Weekend Preview
112 Members and 10640 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Dell 15.6" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Ofc

Started 1386368300.55 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1394046219.467 by nutmeg3

I wanted to read reviews of the TSV Dell Laptop, but it shows "Sold Out" now.

Dell 15.6" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Office

If you ordered, already received, and have been using this laptop, can you give me your honest reviews. This includes reviews of the laptop and Dell service (if you needed to call with questions).

I currently have a 2009 Dell 1545 Inspiron Laptop, and was considering getting this laptop.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
nutmeg31386374635.264951 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I have a feeling the TSV was built just for QVC customers. I like a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy. It is 15" has 64 reviews, and the specs look great. It can be found in the Home Premium collection. You would have money left to buy Ms Office.

Luvtootrav­el1386475121.8373 PostsRegistered 12/7/2013

Glad you started this blog because I have the same concern. I purchased the 17" Dell TSV and was reading some of the reviews starting to come in. At the time I was reading the few reviews that were posted there were plenty of these laptops still available on the Dell page. I started having serious concerns about the quality of this product and the "promoted" excellent customer care that would be provided after reading the reviews. Of the 3-5 reviews that were posted 75% of the customers had problems getting answers to their questions/problems from Dell customer service after being routed to 2-3 different places. This was not reassuring to me. I am a long time QVC shopper and CHOOSE to shop w/ QVC because of their excellent quality assurance standards, their excellent customer service dept. and that the company has always stood behind the things they sell. I sincerely hope QVC and Dell will stand behind this laptop if it does not live up the promised quality and customer service standards I expect and rely on from QVC. This is my first laptop and I am so excited to receive it but am now having reservations about the whole thing. It is very concerning to me that QVC has removed the reviews and this laptop from the Dell selection.

MableMay1386481202.051 PostsRegistered 12/7/2013

We purchased the 17" Dell laptop. When it arrived I of course wanted to put it to good use right away. I am sorry to say that it is being returned tomorrow. Microsoft designed the 8.1 operating system so that a touch screen could be used. The Dell that I received had a display that was not "touch screen" compatible. When the laptop was discussed and displayed on qvc, one of the selling points was the use of a touch screen.

Jkm7531386541668.443 PostsRegistered 11/30/2013

I am SO happy to find this post. I was looking for reviews, too. When I saw the laptop was removed from QVC's website, I became very concerned. I wanted to see what other people were thinking of it. I was so excited to get this laptop - mine is older and starting to lose it's power. This seemed like a good deal, so I jumped on it right away. So far it seems ok, but the quality isn't what I was expecting. I'll give it a chance, but I am having concerns. I also am a long-time qvc shopper and am very happy with their products and service. This one, however, is making me nervous. Why can't we see what experiences other purchasers are having?

nutmeg31386542061.5534951 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 12/8/2013 Jkm753 said:

I am SO happy to find this post. I was looking for reviews, too. When I saw the laptop was removed from QVC's website, I became very concerned. I wanted to see what other people were thinking of it. I was so excited to get this laptop - mine is older and starting to lose it's power. This seemed like a good deal, so I jumped on it right away. So far it seems ok, but the quality isn't what I was expecting. I'll give it a chance, but I am having concerns. I also am a long-time qvc shopper and am very happy with their products and service. This one, however, is making me nervous. Why can't we see what experiences other purchasers are having?

If you are happy with this computer return it, and go into a store.

Lyn081386551203.142218 PostsRegistered 7/30/2008

I don't like not being able to see reviews of a product. I don't believe the laptops completely sold out, as some of the colors were available in each size when I was last able to read reviews. That's why I asked people to post their reviews here (of the product and of Dell service).

When I purchased my current laptop (2009 Dell Inspiron 1545) from QVC, I had Dell software support for a time, but I had to speak to someone in India (I believe that's where it was), and it was hard to understand the person I spoke with. I understood that we would be speaking with someone in the USA if we call Dell support now. Was that your experience, if you had to call Dell for information?

ibb381386552973.0612380 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/7/2013 MableMay said:

We purchased the 17" Dell laptop. When it arrived I of course wanted to put it to good use right away. I am sorry to say that it is being returned tomorrow. Microsoft designed the 8.1 operating system so that a touch screen could be used. The Dell that I received had a display that was not "touch screen" compatible. When the laptop was discussed and displayed on qvc, one of the selling points was the use of a touch screen.

The Windows 8 operating system is annoying to navigate!!! I just got a new Toshiba from Staples- it'll be my new 'work at home' computer and the technical dept at work needs to add a bunch of things- I'm going to ask them to change it to Windows 7!!!

graycatsru­le1386553759.0775615 PostsRegistered 7/3/2013
On 12/8/2013 Lyn08 said:

I don't like not being able to see reviews of a product. I don't believe the laptops completely sold out, as some of the colors were available in each size when I was last able to read reviews. That's why I asked people to post their reviews here (of the product and of Dell service).

When I purchased my current laptop (2009 Dell Inspiron 1545) from QVC, I had Dell software support for a time, but I had to speak to someone in India (I believe that's where it was), and it was hard to understand the person I spoke with. I understood that we would be speaking with someone in the USA if we call Dell support now. Was that your experience, if you had to call Dell for information?

They didn't say the support was in the USA only. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was said the USA was among the places. They didn't say where exactly. I think if India was called before, that's who would be called again.

The other poster was returning because of the touch screen. They said there was no touch screen.

free-spirit1386554170.6872091 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007New Jersey

Windows 7 computers are still available from the OEM (original manufacturers). You can buy them on the HP, Toshiba and Dell websites.

graycatsru­le1386554337.1975615 PostsRegistered 7/3/2013

I posted on another Dell thread. I ordered this, then decided I'd be better off with a desktop. I went to cancel the next morning, but the order was already sent to dell. So it came Friday, but I haven't opened it. This no review business is upsetting.

Luvtootrav­el1386560849.773 PostsRegistered 12/7/2013

If I remember correctly the clincher about Dell's customer support was that "the INITIAL point of contact would be a customer service rep in the USA." What happens after that is any ones guess. As with most companies I imagine we'll be sent to someone overseas which is incredibly frustrating. I wish companies in the USA would respect the opinion of their customers by giving Americans jobs instead of sending them overseas. As for the "touchscreen" concern I never heard any of the host state this laptop had touchscreen. I know Rick specifically stated it DID NOT have touchscreen. So this begs the question why would Dell even contemplate putting a windows program in this laptop that is not compatible with a non touchscreen computer. It sounds like Dell and QVC are having some communication issues and Dell has some explaining to do. I'm getting the feeling Dell represented this laptop as something it isn't. This, of course, would reflect poorly on Dell's reputation especially since they claim to have placed an ad in the USA Today paper telling their own employees to buy this laptop. I would like to believe whatever is going on behind the scenes will be corrected and Dell and QVC will openly tell it's customers what's going on. It's very obvious something is wrong. I certainly would not mind waiting longer to receive the laptop if a problem was being corrected. I love QVC and have always found them to be a great company but this is bothersome. I will find it totally disappointing to have finally decided to buy my first laptop and have it be a lemon that has to be returned. Lets all hope we will receive the great laptop that was promised and advertised and QVC will have +/- 60,000.00 very happy customers who will continue to shop with them and offer free advertising for the company.

glb6131386583501.66311069 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/8/2013 graycatsrule said:

I posted on another Dell thread. I ordered this, then decided I'd be better off with a desktop. I went to cancel the next morning, but the order was already sent to dell. So it came Friday, but I haven't opened it. This no review business is upsetting.

Why would you rely on the reviews of others? Try it for yourself. If you don't like it, send it back.

glb6131386583802.58311069 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/8/2013 Luvtootravel said:

If I remember correctly the clincher about Dell's customer support was that "the INITIAL point of contact would be a customer service rep in the USA." What happens after that is any ones guess. As with most companies I imagine we'll be sent to someone overseas which is incredibly frustrating. I wish companies in the USA would respect the opinion of their customers by giving Americans jobs instead of sending them overseas. As for the "touchscreen" concern I never heard any of the host state this laptop had touchscreen. I know Rick specifically stated it DID NOT have touchscreen. So this begs the question why would Dell even contemplate putting a windows program in this laptop that is not compatible with a non touchscreen computer. It sounds like Dell and QVC are having some communication issues and Dell has some explaining to do. I'm getting the feeling Dell represented this laptop as something it isn't. This, of course, would reflect poorly on Dell's reputation especially since they claim to have placed an ad in the USA Today paper telling their own employees to buy this laptop. I would like to believe whatever is going on behind the scenes will be corrected and Dell and QVC will openly tell it's customers what's going on. It's very obvious something is wrong. I certainly would not mind waiting longer to receive the laptop if a problem was being corrected. I love QVC and have always found them to be a great company but this is bothersome. I will find it totally disappointing to have finally decided to buy my first laptop and have it be a lemon that has to be returned. Lets all hope we will receive the great laptop that was promised and advertised and QVC will have +/- 60,000.00 very happy customers who will continue to shop with them and offer free advertising for the company.

There are many brands of computers using Windows 8 that are NOT touchscreen. While it was designed for a touchscreen, it's not necessary for the computer to work. You use the touchpad or a mouse. No time during the presentation did they present the computer as having a touchscreen. While you may be upset, your complaint against QVC and Dell isn't valid.

Last edited on 12/9/2013

Marp21386597950.9174014 PostsRegistered 1/31/2012Western NC

I have been using the 17" TSV for about a week now and what I like most is the keyboard. It is the most comfortable, responsive keyboard I've ever had on a laptop.

What I like least is the screen. The ability to adjust color depth, contrast, etc. is limited and the refresh rate is limited to 60 Hz. It is acceptable but not up to laptops with Intel processors and separate video/graphics cards.

In all other aspects the AMD processor seems to be on a par with the Intel i5 and more than meets my needs but the screen/monitor has me undecided about keeping it or replacing with a laptop that has an Intel processor and a separate graphics card.

If you don't take the bait you won't get caught.

perryp1386688951.8573241 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I ordered this early in the show , & confirmed my physical address during the order.

Then this weekend I saw on line they cancelled it. I called CS who said it was a vendor problem, & QVC used my second address which included my home address AND my PO Box, so Dell automatically cancelled my order.

They said they could not reinstate the order.

glb6131386694043.23311069 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/10/2013 perryp said:

I ordered this early in the show , & confirmed my physical address during the order.

Then this weekend I saw on line they cancelled it. I called CS who said it was a vendor problem, & QVC used my second address which included my home address AND my PO Box, so Dell automatically cancelled my order.

They said they could not reinstate the order.

The good news is, there are a lot of sales going on this time of year and you should be able to buy a good computer.

PandorasBe­adBox1386694405.533608 PostsRegistered 11/1/2010VA

When I'm looking for unbiased reviews for electronics and software I always go to cnet.com. They have great reviews, many accompanied by videos and you can also see editor's and customer picks.

Good Luck!

Betty from VA

Ford12241386696006.54710776 PostsRegistered 3/25/2012

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 that I bought directly from Dell seven years ago. It is still going strong. Sometimes I am tempted to upgrade, but this laptop still fulfills my needs, so it would be wasteful to buy a new one.

Also, I would never buy any new computer that did not have an Intel processor. I don't know why, I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

stevieb1386696211.0229870 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

It's a Dell, it's AMD (and not Intel), and it's from QVC... do yourself a favor and shop for a computer locally, spend less, get what you want and avoid shipping. More to the point, buy another brand (and I don't mean HP, either...) with another processor.

Ford12241386696842.55710776 PostsRegistered 3/25/2012
On 12/10/2013 stevieb said:

It's a Dell, it's AMD (and not Intel), and it's from QVC... do yourself a favor and shop for a computer locally, spend less, get what you want and avoid shipping. More to the point, buy another brand (and I don't mean HP, either...) with another processor.


Just guessing that this was offered with "free shipping." There is no such thing as free shipping, they just add it to the sales price first.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

dawnsanta1386724795.021 PostsRegistered 12/10/2013

Thanks for posting this! It seems we all have been thinking the same thing. :)

I was so excited to receive this laptop but am a little underwhelmed, to be honest. I love the color (Merlot) and the keyboard is nice but the screen (like someone mentioned above) is lackluster. The color is not bright nor is it crisp. It doesn't really seen to be a great quality monitor.

The mouse pad device is also "eh".

When I tried to install the disc they sent separately, it froze my entire computer, so I uninstalled everything. The one great thing about it is the fact Microsoft Office was included.

I think I might return this one. :(

Jkm7531386865141.183 PostsRegistered 11/30/2013

Well, I finally made the decision today to return this laptop. I was SO excited to receive it. I watched for it to arrive every day for a week. It's a beautiful color, the 17" screen is really a treat, but the speed, quality of construction, and the screen clarity/quality just isn't up to the hipe it was given. The price is good - but I'm going to beef up the older Dell laptop I currently have and save to get a Macbook Pro. I'm done with Dell. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Rachelle1386865511.271292 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007

Dell sells inferior pc's and QVC gets a good deal on them.

Last edited on 12/13/2013

ladyfarmer1386869297.5450 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006

I received the computer last week (and I hate the 8.1 operating system). My problem is I have had the computer for a week and still no extra programs. I checked the order system and was surprised to see that they are just now shipping the programs and they are suppose to arrive on Dec. 24th. What the heck is going on with QVC. I like Dell and have had 4 different Dell computers, but this one is not for me, it is going back as soon as I get the programs.

Has anyone else had problems getting it to connect to their router? I have a linksys E2100 and from what I have read on the internet I don't think it works with windows 8. Router works just fine with everything else inclulding my windows XP and windows 7. If anyone has an answer for me I would appreciate it.

JCAPECOD1386942188.732 PostsRegistered 12/13/2013
I'm still looking for my software as well. When l called qvc, they said there was an error in processing of the order - QVC neglected to send the request to PC TREASURES to ship me the software. QVC then sent in the request. In addition, when the software does arrive , CALL PC TREASURES. They - not dell - will be your service support. Also get them on the line BEFORE you run the software, and be sure they take the trial McAfee off as well(the software you'll be getting has the lifetime McAfee on it).

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next