Frequent Contributor

Need Help Connecting to WiFi

I'm not having any luck trying to connect my Smartphone to a WiFi network. I followed the instructions (step by step) but when it asks me to enter a password, I'm not sure WHICH password is required. I've tried the one I use for our PC, but it doesn't accept it. Any suggestions???

I was hoping to get an answer here from a tech savvy person, without having to contact Verizon, as there's always a long wait for a CSR.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help Connecting to WiFi

Does it want the key off the router? It is a long sequence of letters and numbers.

Valued Contributor

All the info you need should be on your router. The password should be the wep key#. Good luck.

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Frequent Contributor

lolakimono & Helen 852,

I checked the label on my router and it only has a Serial #, MAC address # and another 8 digit # below that, but nothing that says WEP KEY.

I've tried each one without success. Thanks anyway, I appreciate your effort.

Respected Contributor

Unless you know the security key number, you will NOT be able to connect.

Honored Contributor

I never use a number off the router and choose my own WEP key when I set my router up. Everything from my computers and phone to my Kindle use the same password to log into my WIFI network, so I don't know why you're not able to get into your phone with the same code as your computer.

Some things to consider:

Are you entering it correctly? (Seems routine, but I always check - my dad had to call me because his Apple ID password wasn't working and it was because he wasn't using a capital letter where he needed to.)

Does your service have a device maximum? Most don't now, but some services tried to charge you more per device and would only allow a set number of devices to register on your home wireless network. That was before people revolted because it's YOUR data line and you're already paying for it to come into your house, they shouldn't be charging you per device. You may need to call you internet service provider and ask them about that.

Respected Contributor

The other devices are connecting because someone entered the correct security number. If the computer connects via a Cat5 cable, you don't need to know the number. My bet is the OP didn't set up the router or connect any of the devices and that's why she doesn't know what the security number is. Many wireless routers now have a default security number and it's located on the bottom of the router.

Esteemed Contributor

The OP needs to call Verizon for help.

Honored Contributor

Do you keep a file for your network? It should have everything in it, including your network key. It won't necessarily say 'WEP key' as WEP is kind of an outdated level of security.

Hopefully, you have a newer router with a higher level of security.

Once you figure out what it is, you should write it down and keep it in your file for your current network set up, with the booklet, receipt for your router, and all other pertinent info.

If you didn't make your own password/key then, as already mentioned, the one that came with the router is indicated on the bottom of the router.

I don't think your ISP can help with this, as it's info that YOU should have. I cannot imagine that they would know the key for your router unless, possibly, if you purchased it from them (i.e. it's their branded router).