Respected Contributor

Question About Windows SkyDrive

I've heard that Windows SkyDrive is a cloud storage program. Does anyone here use it? Does it backup files and photos? Is there something better? Any advice will be appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Question About Windows SkyDrive

I have the free version, and use it to store my hiking photos and school stuff. I never tried backup anything, although they do offer it.

Regular Contributor

There's no such thing as sky drive. They have One Drive. Sky Drive was nixed because of a copyright lawsuit. It's the same as any of the other millions of cloud based storage whatchamacallits....
Super Contributor

Article with some good info and recommendations for your question: http://designzum.com/2014/04/02/best-free-dropbox-alternatives/
Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2014 susan_ca said:

I have the free version, and use it to store my hiking photos and school stuff. I never tried backup anything, although they do offer it.

Susan, thanks for the response. What is your free version called?

Super Contributor

i use dropbox its free and good.

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2014 smokymtngal said:
On 4/3/2014 susan_ca said:

Susan, thanks for the response. What is your free version called?

When I signed up, it was called SkyDrive. They recently changed name to OneDrive. Here's the link if you like to sign up. https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

ETA: When I signed up, they gave 25GB. I just looked and they only give 7GB now. It's free. Smiley Surprised)

Trusted Contributor

I am a contract employee which means I have to deal with various companies and their file-sharing applications. One company uses Google Drive, another uses Dropbox, and I use OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) for my personal stuff. All of my devices sync with all of them. They all work pretty much the same. Just install OneDrive and follow the directions to create your own folders in the OneDrive folder it installs for you. You can then save files in the folder(s). BTW, photos, documents, music, etc. are all files. Any device where you install OneDrive and give it your OneDrive account info, you can tell it to sync your OneDrive files so they show up on all your devices. It's awesome! Think of these applications as special folders on your PC. Whatever you put inside the special folder is then saved to the "cloud". Your other devices can then get those files from the "cloud". Keep in mind that if you make a change to the file on any device, that change will happen to the file on all the other devices!
KJPA
Super Contributor

On 4/8/2014 KJPA said: I am a contract employee which means I have to deal with various companies and their file-sharing applications. One company uses Google Drive, another uses Dropbox, and I use OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) for my personal stuff. All of my devices sync with all of them. They all work pretty much the same. Just install OneDrive and follow the directions to create your own folders in the OneDrive folder it installs for you. You can then save files in the folder(s). BTW, photos, documents, music, etc. are all files. Any device where you install OneDrive and give it your OneDrive account info, you can tell it to sync your OneDrive files so they show up on all your devices. It's awesome! Think of these applications as special folders on your PC. Whatever you put inside the special folder is then saved to the "cloud". Your other devices can then get those files from the "cloud". Keep in mind that if you make a change to the file on any device, that change will happen to the file on all the other devices!

I was trying to sync my file couple of days ago. Being not such a computer/tech savvy, how do I go about doing that? Is there an option/button/tab on the OneDrive site that I need to click on? I don't want to backup everything on my computer, just certain file folder(s). Thanks in advance. Smiley Surprised)

Honored Contributor

Between Fbook capturing and storing our images and SkyDrive/OneDrive storing our files, I feel like Big Brother really is here. Maybe they should call it SpyDrive.