Better Than Black Friday
81 Members and 15407 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

My tracphone won't connect to WiFi.....

Started 1376180304.727 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1376343756.93 by DARING GREATLY

I have tried everything. My son was over and whenever we try to connect, it comes back and says the password is wrong. He even called and verified the password and it is correct.

Any suggestions? I certainly don't want to pay for a phone that won't connect.

Page 1 of 1
Caffeina1376185428.8671891 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Who did your son call? You need your router password. I don't believe there's anyone you can call for that.

happy hous­ewife1376185800.44732617 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I havde the same problem with mine. Is it an LG 840G? I don't specifically care but it is irritating that they claim it is Wifi enabled and it 's really not. I was able to get on the unsecured wifi at Burger King.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Marlea Lee1376187974.141024 PostsRegistered 3/10/2010

happy housewife, if your cell was able to connect through wifi at Burger King, your phone's wifi is functioning. What you've got to figure out is why it is not accepting your password.

First check to make sure that your cell "sees" your home wifi name on the list of available wifi networks when you turn the tracfone wifi on. If the phone doesn't show your network as being available, it could be due to a privacy setting within your router itself.

If your cell does see your home wifi network, all you need to do is type in your password when prompted. The wifi routers that I have owned are case sensitive so be very careful to use caps if/where needed.

My router password has an under slash (_) which sometimes causes me grief because kindle and tracfone's keyboard underslashes look exactly like a dash to me (-)

Soooooooo, if your router password is Qvc_92, you have to be really careful that the caps are capitalized and the underslash is typed in as an underslash instead of a dash.

lkcwcs, you need to ask your son who he called to confirm your "password". Nobody but you and your family should know your password, so this leads me to believe that what you have been trying to type in as your password is not your router password at all but perhaps some number associated with your router's manufacturing data. Hope you can figure it out!

Wadzlla1376188493.3931982 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

You need the password for the wifi router in your house. The password is the same one you need to connect your home computer to the internet in your home. You cannot call anyone to get this pass word.

My router (Belkin) came with a business card that had my password on it. I taped it to the bottom of the router.

hckynut1376193114.14319879 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 8/10/2013 happy housewife said:

I havde the same problem with mine. Is it an LG 840G? I don't specifically care but it is irritating that they claim it is Wifi enabled and it 's really not. I was able to get on the unsecured wifi at Burger King.

My wife originally owned this LG840G, and when she bought her Samsung Galaxy II, I decided to keep this phone because she still had a couple hundred minutes on it with TracFone. I was using a Samsung that had about 4,000 minutes on it, which I did not like, so I opted for her 840G.

It is definitely Wi-Fi enabled as I used it when it was her phone to connect to the internet and come to this forum. Don't know what your problem is with connecting it to Wi-Fi, but you either have a bad phone, or something is wrong with your Router or Modem. The 840g definitely is Wi-Fi enabled, even though I will probably never use it for that again.

And yes, I am still using TracFone with this LG840g phone.

Last edited on 8/10/2013

Last edited on 8/10/2013

hckynut(john)

glb6131376217762.0211158 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

As posted, you need the password for your wireless router. It was establish when the router was setup. Some routers have a built in name and password located on the bottom of the device. If you didn't write it down and it isn't on the router itself, you will need to reset the router.

happy hous­ewife1376222500.67332617 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I have a Belkin router and my DH, myself and my niece have all tried to get this phone to accept that password - we too have the card attached to the router that has the password on it. I was able to set up this tablet when we got here this spring without any difficulty. The problem is within that phone. John - are you sure you weren't on the internet using the browser? I can get on the internet any time I want but it uses up my min. very quickly - if you get on using the wifi no min get used.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

glb6131376228126.0611158 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What type of security? WPA2? WEP?

flickerbulb1376230772.6471551 PostsRegistered 1/2/2005

Make sure that your router is accepting more than x number of devices. Get the router's IP address and change the number. For example, if you have a laptop, it is probably only letting one device get on the system. You need to add one more device so it picks it up.

I got a Nook and it would not pick up the signal until I added the device. Works great now!

lkcwks1376232148.53470 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks so much everyone. My son will be back over early evening so I will let him read all of this and then I will be able to answer your questions. Thanks again.

Qgirl261376236238.51714 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004
On 8/11/2013 happy housewife said:

I have a Belkin router and my DH, myself and my niece have all tried to get this phone to accept that password - we too have the card attached to the router that has the password on it. I was able to set up this tablet when we got here this spring without any difficulty. The problem is within that phone. John - are you sure you weren't on the internet using the browser? I can get on the internet any time I want but it uses up my min. very quickly - if you get on using the wifi no min get used.

I'm not John but I do have this Tracfone and we are able to use the wifi with ours here at home as well. I make sure I'm not just using the browser without wifi because if you do that, it costs you minutes. I don't use my internet on my phone hardly ever but I know it's there if I need it.

hckynut1376237376.1219879 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

When I go into "networking" is says "Wi-Fi connected". When I used it was some time back, but I did check the minutes when I signed on and when I signed off, and no minutes were used.

Don't have any other suggestions to you other than to ask "when you do the Wi-Fi set up, have you ever seen it say "connected"? If not and you are sure the router is working and the password is correct, to me the only other option is something is wrong with your particular 840g.

Hopefully you get this going.

hckynut(john)

happy hous­ewife1376242717.3932617 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I think flickerbulb is correct - too many devices on this router. We share internet with our neighbors here so we have 2 computers on it and whatever they have. (BTW - the cable co is aware we share -that is how they set it up - they split one cable between two campers, and we each get billled less than if we had individual service. I think it probably has to do with how the cable and internet is installed at the campground.) When we get to Florida I will try to set it up there.

glb6131376242869.82711158 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Is sharing the internet service legal? It's not where I live.

graycatsru­le1376246466.6935778 PostsRegistered 7/3/2013

I bought a router at Radio Shack and had to makeup a password when setting it up. I switched to AT&T verision and they put in a new router. I thought for sure the technician had me makeup a password. A family member was trying to use my wifi and I gave them the password. It took me a while, but I figured out that my new router has a different password. There's a sticker on the router box with the password. I bought this trackfone too, but haven't tried to hook up WIFI. I'm in the camp that the problem is the password.

Lynnj1376248152.3916655 PostsRegistered 12/26/2006
On 8/10/2013 Wadzlla said:

You need the password for the wifi router in your house. The password is the same one you need to connect your home computer to the internet in your home. You cannot call anyone to get this pass word.

My router (Belkin) came with a business card that had my password on it. I taped it to the bottom of the router.

You can (and should) update the password to whatever you want. The one that they sent is a factory setting. You do that in the settings section. Might have to go online to access your Belkin account to do this. Where did you go to originally set the router up, online? Thats where you go to update the password for the router.

Lynnj1376248904.58316655 PostsRegistered 12/26/2006

Just so you all know, you want to enable to wi-fi, especially when you are home and can access your wireless router. If you dont, then every time you go online on the phone (check email, online apps, etc) you are using minutes/data on your monthly phone allotment.

When you use the wi-fi at home you are not being charged against your allotment.

Here is info on what I am referring to. Although the article mentions iphone, this should be the same for all phones. Although, I am not familiar with Trackfone, which might operate differently.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networking-apple-devices/a/how-to-save-time-and-money-using-iphone-wifi.htm

hckynut1376276961.7119879 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

I think flickerbulb is correct - too many devices on this router. We share internet with our neighbors here so we have 2 computers on it and whatever they have. (BTW - the cable co is aware we share -that is how they set it up - they split one cable between two campers, and we each get billled less than if we had individual service. I think it probably has to do with how the cable and internet is installed at the campground.) When we get to Florida I will try to set it up there.

Sharing the internet? I've known some that "shared their cable tv service years ago." Those people are now in prison. I know there is no such legal thing like "sharing my internet", but now I can understand why you are having problems.

I also think you'd better check the FCC laws in your state, or you may have much bigger problems than an LG840G that won't connect via Wi-Fi.

Last edited on 8/12/2013

hckynut(john)

DARING GRE­ATLY1376343756.931546 PostsRegistered 5/23/2006

I had no problem connecting to Wi-Fi and used the password I have at home. What I'm having trouble with is on the LG840G is connecting to my e-mail at Google. It was working just fine, I could check my e-mails all day, but now it says "Login Failed." I called Tracfone over the weekend, and boy is that a process... they are rude and doesn't seem like they know what they are doing. They said they tested the phone and had me do stuff, but it still didn't connect.

They told me it was a Google E-mail problem.

Anyone else experiencing this? I will call Google (although it's hard to find a number) or go to a Radio Shack for help.

It's frustrating, because it was a feature I wanted.

Page 1 of 1