Shoes & Handbags Offers
135 Members and 13723 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

What is better xbox one or PS4

Started 1371033574.79 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1371801123.5 by ThinkOutsideTheBox

if anyone tried both?

Page 1 of 1
gardenman1371041187.1716826 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Chances are no one outside of the E3 conference in LA has tried either yet as they were just recently announced and E3 is the first place for people to play them. As a video game fan though I'd prefer the Playstation 4 over the X-Box One. (I've already got a Wii U that I love.)

The Playstation 4 has several advantages over the X-Box One and only one real drawback. The drawback is the lack of backwards compatibility with older Playstation games. If you get a Playstation 4, you can only play Playstation 4 games on it. That can get a bit annoying and expensive. If you've already got a collection of Playstation 3 games that you want to continue playing then you've got to keep both consoles hooked up. The X-Box One is also not backwards compatible so the problem is largely the same with both consoles. Nintendo made the Wii U backwards compatibility with Wii games, controllers, and accessories. The other consoles will require you to buy new controllers (if you want/need more than one) and new accessories if you need/want them. That can all get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

The X-Box One has a number of disadvantages. It's more expensive ($500 to the Playstation 4 at $400 and Wii U at $250-$300.) The X-Box One requires to be connected to the Internet once every 24 hours to verify ownership of the console/games to be able to play them. All games must be installed on the console and the console will then check with Microsoft to be sure the player is authorized. There was talk that traded/used games would require a fee to be paid to be able to play them on another console, but Microsoft is rapidly reversing themselves on that. The use of rented games is still largely up in the air (I believe) but is believed to be undoable with the X-Box One. Any games you buy and own for the X-Box One are only playable as long as Microsoft keeps up the server for that game. At any time they can decide to shut the game down and despite owning the disc, the game would be unplayable. (It's not likely they'd do that, but who knows.)

Had Sony made the new Playstation 4 backwards compatible with the current Playstation 3 games and controllers, they'd have owned the video game market this generation. The lack of backwards compatibility for the games/comtrollers though can be a big issue for some consumers. Even if you have four controllers for the Playstation 3, you'll have to replace them to have four people playing on the Playstation 4. I haven't seen a price listed for the PS 4 controllers, but $50-$60 is the likely range. Games sell for $60. So if you buy the console ($400) three additional controllers ($150-$180) and three games ($180) you're looking at a total cost of around $730-$760. The advantage to Sony is that the X-Box One costs would still be about a hundred dollars higher since the console costs $100 more to begin with and their other costs are pretty comparable.

I'm waiting until next spring/summer at the earliest before I jump into either a Playstation 4 or X-Box One console. I might pick up a Playstation 3 if the price comes down for Black Friday. I'm figuring we could see some good bargains on the older gen consoles this holiday season and it's not a bad idea to pick up one of those if you don't have them. If you want an X-Box One or Playstation 4 though, the choice, at least to me, is pretty clear that the Sony Playstation 4 is the way to go.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

sunshine451371041320.1540774 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

we have both..... the PS3 that we have definitely gets the most use. we are thinking of just selling or giving away the XBOX.

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

gardenman1371042372.35316826 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
On 6/12/2013 sunshine45 said:

we have both..... the PS3 that we have definitely gets the most use. we are thinking of just selling or giving away the XBOX.

The OP is asking about the next gen consoles that are coming out in November 2013. Both Microsoft and Sony are releasing brand new consoles this year and unless you have really good friends at the absolute highest levels of both companies, you've got the last gen consoles (Playstation3 and X-Box 360) and not the next gen ones (Playstation 4 and X-Box One.)

One of the interesting things with all three next gen conosles (I'm including the Nintendo Wii U here) is that they all seem to be bult with the assumption that Internet based cable services will be the norm before their lifespan is up. All three consoles have been designed to work as essentially an Internet cable box for those future services. Sony has been widely rumored to be creating an online cable service that could launch this fall and Intel has one ready to roll out sometime this year also. All three consoles have demonstrated lots of TV capabilities which has left many gamers confused, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that the designers are planning for an Internet based cable TV delivery service. Nintendo has their TVii service built in. Microsoft went a bit overboard demonstrating their television capabilities in the roll-out of the X-Box One, and Sony promised more news in the near future on the video services available on the Playstation 4.

Last edited on 6/12/2013

Last edited on 6/12/2013

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

BonnieBelle1371042934.9519272 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I don't know, but I am so glad my son is not interested in that stuff anymore. He was just telling me about them and the prices, and also the prices of the games you have to keep buying. Ridiculous. He has the regular Xbox that he's had for years that he and his friends used to play Live all the time with the headphones and they would talk to each other. He had the PS3 but hated it and sold it years ago to Gamestop.

They are all in college now and haven't played the Xbox Live in years. Now, he loves his Apple iPhone and Apple MacBook Pro laptop.

sunshine451371043296.4140774 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 6/12/2013 gardenman said:
On 6/12/2013 sunshine45 said:

The OP is asking about the next gen consoles that are coming out in November 2013. Both Microsoft and Sony are releasing brand new consoles this year and unless you have really good friends at the absolute highest levels of both companies, you've got the last gen consoles (Playstation3 and X-Box 360) and not the next gen ones (Playstation 4 and X-Box One.)

One of the interesting things with all three next gen conosles (I'm including the Nintendo Wii U here) is that they all seem to be bult with the assumption that Internet based cable services will be the norm before their lifespan is up. All three consoles have been designed to work as essentially an Internet cable box for those future services. Sony has been widely rumored to be creating an online cable service that could launch this fall and Intel has one ready to roll out sometime this year also. All three consoles have demonstrated lots of TV capabilities which has left many gamers confused, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that the designers are planning for an Internet based cable TV delivery service. Nintendo has their TVii service built in. Microsoft went a bit overboard demonstrating their television capabilities in the roll-out of the X-Box One, and Sony promised more news in the near future on the video services available on the Playstation 4.

Last edited on 6/12/2013

yes, i was aware of that. i am basing MY comment on what we have owned (and we have pretty much owned them ALL.... gamecube, Wii, PSP and all of the handhelds, and all previous versions of the PS and XBOX) and the PS3 and the Wii are used and enjoyed far more, hands down. if my son was going to upgrade then he would go with a PS4.

Last edited on 6/12/2013

Last edited on 6/12/2013

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

aprilskies1371043729.644713 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005

nm

Last edited on 6/12/2013

Last edited on 6/12/2013

gardenman1371679256.44716826 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

And Microsoft has had one of those "You know, we were thinking," moments and have now decided to kill off all of their game sharing limitations and go back to the old standard. It may cost them some third party support from game developers who won't be happy about that, but with Nintendo and Sony both allowing wide open game sharing, Microsoft was getting a ton of backlash and had to change their policy. With the X-Box One you will no longer have to be connected to the Internet every 24 hours to play a game, you can sell/give your old games to anyone you want, you can rent games and play them on your console. You won't be able to install the games on your hard drive and then play them without the disc, but that's about the only negative.

They were getting killed for their policy, which truthfully was sort of forced on them by the third party game developers. Trying to go it alone with Nintendo and Sony both saying, "we're not doing that" put Microsoft in a really bad spot. If you're going to do something like that, you pretty much have to do it across every platform. Microsoft was getting killed and looked like the greediest of the three. It didn't help them any that their console was also the most expensive. They've now backed off of those conditions and that makes the X-Box One a tad more competitive.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1371695359.651611 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
On 6/19/2013 gardenman said:

And Microsoft has had one of those "You know, we were thinking," moments and have now decided to kill off all of their game sharing limitations and go back to the old standard. It may cost them some third party support from game developers who won't be happy about that, but with Nintendo and Sony both allowing wide open game sharing, Microsoft was getting a ton of backlash and had to change their policy. With the X-Box One you will no longer have to be connected to the Internet every 24 hours to play a game, you can sell/give your old games to anyone you want, you can rent games and play them on your console. You won't be able to install the games on your hard drive and then play them without the disc, but that's about the only negative.

They were getting killed for their policy, which truthfully was sort of forced on them by the third party game developers. Trying to go it alone with Nintendo and Sony both saying, "we're not doing that" put Microsoft in a really bad spot. If you're going to do something like that, you pretty much have to do it across every platform. Microsoft was getting killed and looked like the greediest of the three. It didn't help them any that their console was also the most expensive. They've now backed off of those conditions and that makes the X-Box One a tad more competitive.

I was completely shaking my head in disbelief at the utter stupidity for the internet connection requirement. Way to alienate your client base before the Xbox One even goes on sale.

aprilskies1371699384.3334713 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005
On 6/19/2013 TryingToHelp said:
On 6/19/2013 gardenman said:

I was completely shaking my head in disbelief at the utter stupidity for the internet connection requirement. Way to alienate your client base before the Xbox One even goes on sale.

Connecting everyday to the internet is just ridiculous. Why would anyone want to be controlled by them for the sake of video games. I didn't think that would last. And to not allow gaming sharing and selling is absurd as well. It's not like they are selling the games for ten dollars. Those developers are making their money. It's like saying I can't resell furniture that I bought because the mfr isn't making money. Crazy

Ps4 gave them a run for their money this time.

gardenman1371737044.5716826 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Microsoft really had no choice but to back down. They were getting killed. From a purely business standpoint what they were trying to do made sense, but they needed everyone else doing the same thing and when Nintendo and Sony said no, they should have been smart enough to forget it. Instead they boldly charged ahead with their plan and got killed. The good news is they were smart enough to drop it now so the PR damage will be largely forgotten come November when the console hits the market. The bad news is the competition will still be cheaper (Nintendo and Sony,) arguably have better specs (Sony,) and will have lots more games available and backwards compatibility (Nintendo.) Microsoft's big selling point seems to be that you can talk to your TV/console to control them. I'm thinking that's not going to be a big selling point. They've fixed the giant mess, but they've still a big sales job ahead of them.

Sony could have walked away with this generation of video game console sales if they'd had the wisdom to make the new PS4 backwards compatible. That lack of backwards compatibility could have really hurt them had Microsoft been smart enough to make their X-Box One backwards compatible. Neither bothered to do it though which may end up giving Nintendo a leg up despite a somewhat botched launch and never-ending delays in getting games to market. Nintendo has some petty attractive stuff coming to market in the nearish future (Pikmin 3, Zelda Wind Waker HD, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, and more) and assuming they actually market the Wii U this year, they could do pretty well. Last year Nintendo just basically dropped the Wii U on the market and hoped people would want it. They have to step up the marketing this year to have a shot at staying competitive..

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1371801123.51611 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
The only thing that still dismays me is MS stance on the military with this. "...they have the 360..." Ummm...say what? So, MS is basically saying tough bookies military folks. We know you guys love to play these games to unwind while you are stationed overseas, on a ship, sub, etc., but we are not going to support your use of the new Xbox One. Thanks for putting your lives on the line four our country though. Sheesh.

Page 1 of 1