Better Than Black Friday
158 Members and 18302 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

TV picture keeps going out! Help!

Started 1381538173.113 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1381758980.557 by Runner26
Flat screen TV, Samsung, no more than 3 yrs old. When I turn it off and back on, the picture comes back. Didn't get the extended warranty. Any options other than tossing it? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
straitgirl1381538698.9321936 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

Take to a repair shop??

lizzief1381541473.412625 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
On 10/11/2013 PinkSugar said:

Take to a repair shop??

Ya think? LOL It usually costs more to repair than to buy a new one these days. I was just hoping someone more technical than I might have an idea would could be wrong, other than the obvious.

Caffeina1381541827.441891 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Give Samsung a call. If it's something that can easily be taken are of they'll tell you what to do.

contented1381546797.8974736 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I had that problem with one of my Samsung tvs too. I found out one of the cables that connected it to either my blu-ray player or cable box was a bit loose and pulling out a bit because of the angle of the cord. I moved the cable to a different port in the back, and it solved the problem completely. Maybe you could check to see if that would help.

gilmoregirl1381549653.6071026 PostsRegistered 11/14/2011

when the screen goes black press the "menu" button either on the tv or the remote. If the menu comes up your television is fine. At that point you need to test your cable/satellite box, then all of your wire connections.

if the menu screen does not appear try unplugging the television (do not turn it off first) and leave it unplugged for ten minutes. See if it repeats. If it repeats you need to contact a service technician.

gilmoregirl1381549654.291026 PostsRegistered 11/14/2011

Long live double posts!

Last edited on 10/11/2013

ChynnaBlue1381550500.45610 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012
I would check all the cables, as suggested. Then I would get the model number search the Samsung website for info and/or a recall notice. If that doesn't help, do a Google search for Samsung and the model number and the issue you're having to see if there are web forums where others have reported the same issue. I have a Samsung that was out of warranty when it developed an issue. A search turned up MANY people reporting the same thing. Because it seemed really common, I contacted Samsung with the issue and said that I'd found many others had been reporting the same thing and it seemed like a faulty part. Even though my set was out of warranty, Samsung paid for the repair because it was a defective part. That was about two years ago and it's been perfect ever since.

gardenman1381577361.07717188 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Samsung (and lots of other companies) had an issue with some bad capacitors a few years back. A capacitor manufacturer came up with a better electrolyte formula for their capacitors that a rival firm then copied/stole only the rival firm's electrolyte wasn't stable over the long term and after about a year or two it would start to break down resulting in the failure of the capacitor. Capacitors are typically very, very reliable, but in this case they became unreliable and failed, typically just after the warranty period had ended. Those capacitors were used in some power supplies for HDTV's (Samsung, Sony and others) and some Apple computers. The widespread failures created all kinds of chaos. What spare parts there were got snapped up quickly and lots of very angry consumers were left screaming at people.

The good news is if that's your problem then Samsung will probably make it right, or you can fix the issue yourself. There are lots of videos on youtube showing step-by-step how to find the bad capacitors and replace them. Amazon even sells replacement capacitor kits for many Samsung models. But, that may not be your problem. I'd Google/Bing/Yahoo/whatever your make and model number and the problem and see what comes up. If the issue is the capacitors then you can move on from there. If it isn't then it's time to either take it to a shop or toss it and replace it. (By the way, I've got a Samsung and a cheaper RCA and I truly don't see much, if any, difference in image quality between the two, so if you go to replace the set, take a look at osme of the cheaper, less known names out there too. Very often you can get a comparable image for a lot less money.)

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

brii1381577596.56725262 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

Call Samsung and give them the model number of your TV. If it's a capacitor issue, they will send someone out and replace the bad ones at no charge.

pink dogwo­od1381578019.173223 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

Oh my, this isn't good to read about. Our huge unmanageable 2002 Toshiba just died too - no picture anymore. Had cable guy here 2 wks ago to check it out to make sure it wasn't them and not my tv. Turns out is IS my tv. So hubby & I are going tv shopping today in fact.

As others here have said, check ALL of your connections to make sure they are are all plugged in and not loose. I too learned this in my working years from our IT guys. Usually this is the fix. Wires become lose from their connections sometimes - this is an easy fix. I hope this is all your problem is.

My cable guy told me the 3 best TV's to look at are the three "S's" -- sharp, sanyo & samsung. Now with your samsung problem I'm not so sure. He also said buy LCD not LED nor Plasma. By the end of the day today I WILL have a brand new tv! I don't need bells & whistles nor do I need a smart tv - NOT getting one of these. Just give me a good tv with a great picture.

lizzief1381717155.462625 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
Thanks, everybody, DH - who used to sell this stuff - checked everything, and it was truly DOA. Luckily we were able to take advantage of the Columbus weekend sales, I no w have a 42" LG. Hopefully we will have better luck ! Seems like electronics are getting to be more and more "throw away." The days of buying a TV and keeping it for 20 years are long - either because technology changes so quickly, or they simply poop out!

colliegirls1381717317.786906 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

My uncle was a TV repairman when I was little, do they have them anymore??

gilmoregirl1381717879.2571026 PostsRegistered 11/14/2011
On 10/13/2013 colliegirls said:

My uncle was a TV repairman when I was little, do they have them anymore??

yes lol but unfortunately with today's technology it's generally cheaper to replace than repair :-(

Runner261381758980.54721 PostsRegistered 9/30/2013

I had 2 Olevia tv's I got from Target: 23 inch and 32 inch. The 23 inch at first wouldn't turn off; it would take multiple attempts. Then it just wouldn't turn on. This was after about 3 years of rare use. The 32 inch tv would turn off and when I would turn it back on, it would turn off after a few seconds. I did some googling and it seemed like there were problems with the models that I have with the capicatator (? spelling). There was even an instructional video on how to replace them. The parts itself was I believe only 5 dollars each at Radio Shack. I contemplated on giving it a shot to fix it but seeing that I didn't even have special tools to remove the backs of my tv, didn't even know what soldering kit was, and just plain old lazy, I posted on my condo bulletin about nonworking tv and gave it two my neighbor. I directed them to what I thought it was and my neighbor fixed it the next day. He said it took him about 5 hours to do both, counting research. He even offered to return one of the working tv to me but I had already bought an LG.

Page 1 of 1