Honored Contributor

While shopping for a new car today .....

we noticed they have internet radio on the "infotainment" system and you can , using on star, play it through your smart phone if you want. A lot of new electronic features - while we went for a test drive we used the back up camera - loved that. We were driving a Buick SUV and noted it also has a warning light that comes on in the driver's side mirror to tell you if there is any obstruction in your blind spot as you are changing lanes. Also, you can download an app so that you can open or lock the doors, turn the engine on or off or honk the horn or light the lights remotely, from your smartphone. of course there is a GPS and the entire radio /computer system is all touchscreen. i can just see myself on our trips home to Pa playing around with all the electronic toys as DH drives.
Honored Contributor

Re: While shopping for a new car today .....

On 12/24/2013 sashamatthews said: I picked up a 2014 AWD Ford Fusion two weeks ago. For 20 years I have had SUVs; a small sedan is just the thing for me now. It is "loaded" - all the electronic toys. It is really a remarkable vehicle.
OMGosh I love our 2014 Ford Escape! It does have a lot of gimmicks, but for me, they make driving much safer and more fun.
Respected Contributor

On 12/24/2013 BonnieBelle said:

Too much for me. I prefer basic cars. I would never use any of that stuff and wouldn't pay extra to have it, it must add a lot to the price of the car. Just more expensive stuff to break and mess up the car when it doesn't work and cost a fortune to fix.

I am totally with you on this one. I wish we could go back to basics. I would love just electric windows and doors, etc. The only thing extra would be the backup camera. They can keep all the extra fancy stuff. I have to pay so much more for things I would not use and forgot I had. Prices just keep going up and up. Give me a well built comfortable but nice vehicle and I would be thrilled. I don't live in my car and don't need things to play with while I am driving.
Super Contributor

On 12/24/2013 mistriTsquirrel said:
On 12/24/2013 Schnapsideen said:
On 12/24/2013 mistriTsquirrel said:

If you have the money to buy a new car, why would you buy a Buick???

They are not dependable vehicles at all...I guess that's why you will need the OnStar...and all of the apps and stuff to keep you busy while you're waiting on the side of the road...

That is totally incorrect about Buick. Why would you make an outlandish statement like that without having any idea about quality and dependability ratings???????????????

Because my family got sick of sitting in broken down Buicks waiting for help on the side of the road. To be fair, we also had issues with Chevrolets and a Ford as well.

I had my Civic for 13 years and it never once broke down. There wasn't a single incident when I had to take it in for anything other than routine, planned maintenance. I traded it in, and I miss the heck out of that thing.

I miss my Honda CRX that I kept for 10 years--I still see it being driven around town and it was an '88 model. Now I drive a Toyota Yaris (still made in Japan) which I love....my brother works for General Motors and he doesn't like I drive Japanese cars (my CRX was also built in Japan) but I tell him the quality just isn't there. I tried a Chevy Cavalier but traded it in on my Yaris. As far as Buicks go, I can't help but think those are old peoples' cars.

Honored Contributor

Indy blonde - so tell me what you have against old people - I took offense at the tone of the last sentence of your post.
Super Contributor

I just need to get down to the serious research for our new family car. I drive a minivan right now. The next one will have to either be another minivan OR a larger size SUV (I think we can get everyone into a Tahoe, but will have to check). We have three children in car seats. About to graduate up to full-size high back booster seats. I don't mind, but I can't drive a Ford Fusion with them either. Not enough space. Even in the wagon version.

I will get to it soon. I am repairing the current one more and more. It is almost 20 years old. I definitely want that backup camera on mine.

NOTE: On my smartphone, when it is plugged into the jack in the car, I can not navigate while driving. I can unplug it and navigate (by voice or manually) and then, plug it back in. It must tap into the computer in the van and knows that you are in motion somehow.

Esteemed Contributor

Love my Toyota Prius.

Esteemed Contributor

Love my Toyota Prius.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2014 happy housewife said: Indy blonde - so tell me what you have against old people - I took offense at the tone of the last sentence of your post.

She didn't say anything offensive. She just stated an opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

My parents just bought a 2012 chevy equinox with only 13000 miles. It has all this stuff and is very cool.