Contributor

4/8/14 XP PANIC-Can still use? No new one yet!

Have xp and I.E. 8. Haven't got a new one yet. Hearing and reading conflicting info everywhere as to safety of using this until new one up and going. Is NAV enough for several wks til new computer installed? No hi-techie skills to work with and noone to help. Feel like I've crammed one semester's worth of tech stuff into my head in less than a wk. Really, really, REALLY hate it too. Changes so quickly- cripes even this wk to 8.1 update. Have found Dell phone sales /chat to be outrageously rude, unhelpful, time-wasting calls shunted all over world and Americans terrible in TX...Same at Best Buy. Learned a bit at Staples. Have been on-line so many hrs per xps 8700, desktop/wired, sw, keyboard, big-time worries over ease on eyes w/i Ultrasharp Monitor choice, surge protector, qvc clickfree backup HD801 outmoded. Looking at Seagate backup. This will be a desktop one computer household and alot at stake. No wi-fi wanted. Couldn't have happened at a worse time//$$$ too. Thanks MS- not. Anyone know how to avoid making some bad decisions? Delivery dates are clear up to May now and hence worry about using existing system. Will backup on last day and not afterwards. ????? My life has come to a screeching halt spending non-stop time/energy on this and corneas ready to fall out of head from being on-line so much researching all.

Super Contributor

Re: 4/8/14 XP PANIC-Can still use? No new one yet!

Slow down, take a deep breath, don't worry. Your computer with XP will very likely continue to operate exactly the same for a long while.

MS will no longer fix issues on XP systems once the drop off date rolls by. It doesn't mean there is a time bomb and old computers will fail.

The change isn't happening quickly - computers change and improve every few years. The XP system was installed on computers made between 2001-2005. That is a dinosaur in computer years.

Replace your computer as soon as you can afford it, don't rush out this week. The only thing you may be at risk from is a virus, so just make sure you have important data saved somewhere (in the cloud, on a disc, etc).

Respected Contributor

Your computer will be more vulnerable to malware once Windows updates stop. Hackers know the vulnerabilities and will exploit them. With that being said, you will be protected by your anti-virus and anti-males programs until they stop supporting XP. It usually doesn't take long for companies to follow Microsoft's lead. You have time to buy a new computer which I think you should do.

If you have a local computer shop, go and talk to them about building you a computer. You can still get Windows 7 which I think would be good for you. If you do go with Windows 8, there is a small utility called Classic Shell that makes Windows 8 look like older version of Windows.

Classic Shell

Esteemed Contributor

You can save some extra money when buying from Dell online. The program is called ""Member Purchase"". I would suggest the Ultra Sharp U2412M display with a Basic XPS 8700. This is a nice quality display for aging eyes. It will work well with your computer's video card.

Honored Contributor

There are a number of great anti malware companies that will run support for XP. Top of the line Kaspersky and Bitdefender software are going to keep working with XP and Norton might. Look on the website AV test and see. You can also upgrade to windows 7. Check if your computer is compatible at Microsoft.

Honored Contributor

On 4/6/2014 Mindy D said:

There are a number of great anti malware companies that will run support for XP. Top of the line Kaspersky and Bitdefender software are going to keep working with XP and Norton might. Look on the website AV test and see. You can also upgrade to windows 7. Check if your computer is compatible at Microsoft.

I was helping my mom with her computer today & got a notice that AVAST is also going to support XP - for the next three years anyway.

Honored Contributor

Im sorry to disagree with some posters who advise buying new computers directly from Dell and HP. This what I have always done in the past, but I have been computer price shopping for two months and Office Depot online, Walmart online and Costco online have much better deals than from the manufacturer sites. These companies also had better deals in their stores. I have been looking every single day.

Respected Contributor

Im sorry to disagree with some posters who advise buying new computers directly from Dell and HP. This what I have always done in the past, but I have been computer price shopping for two months and Office Depot online, Walmart online and Costco online have much better deals than from the manufacturer sites. These companies also had better deals in their stores. I have been looking every single day.

That is only true if you compare the hardware installed. That includes the processor, hard drive, memory, video and audio. Some of us like to customize our computers and that is best done at the website. If you really do find a better price at a B&M store, buy it. If buying a notebook computer, make sure the vents are on the side and not the bottom.

Esteemed Contributor

http://www.digitaljournal.com/technology/op-ed-what-happens-to-windows-xp-after-april-8/article/379...

Why would someone upgrade an older computer to Window 7? You can buy a new one.

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2014 nutmeg3 said:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/technology/op-ed-what-happens-to-windows-xp-after-april-8/article/379...

Why would someone upgrade an older computer to Window 7? You can buy a new one.

Not me. It's cheaper to buy new.