Win 8 about a month ago. I decided that from the start I was going to use Win 8 as intended, instead of trying to make it be something it's not (another version of XP or Win 7).

The verdict: I love Win 8. I love the tiles, I love the touch capability and use touch a lot. I love all the ways I can customize it to suit my preferences and needs. I have no complaints and lots of praise for Win 8.

Respected Contributor

My problem is trying to get the 8.1 patch. WE just bought a new computer. I can't tell which dang version we have and if we have the patch. I hate this computer. Might try to take it back.

Anybody know how to clean out stuff already in it?