Weekend Preview
136 Members and 10389 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Samsung Galaxy III TS at HSN

Started 1383403606.603 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1385613089.81 by ILikeShade

This isn't the latest/greatest Samsung phone, is it? It does look pretty cool.

Page 1 of 1
castlenv1383403875.24288 PostsRegistered 10/12/2006Henderson,NV

I actually ordered this last night. I don't need the latest, greatest edition and the price and the fact there's no contract appeal to me. Plus I already use Virgin Mobile for my current phone and am satisfied with the service. Plus I have almost 3 months to decide whether to keep it or not. Can't find that in any store!

Vickie001383413858.353990 PostsRegistered 8/11/2012

It is the latest and greatest model for the no contract providers but yes the most current model is the S4 but you need a 2 yr contract for that phone. I bought this over Labor Day Weekend when HSN had it at $299.95 so really bummed that only 2 months later they dropped the price another $50 dollars. If you are interested in this phone HSN definitely has the best price as long as you can get Virgin Mobile service in your area.

ibb381383415358.9712381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've read that S4 has all kinds of issues- I got an S3 for free over the summer- with a 2 year T Mobile contract. Just had to pay the tax. Costco has the best deals at their wireless phone kiosk! A 2 year contract goes fast, the cost ends up being on par (comparing like services and features) with no contract phones. I'm curious- why are people so hyped on avoiding cell phone contracts?

autumnsuns­et1383434524.8832401 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Why because you are locked into it for two years and the only way out is to pay some big bucks for leaving the carrier.

We just dropped at&t cell a few days ago happy about {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} that we been with them for a lot of years have not been on a contract for the last two years but just about every month I saw our rates go up I called at&t about why are our rates going up all they say well your not on a contract and at&t can raise your rates any time they want and they did.

My husband got his hours cut at work it was getting harder and harder to pay at&t $80 a month since we use our cell phones only when I'm grocery shopping I may call my husband who waits in the car do you want anything special to eat and if I send him to another store to pick up something while I'm grocery shopping he may call me to ask me a question we use our phone only for calling no texting or getting on the internet. We just bought the LG840G with 1400 minutes we are very happy with our new phones we will never go back to a contract phone.

SiameezeLo­ver!1383435096.5231830 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

If Virgin Mobil came in where I live http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coveragein VT I would get this. For me the idea of having no contract is great - in the even you lose your job - you aren't locked into an expensive contract and your don't have to spent $200 to $500 to get out of that contract.

It says my area is covered, but when I look at the map on virgin mobil the coverage looks spotty...

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

Whoops! Looks like autumnsunset and I were typing at the same time - thinking the same way. My husband works construction and he hardly worked at all last winter. I am very concerned about how much health care is going to cost us down the pike...I thank God I just got notification where I worked for the State of VT my health insurance won't be going up for 2014. I'm retired and trying to build myself up - so that maybe I could work part time - the last thing I would want is an $80 to $90 dollar cell phone bill - been there done that - not for us.

Last edited on 11/2/2013

WillsMom1383435529.88725 PostsRegistered 6/22/2008

Looks like a good deal except for the spotty coverage in our state.

autumnsuns­et13834370672401 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/2/2013 SiameezeLover! said:

If Virgin Mobil came in where I live http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coveragein VT I would get this. For me the idea of having no contract is great - in the even you lose your job - you aren't locked into an expensive contract and your don't have to spent $200 to $500 to get out of that contract.

It says my area is covered, but when I look at the map on virgin mobil the coverage looks spotty...

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

Whoops! Looks like autumnsunset and I were typing at the same time - thinking the same way. My husband works construction and he hardly worked at all last winter. I am very concerned about how much health care is going to cost us down the pike...I thank God I just got notification where I worked for the State of VT my health insurance won't be going up for 2014. I'm retired and trying to build myself up - so that maybe I could work part time - the last thing I would want is an $80 to $90 dollar cell phone bill - been there done that - not for us.

Hi we were typing at the same time I tell you we had to cut the cord from at&t I never want another contract phone I think there are going to be a lot more people getting away from contract phones with everything costing more and people losing there jobs and hours being cut no job is secure any more you just never know what the future will hold.

And believe me we did not want to sign any contract with a cell phone carrier and I did not want to worry about will I be able to pay at&t $80 we are so happy with the tracfone this is our first pre paid phone no more worrying about our at&t bill.

ibb381383440470.01312381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I use my cell as my primary source of communication- no landline phone for years since I saw that as an unnecessary monthly expense. Having a contract controls what the carriers can charge me for minutes, roaming, texting, overages and all the extras- I find it to be less worrisome than seeing what a no contract phone might cost down the line. My brother in law used no contract and pre paid phones when his family didn't use their phones often- from that, I know they charged much more when we compared services. Historically that was the case, I don't know if that's currently the case.

Did HSN talk about the phone plan details and monthly costs you get with the ts phone? How many minutes and services that includes? With making an investment like this you really need to compare apples to apples. I had been a Verizon Wireless customer for 10+ years when I switched carriers this past summer, their 'retention' dept did pretty much nothing to retain a long term customer. I did lots of research before I switched!

Last edited on 11/2/2013

autumnsuns­et1383441680.72401 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/2/2013 ibb38 said:

I use my cell as my primary source of communication- no landline phone for years since I saw that as an unnecessary monthly expense. Having a contract controls what the carriers can charge me for minutes, roaming, texting, overages and all the extras- I find it to be less worrisome than seeing what a no contract phone might cost down the line. My brother in law used no contract and pre paid phones when his family didn't use their phones often- from that, I know they charged much more when we compared services. Historically that was the case, I don't know if that's currently the case.

Did HSN talk about the phone plan details and monthly costs you get with the ts phone? How many minutes and services that includes? With making an investment like this you really need to compare apples to apples. I had been a Verizon Wireless customer for 10+ years when I switched carriers this past summer, their 'retention' dept did pretty much nothing to retain a long term customer. I did lots of research before I switched!

We didn't buy our phone from HSN we got our phone from QVC the LG840G 1400 minutes and 365 days but we got a added bonus of 160 more minutes and we got 425 days for us this is the perfect phone. We have a landline phone with time warner it was in our cable package deal.

ibb381383446196.2612381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I get 1400 minutes a month- I never use close to that. But 1560 minutes would last me about 2 months! And unfortunately my cable co offers the 3 for 1 packages for short term promos - no real deals in NJ!

nutmeg31383460316.264952 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 11/2/2013 ibb38 said:

I've read that S4 has all kinds of issues- I got an S3 for free over the summer- with a 2 year T Mobile contract. Just had to pay the tax. Costco has the best deals at their wireless phone kiosk! A 2 year contract goes fast, the cost ends up being on par (comparing like services and features) with no contract phones. I'm curious- why are people so hyped on avoiding cell phone contracts?

Verizon offered some of their long time customers a deal of $60 a month to update to a smartphone. They had some free phones with a contract. I brought a Samsung S4, with a two year deal. My phone runs fine. When I need a phone I will have to pay the full price to keep my contract price.

ibb381383482842.95712381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/3/2013 nutmeg3 said:
On 11/2/2013 ibb38 said:

Verizon offered some of their long time customers a deal of $60 a month to update to a smartphone. They had some free phones with a contract. I brought a Samsung S4, with a two year deal. My phone runs fine. When I need a phone I will have to pay the full price to keep my contract price.

Verizon Wireless was the cell phone co I was with for over 10 years- they wouldn't offer me anything - other than the publicized deals- to keep my business. I wanted to go from a single line to a 3 person family plan too- it would have been quite beneficial for them! All they touted was how great they were, yadda yadda... I wasn't convinced! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} They quoted $100 copay to get the S3 phone and $199 for the S4. For my non smart phone with them I paid about $95 month, now for 3 smart phones lines (data charges included!) with T Mobile I pay $180. I'm so glad I left VW!!! And the phone service so far has been actually better!

Vickie001383500084.76990 PostsRegistered 8/11/2012
On 11/3/2013 ibb38 said:
On 11/2/2013 ibb38 said:

Verizon Wireless was the cell phone co I was with for over 10 years- they wouldn't offer me anything - other than the publicized deals- to keep my business. I wanted to go from a single line to a 3 person family plan too- it would have been quite beneficial for them! All they touted was how great they were, yadda yadda... I wasn't convinced! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} They quoted $100 copay to get the S3 phone and $199 for the S4. For my non smart phone with them I paid about $95 month, now for 3 smart phones lines (data charges included!) with T Mobile I pay $180. I'm so glad I left VW!!! And the phone service so far has been actually better!

Virgin Mobile offers a choice of 3 plans with their phones:

1. $35 - 300 talk minutes/unlimited data and text

2. $45 - 1200 talk minutes/unlimited data and text

3. $55 - unlimited talk/data/text

What is good with a no contract phone is if circumstances change, you can easily switch to one of the lower cost monthly plans. Say you start with the $55/month plan but realize you really aren't using that phone that much for calls, you can switch to one of the plans with less talk minutes since the only difference between the plans is talk time.

Caffeina1383506436.2871881 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've been with VM for about 7 years, and got the SIII this past spring. It's a great phone and I've been very happy with it. It has 4G LTE, and you can't get any later or greater in that respect.

MidNight1383508682.11269 PostsRegistered 8/28/2013

I bought this yesterday from hsn...It was a good deal! I checked online and they had it the cheapest for no contract.I will go with the 35.00 a month plan.I have tracfone now and am happy to get rid of it..While it sits unused i hear something and look at it and its deducting min for no reason.It happens all the time and you call CS and they are no help..Not cool at all.

ibb381383535271.23312381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/3/2013 Vickie00 said:
On 11/3/2013 ibb38 said:
On 11/2/2013 ibb38 said:

Virgin Mobile offers a choice of 3 plans with their phones:

1. $35 - 300 talk minutes/unlimited data and text

2. $45 - 1200 talk minutes/unlimited data and text

3. $55 - unlimited talk/data/text

What is good with a no contract phone is if circumstances change, you can easily switch to one of the lower cost monthly plans. Say you start with the $55/month plan but realize you really aren't using that phone that much for calls, you can switch to one of the plans with less talk minutes since the only difference between the plans is talk time.

You can switch your plan around with a contract phone as well-

ILikeShade1385613089.817562 PostsRegistered 4/20/2012

I also bought the Samsung SIII from HSN during the recent TS and we really like it. We definitely didn't want another contract. So, it was great finally giving up our razor phones...Ha! But, we really don't need all the bells and whistles that the smartphones offer as we won't be using the internet when we're out and about...we both have a computer at home for that. For the first time though, me and my husband are texting one another instead of phoning and like it much better. We each have the $35 plan and it's working out great.

Page 1 of 1