Super Contributor

I received my new iPad last week, and since I'm a dummy when it comes to electronics, I asked a grandson to set it up for me. Well, there are some mistakes that I can't find a way to change. Is there any way to get it back to "new" status so I can start over?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Super Contributor

Re: Need Help With New iPad Air

Yes, but you will lose any pictures you took on it unless you did an iCloud backup.

Otherwise, Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings

Just be sure you really want to do this. What kind of mistakes are there? Maybe we could help.

Super Contributor

Well, I haven't been able to do anything on it because first of all Apple rejected my Apple ID. Also he got my birthday wrong so whenever I try to change anything, I get "doesn't match" what was first entered. Also, he put my internet email address in so any correspondence from Apple goes to my computer instead of to my Mail on the iPad. I've tried to find the mistakes and change them, but haven't had any luck there either.

I think I'm better off starting over and trying it myself. He meant well, and he's usually so tech savy, but he's only 12 yrs. old, so I have no hard feelings about it.

Thank you for the settings. I will try it on my own now.

And thanks for your help.

Respected Contributor

I'd suggest you start over and set it up yourself.
Esteemed Contributor

I took my old original IPAD', my new IPAD Air and my IPHONE to the nearest Apple store shoved everything across the counter and said "Set me up". 20 minutes later I walked out with everything done.
Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2014 KathyPet said: I took my old original IPAD', my new IPAD Air and my IPHONE to the nearest Apple store shoved everything across the counter and said "Set me up". 20 minutes later I walked out with everything done.

Sometimes this is the right thing to do and I've got no issues with people who know this is the best option for them - because the only thing that matters is what the best option is for the user.

That said, the thing that matters to me is what happens when I run into a problem. Can I resolve it on my own or am I bound by the schedules of others? I learned how to do it all myself because of I encounter an issue, I want to be able to fix it on my own and not have to take it in to someone else to fix. I'm at the mercy of others with my car because I don't have the space or tools needed to deal with that even if I had the knowledge and skills to address more than a tire change. My electronics I can handle on my own because the best option for me is to be able to manage them on my own and not have to worry about waiting for or paying anyone else.

Respected Contributor

Going to the Apple store is fine for those with one close by. The closest Apple store for me is either Chicago, Indianapolis or St. Louis. Not close enough to stop by with a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 3/25/2014 KathyPet said: I took my old original IPAD', my new IPAD Air and my IPHONE to the nearest Apple store shoved everything across the counter and said "Set me up". 20 minutes later I walked out with everything done.

Sometimes this is the right thing to do and I've got no issues with people who know this is the best option for them - because the only thing that matters is what the best option is for the user.

That said, the thing that matters to me is what happens when I run into a problem. Can I resolve it on my own or am I bound by the schedules of others? I learned how to do it all myself because of I encounter an issue, I want to be able to fix it on my own and not have to take it in to someone else to fix. I'm at the mercy of others with my car because I don't have the space or tools needed to deal with that even if I had the knowledge and skills to address more than a tire change. My electronics I can handle on my own because the best option for me is to be able to manage them on my own and not have to worry about waiting for or paying anyone else.

Nicely said!!!
Super Contributor

My suggestion is to start over. The set up is really easy, it will walk you through everything. But...another suggestion is to call apple care. It's free for you since you just bought it. Explain to them what happened, and I can guarantee that one of the really nice phone techs will walk you through set up step by step. Apple customer service is excellent, and they speak English so you will have no problem understanding them.
Super Contributor

It's pretty easy to set up. If I can do it, so can you.