Honored Contributor

dissappointed in my Asus tablet

Every evening before I go to bed I like to clear all the tabs and turn it off then plug it in to charge overnight. Thursday PM I did just that and yesterday AM it would not turn on. Nothing. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the charger and it was out of power but the light that indicates if it is charged was green - indicating a full charge. I called ASUS service # and they said they could fix it remotely but it would cost me $299 for software they would have to install in my laptop plus whatever they would charge me to do the service. Heck, a brand new one is only $350. This is my second time to have a major problem with this tablet since Dec. It is now at a computer service place locally and they are aware I don't want to go over $300 to fix it. I love using my tablet but I have only had it for 15 months and I really don't expect to have 2 major issues this soon after buying it, so I am disappointed in it. The other time it got into a loop and was turning on and off about every 30 sec. and would not reset.That time it was still on warranty so they repaired it free.

Respected Contributor

Re: dissappointed in my Asus tablet

I wouldn't spend any money on it. Use the money and buy an iPad.

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone spend money on an off brand like this? We have two of them an Ipad and a Samsung. Never had any trouble with them. As far as tablets go, you get what you paid for.

Super Contributor

You get what you pay for. If it's brand new it should be covered under warrantee. Something doesn't sound right with this story. Why are you paying for a repair that would cost as close to a new tablet. That's not smart thinking. Invest in an iPad next time. You live, you learn.
Contributor

On 4/12/2014 songbird said:

Why would anyone spend money on an off brand like this? We have two of them an Ipad and a Samsung. Never had any trouble with them. As far as tablets go, you get what you paid for.

FYI...Asus is not an off brand. They produce most of the motherboards in non-Apple computers and have been doing so for many years.

Regular Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Lynnj said: You get what you pay for. If it's brand new it should be covered under warrantee. Something doesn't sound right with this story. Why are you paying for a repair that would cost as close to a new tablet. That's not smart thinking. Invest in an iPad next time. You live, you learn.
I guess you missed the part where the OP says they had the tablet for 15 months.......
Regular Contributor

Chances are unless you aren't using an IPAD right night you are using an ASUS....
Honored Contributor

While Asus is a well known brand for those that follow what companies make what parts for computers, most people see Asus as a non brand. They have made great mother boards for computers for years and for almost every brand of computer out there, including those that make their own computers.

Unfortunately they are not known for making tablets and or even computers. I have my own personal choice when it comes to tablets. That was/is and will remain the Android Operating System and the brand Samsung being at the top of my list. Unless this operating system degrades in the future I see no reason why I would ever want to spend more money for a tablet that does no more than an Android. Maybe different things, but it totality, nothing that amounts to much for an average tablet user.

Like others here have said, there is no way I would spend any money on this tablet that has already had 2 problems that either prevented you from using it or made the experience not a pleasant as it should be. Samsung didn't get to be number 1 in several electronics categories by accident and unless something has recently changed, they are still way ahead of the famous "letter" systems in sales and preference.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

To be fair, Asus is NOT an off-brand. It is a brand that is well accepted. I don't have any Asus products, but I would not hesitate to consider the brand. I'm VERY brand-loyal. One thing I always say is that I will avoid, like the plague, generic brands for electronics. But Asus is not a generic brand.

Having to pay that much to get it fixed is excessive. One thing - I always get Square Trade warranties for all of my electronics so I always have 3, 4, or 5 years (depending on the item) where I can feel safe. Not only is Square Trade THE best, but they are way way inexpensive. For a very small amount of money you can have peace of mind. For what we pay for electronics, I'd like to feel comfortable for more than a year. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Buster43 said:

FYI...Asus is not an off brand. They produce most of the motherboards in non-Apple computers and have been doing so for many years.

Do your research and check your facts. It's a cheap alternative to superior brands. Again, you get what you pay for.