Trusted Contributor

Which iPad to purchase? Newest one or older generation?

My mom is a teacher and is thinking about buying an iPad for school related things. Is an iPad 2 good enough? Is it worth it to buy the latest generation, from a longevity standpoint? She will not be upgrading every other year. Anyone have positive or negative experiences with Apple refurbished products?
*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Which iPad to purchase? Newest one or older generation?

How much does she really want to spend?

I have an iPad2 and it is fine for me, but I looked at the newest ones in the store and they really run faster and the screen is sharper. If I were looking now I would go for the newest, you can't go wrong with Apple's refurbished goods.

If she can visit the Apple store and spend time with a sales person and pick their brains.

Respected Contributor

I like to buy the newest version of anything electronic, but don't upgrade a lot. I have an iPad 3 which was the latest when I bought it. Not sure when I will get a newer one.

Honored Contributor

If she is not going to upgrade often, I would invest in a newer model. As new iPads and phones come out, new apps stop working with older software. While you can upgrade your software for free, eventually you get to a a point where your system just isn't built to run the latest software and you will lose access to some apps or have to upgrade your hardware.

The latest iPhone is the iPhone 5S with iOS7 (also for the iPad) and iOS 7 is not compatible with the iPhone 3GS or anything earlier. The iPhone 3GS came out in 2009 and was replaced by the iPhone 4 in 2010, so that gives you an idea of the timeline.

If you aren't going to upgrade often, I think it's worth it to get the newest hardware to give yourself more time to keep the software current.

Super Contributor

I think iPad 2 is getting a little dated now - I have an iPad 3 but they don't sell that anymore. You could always look at the certified refurbished ones they sell on Apple.com for a slight discount.

Honored Contributor

On 2/11/2014 Bikkie said:

I think iPad 2 is getting a little dated now - I have an iPad 3 but they don't sell that anymore. You could always look at the certified refurbished ones they sell on Apple.com for a slight discount.

I wouldn't buy a 2 now.

Respected Contributor

I never buy old technology.

Super Contributor

On 2/11/2014 glb613 said:

In all fairness, not everyone can afford the latest and greatest but iPad 2 is very dated technology. My iPad 3 works great but once they implement an iPad with the fingerprint sensor like I have on my iPhone 5S I will upgrade.

Respected Contributor

I just upgraded to the Air from a iPad 1. Its a little bit smaller and lighter than the regular size iPads, but not as small as the Mini. The clarity is great and the speed is much improved from my 1. The problem was since IOS 7 was released, I couldn't up grade the 1 at all and couldn't run the newer apps. I don't think I would get an older model. Just in case there are more upgrades to the software in the near future. Apple is always improving every year.

Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2014 Bikkie said:
On 2/11/2014 glb613 said:

In all fairness, not everyone can afford the latest and greatest but iPad 2 is very dated technology. My iPad 3 works great but once they implement an iPad with the fingerprint sensor like I have on my iPhone 5S I will upgrade.

If others want to buy old technology, so be it. I never do. What you buy new becomes old technology soon enough. I'm not going to start off "old".