Honored Contributor
I have an old 13" tv in my kitchen and am looking to get a Samsung 22" set. I have Time Warner Cable and the cable box is HD. I want to know if I have to buy an HDMI cable or the cable that comes with it is enough? I'm not going to be using a DVD player or Blueray player with the tv. Also I have a small table and now have to find a place for the cable box. The stand doesn't have a shelf. Would a monitor riser be a good idea?TIA
Valued Contributor

Re: Question About HDMI Cable

Jordan, we also have a 22" Samsung TV in our bedroom and Time Warner Cable. The HDMI Cable that comes with it is enough.

Enjoy your new TV. We love ours.

Honored Contributor

If you end up needing any more HDMI cables, Amazon has really nice ones (their own brand) in 3', 6', 9', and 15'. Great quality HDMI cables! I really love that I can get them as short as 3' because there are enough cables hanging back there, behind all my TVs, and the 3' ones are very useful for me whether it's for a blu-ray player, Tivo, or my Roku 3 that I have on one TV. Plus, my little kitchen and desk TVs are in small spaces and I hate having so much cable back there. Smiley Happy

I have two Samsung 19" TVs (one for my kitchen and one in my office, on my desk) and they are such nice little TVs. Hope you enjoy yours. Samsung is a good brand.

As for a 'riser' as you mentioned - that is the perfect idea so that you have a little shelf to put the cable box below the tv. I use these kinds of tv/monitor shelves a lot. You can get some that are a swivel stand or some that don't swivel. There are tons of great choices in every conceivable size. I have a few different ones that I got from Amazon. Some of them have height choices (little legs that fit in and you can use one set, two, three, etc to make it as high as you want). Several good brands make very useful and durable stands.

Respected Contributor

If you want to enjoy the quality picture your cable box can provide, use a HDMI cable. If the cable provided by the cable company is a coaxial cable, the picture won't look good.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your replies.The cable that comes with my cable box isn't a coaxial cable so I think it should be okay. I've been trying to get ideas for a riser of some kind and have looked on Amazon and Staple's websites for some thing that will work. I just hope I'll be able to hook up the tv myself!

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2014 jordan2 said:

Thank you for your replies.The cable that comes with my cable box isn't a coaxial cable so I think it should be okay. I've been trying to get ideas for a riser of some kind and have looked on Amazon and Staple's websites for some thing that will work. I just hope I'll be able to hook up the tv myself!

I don't know if there is a huge difference between cable equipment, from company to company (I have Charter), but with my cable box situations I had to first hook the coaxial cable that comes through the wall to the cable box (in). Then another coaxial cable goes from the box (out) to the television. Then, the HDMI cable goes from the HDMI port on the cable box to the HDMI port on the television.

Coaxial cable is just what hooks you through the cable service. The HDMI cable is what gets you availed of the HD channels.

Did that make sense? It's quite easy. Then, if it's the first time you are using that cable box you might have to activate it - either on the phone with the cable company or just go online and you can activate it on your account possibly. With Charter that can be done, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I found a setup manual for my cable box on the Web site of the cable company. It helped me install my TV. You can also find info using Google search. You will need the name and model number of the set top box.
Super Contributor

On 3/27/2014 chickenbutt said:

I don't know if there is a huge difference between cable equipment, from company to company (I have Charter), but with my cable box situations I had to first hook the coaxial cable that comes through the wall to the cable box (in). Then another coaxial cable goes from the box (out) to the television. Then, the HDMI cable goes from the HDMI port on the cable box to the HDMI port on the television.

Coaxial cable is just what hooks you through the cable service. The HDMI cable is what gets you availed of the HD channels.

Did that make sense? It's quite easy. Then, if it's the first time you are using that cable box you might have to activate it - either on the phone with the cable company or just go online and you can activate it on your account possibly. With Charter that can be done, anyway.

Chickenbutt - you shouldn't need both the HDMI cord and the other cord from the box to the tv. The set up should work like this - cable from the wall to the box > HDMI cord from the box to the tv. If you have the cord with the red,,white, and yellow thingys (technical term, lol) also running from the box to the tv, this is duplicate. Plus the red, while, yellow connection is not HDMI.
Regular Contributor

I agree with Lynnj. By the way, the red, whte and yellow "thingys" is called the RCA connectors. It's either the connectors or the HDMI cable--not both.

Esteemed Contributor