Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Bought a New Computer in the Last Three Months and Loves It?

I just received a brand new laptop which the manufacturer's tech agent and supervisor have deemed to have a defective screen with no display. I really did my homework before this purchase and I'm so disappointed. I did not get it from QVC. I am returning it for a refund. I know macs are reliable, but they are out of my price range. Please don't tell me about the durability of your older computers, because the newer ones are not the same quality. If you have a newer one, with good build quality and reliability, could you let me know the specs, brand, when purchased, where purchased.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Bought a New Computer in the Last Three Months and Loves It?

Why don't you post the brand of your defective computer? How do you expect people to recommend something other than what you bought?

Respected Contributor

No matter what brand you purchase, you can get one that is "DOA" (dead on arrival) when you receive it. It even happens with Mac computers. When that happens get in touch with the manufacturer and either ask for a replacement or a refund. As with any product, there are no absolute guarantees in spite of your diligence before making the purchase.

Respected Contributor

I love my newer computer. It is over 3 months old, but under a year. It is a Toshiba laptop. I got it direct from the company and got a great deal. I did buy one with a lot of everything as far as speed, storage, etc. I wanted it to last for a while.

Super Contributor

The only computers I love are my Apple ones.
Respected Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Pinkroses said: The only computers I love are my Apple ones.

She stated in her original post that she couldn't afford the mac computers. Not sure why you replied.

Super Contributor

My husband bought an HP laptop on sale at Best Buy after Christmas. It was around $350. He is very happy with it. Check them for sales. They always have something on sale.
Trusted Contributor

I got a 17.3" HP Pavilion last month from walmart.com. They put a bunch on clearance before bringing in updated models. The clearance items are gone, but they still have a good selection.

I paid $498, it was originally $598. It doesn't have MS Office, but I use free Apache Open Office. I dumped the Norton. The quality seems to be better than my old HP laptop, and I'm 100% pleased with it. No complaints, not even about Windows 8.1.

Key Features and Benefits:

• AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M accelerated processor
    3.50GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
  • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more on the HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System
  • 10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your Silver 17-e049wm HP Pavilion 17.3" Laptop with AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M Accelerated Processor
  • 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display
    AMD Radeon HD 8650G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 4206MB total graphics memory

Additional Features:

• The HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System has a HP TrueVision HD webcam
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA port, 1 x HDMI port
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery

Software:

• Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 Operating System
  • Norton Internet Security (60-day subscription)
  • HP Recovery Manager
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Caffeina said:

I got a 17.3" HP Pavilion last month from walmart.com. They put a bunch on clearance before bringing in updated models. The clearance items are gone, but they still have a good selection.

I paid $498, it was originally $598. It doesn't have MS Office, but I use free Apache Open Office. I dumped the Norton. The quality seems to be better than my old HP laptop, and I'm 100% pleased with it. No complaints, not even about Windows 8.1.

Key Features and Benefits:

• AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M accelerated processor
    3.50GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
  • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more on the HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System
  • 10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your Silver 17-e049wm HP Pavilion 17.3" Laptop with AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M Accelerated Processor
  • 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display
    AMD Radeon HD 8650G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 4206MB total graphics memory

Additional Features:

• The HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System has a HP TrueVision HD webcam
  • 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA port, 1 x HDMI port
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery

Software:

• Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 Operating System
  • Norton Internet Security (60-day subscription)
  • HP Recovery Manager

This I probably a very nice computer, but is running Window 8. The latest version is 8.1. A new computer should come with the current software.

Honored Contributor

I bought the last Dell TSV laptop - Intel core i5. It was item h225900. It's my third Dell from QVC. The last two worked great. Had each for around 7 years. Had to replace because they were outdated. So far so good. I'm slowly learning to navigate the new Windows. It's a big change from windows XP!! My next move is for a wireless printer.