Contributor

Hello. I don't post over here, but I am hoping for some advice from those that know their stuff.

I am pretty much technology deficient and need some advice on tablets. I have a desktop computer, laptop, Nook, and smartphone already but am considering also getting a tablet. I do online shopping, video streaming, check email and play app games. I honestly don't even know what a tablet has to offer, so I'm looking for advice on if one would still be worthwhile. I use my smartphone a lot for online searching and videos, and find the laptop too bulky (17") for use a lot of the time. I also have 9 & 12 year old kids who could use it.

Could someone please tell me what tablets are useful for and if it would really benefit someone like me who already has the other devices?

Thank you so much!

Super Contributor

Re: Tablet advice needed please

We have two desktop's, one lap top, smart phones and an iPad...plus a Kindle. I use my iPad a lot. I don't play games, aside from Solitaire...on anything. We purchased our iPad with Verizon service 24/7 so that no matter where I am, I have access to the internet, without needing a wifi connection. I use it when I'm riding in the car, etc. Since it's an iPad, I can Facetime with our granddaughter,other family members and friends, who have iPhone, iPads or iPods. I can watch Netflix and HBO with our current home accounts for both, on my iPad. I have the Kindle app downloaded on my iPad, so that I can read my books on either device. I watch QVC live on my iPad, CNN live, etc. In other words....I use this tablet all of the time. {#emotions_dlg.lol} I wouldn't be without my tablet. So easy to use, and so handy. I have a full size iPad, and carry it in my purse all of the time.

Respected Contributor

I have an iPad and use it when I travel or play Words with Friends. It really doesn't do what I need from a computer.

Trusted Contributor

I too am shopping. I haven't tried any Apples (cept for I Pods). But I sampled Samsung Galaxy at Target, it is thin, weighs nothing, seems to be very quick & respnsive, but the image might be alittle dim, I could not really judge because of store lighting. It currently sells for $350! Wrong choice? Currently own Lenovo pc with 8-1, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos....
Honored Contributor

You could buy the iPad Mini since you don't want a larger tablet. If it does not benefit you your kids will love it. We have a desktop, 2 laptops, iPad, 2 Kindles.

Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/15/2014 LuvMM1 said: I too am shopping. I haven't tried any Apples (cept for I Pods). But I sampled Samsung Galaxy at Target, it is thin, weighs nothing, seems to be very quick & respnsive, but the image might be alittle dim, I could not really judge because of store lighting. It currently sells for $350! Wrong choice? Currently own Lenovo pc with 8-1, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos....

You may want to look at Samsung's new pro tab products at their site. You should also look at Apple.

Honored Contributor

I purchased my first iPhone several years ago instead of getting a laptop, oddly enough. That device turned out to be a real workhorse. These days, smart phones and tablets can do just about (but not quiteSmile) the myriad of things the larger devices do, 'way too many things to list here. And they have the added bonus of being smaller, easier to carry around during the day and when traveling.

The choice of device is personal and subjective, and I always recommend asking family and friends, thinking about what we want the device to do for us, and (if possible) going to a store to see and try a variety before buying.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it would be worth it for us. I really appreciate the input.

Occasional Contributor

I would avoid an iPad if I were you, unless your smartphone is an iPhone. Since you said you were "technology deficient" and said that you own a nook, I think you should go with an android tablet. That way, you don't have to learn the operating system on the iPad.

Contributor

On 2/16/2014 YoungSinema said:

I would avoid an iPad if I were you, unless your smartphone is an iPhone. Since you said you were "technology deficient" and said that you own a nook, I think you should go with an android tablet. That way, you don't have to learn the operating system on the iPad.

Thank you for the advice! My phone is an android and I am very happy with how it works, so I will definitely take your advice and check out an android tablet instead of the iPad. I hadn't even thought of having to learn a new operating system, so I'm very grateful you mentioned that.