Esteemed Contributor

For anyone considering the tv/dvd ts over at hsn...

...there are very good reviews for the prior model they offered! Item 281-084. After researching it a bit I decided it was a 'want' and not a 'need'!

Honored Contributor

Re: For anyone considering the tv/dvd ts over at hsn...

Mentioned this in another thread awhile back. Nothing to do with this ts, but with muti-function electronic devices. The more moving parts in any electronic piece the more things can and do go wrong. With many you not only lose the device that is not functioning, but one may have to lose the whole tv and all if it needs to be taken for repairs.

I have always been a peripheral person when it comes to electronics and that goes decades back. I have many components in lieu of 1 or 2 that do it all. The components individually usually cost less than an all-in-one type and I have had very few of the many I've owned quit on me.

If one is looking for convenience and space saving I can kinda understand. But a non Blu-ray DVD player can be bought pretty darned cheap now and most of them are not what I consider to be a big device. With new tv sets now coming with HDMI outputs and DVD players coming with HDMI inputs, it takes only the 1 cable to connect the 2.

Whatever works for each person. Just expressing my views on all multi function electronic components.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have 3 older TV's with built in VCR's, never a problem, in fact, they all still work just fine!!!

Super Contributor

Check out Amazon first. I bought 2 TVs for my guest rooms from Amazon and I can't believe how good the quality is, and free shipping. Not saying the HSN TS isn't good, but it's worth looking on Amazon before making a final decision.

Honored Contributor

I've also had TV/VCR and TV/DVD units over the years and never had one iota of problems with any of them.

BUT, for me the problem is the notion of a generic brand electronic item. I stay away from generic brands with electronics because there are just inherently too many problems.