Labor Day Weekend Clearance
43 Members and 8996 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

New TracFone Android

Started 1383668734.393 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1384064029.197 by sjmplus1

Wow does this thing use the battery life. I have wi-fi off, etc as they recommend and I have to charge it everyday maybe twice. Is anyone else having the same issue. I checked on Apps and couldn't even find QVC. I read reviews on a lot of the apps and I was surprised to see so many negative ones.

Not sure I'm keeping the android I may just keep the regular TracFone.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

Page 1 of 1
elfiecat1383668913.623143 PostsRegistered 8/12/2013

Yep, mine also needs to be charged a lot more often than my old phone. I like it though, it has tons of features and it's fun to play with. I'm not a person who "lives" on their phone though, I'm a very casual cell user so it's probably not a good pick for someone who uses their phone all day.

lizzys1383674043.833235 PostsRegistered 11/16/2011

Look in the specifications for the phone and it will tell you how long the battery should stay charged. If your phone is new and does not stay charged any where near that specification just call Tracfone and I bet they will help you. Maybe they will send a new battery or phone.

hckynut1383675611.919185 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

Just as with any computer, any device that uses lots of graphics also has some "always open" programs. Thus they use up a lot of power. In the case of a cell phone since it is powered only by a battery? That is why many people with these types and the "i guys" buy a charger they can carry with them at all times.

With computers you have to update RAM and Processor speed to be able to handle densely graphical content, or you will wait all day or something to load, or the computer with freeze up.

This just goes with having one of these "do everything" cell phones and I don't think it is specific to any 1 brand. Much depends on what it does and how often it is doing it, especially the doing things behind the screen that you cannot see, just like your computer.

hckynut(john)

moonstone ­dunes1383677031.632186 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

I had a bad battery with my HSN TS (Tracfone Samsung Centura) after 10 days or so. I had it plugged into the AC all day/night. Probably created the problem.

One day the phone overheated while on a call and the next day I made a few texts and several brief calls and lost 50% batt life over a few hours and would not re-charge properly. The phone also felt very warm to the touch, even when idle. I only charge my replacement phone every other day. I remove the phone from AC immediately once it is charged.

Even with the apps, etc. this should not be happening with a new phone/battery.

"Sursum Corda"

nutmeg31383687458.594687 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

A member on this forum suggested an APP, JuiceDefender. It helps manage the battery usage in your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender

straykatz1383759519.668526 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

y old phone only needed charging once per week...this one needs charging every single day

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

Marybella1383773339.751874 PostsRegistered 6/19/2006

In settings you can see what is using the battery charge. You can turn off the wi-fi when not using it and that may help.

nabru0711383794141.927199 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007

If you're talking about the one they had on I think it was 2 weeks ago, I bought it and sent it back couldn't make a call on it, just in the few minutes I tried to make a call it did use at least 1/2 the battery power the instructions said the let it charge for 5hrs I think I let it charge about 5 1/2 hrs.

Last edited on 11/6/2013

Gogos1384028238.367632 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California
On 11/5/2013 elfiecat said:

Yep, mine also needs to be charged a lot more often than my old phone. I like it though, it has tons of features and it's fun to play with. I'm not a person who "lives" on their phone though, I'm a very casual cell user so it's probably not a good pick for someone who uses their phone all day.

Yes I don't use my phone much. In fact I make sure to shut it off at night and still the battery has to be charged EVERY day sometime twice.

Gogos1384028278.603632 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California
On 11/5/2013 lizzys said:

Look in the specifications for the phone and it will tell you how long the battery should stay charged. If your phone is new and does not stay charged any where near that specification just call Tracfone and I bet they will help you. Maybe they will send a new battery or phone.

Thanks I'll do that lizzys.

Gogos1384028623.68632 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California
On 11/6/2013 nabru071 said:

If you're talking about the one they had on I think it was 2 weeks ago, I bought it and sent it back couldn't make a call on it, just in the few minutes I tried to make a call it did use at least 1/2 the battery power the instructions said the let it charge for 5hrs I think I let it charge about 5 1/2 hrs.

Yes exactly, my Wi-fi is off, I don't use Apps, and all that I get is email notifications. Seems until the products for android are fix for battery life it's not for me. After all, this is suppose to be fro those who don't live on their phones. I don't. I think I'll go back to the other TracFone. My hubby has that one and it's sufficient. Nice for the email but hey, I have an iPad and a Garmin etc. Not really needed and the games would only be fro gbaby to play with who I see once or twice a year. It's too bad there are things I like about it like the keyboard and the keys displayed on the screen which may "speaker phone" easy etc. But I don't want to have to carry a battery charger with me. Our iPad really holds a charge.

sjmplus11384063747.553106 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 11/6/2013 straykatz said:

y old phone only needed charging once per week...this one needs charging every single day

Was your old phone a smartphone? Theres no way that a smartphone that is actually being used and is connected to data is going to last a week without a charge. Many people can't even get through 24 hours without a charge depending on how they're using a phone

sjmplus11384064029.193106 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006
On 11/9/2013 Gogos said:
On 11/6/2013 nabru071 said:

Yes exactly, my Wi-fi is off, I don't use Apps, and all that I get is email notifications. Seems until the products for android are fix for battery life it's not for me. After all, this is suppose to be fro those who don't live on their phones. I don't. I think I'll go back to the other TracFone. My hubby has that one and it's sufficient. Nice for the email but hey, I have an iPad and a Garmin etc. Not really needed and the games would only be fro gbaby to play with who I see once or twice a year. It's too bad there are things I like about it like the keyboard and the keys displayed on the screen which may "speaker phone" easy etc. But I don't want to have to carry a battery charger with me. Our iPad really holds a charge.

Make sure GPS is turned off too.

But you said all I get is 'email notifications.' I don't know your specific phone model but that could be a cause. Depending on how you've got your settings set up, your phone may be constantly checking your email accounts to see if there are new messages. Instead of it checking every few hours or your manually checking, that can be contributing to using your battery and data. Its not unusual to have to charge a smartphone during the day…but it really depends on your use and settings. Brightness is another thing that eats up battery…Make sure you have it on a low setting when you're indoors. If you're on the internet a lot or playing games or like others said, using anything with graphics, its going to use battery. The screen actually uses up the most battery. If your phone doesnt have a battery function, there probably is an app that does. On my phone, it clearly shows me what % battery every app or feature is using. Thats a way you can tell if one app is the offender. But its either defective or you're doing something that is eating up your battery without your realizing it. Its not clear if your past phone was a regular flip phone - a smartphone is going to use a lot more battery . On my Android, I can just go to Settings/battery --- Just as an example,, when I just checked now, my screen is using 51% of the battery and I have it on the lowest level

Page 1 of 1