Guaranteed Delivery
106 Members and 16847 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Is Malwarebytes no longer a free program?

Started 1366945805.203 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1367080083.277 by lovescats

I've used Malwarebytes for quite a few years now and it's always been a free program. When I got my new Windows 8 laptop a few months ago, I installed Malwarebytes and I just got a little pop-up saying my trial version was ending in a few days.

Are there any other good, free antispyware programs out there? I currently run Avast, Superantispyware and Comodo firewall. Thanks for any info.

Page 1 of 1
bonnielu1366946345.5135908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

If you get the message again, check it carefully. Mine always offers me two choices. One is to continue free with a "lesser" version and other other one is more premium. If you go to Download dot com which is cnet you will have free choices the last I looked. Hopefully it has not changed in the last week or two.

foggygrey1366946557.993164 PostsRegistered 4/17/2006BP oil spill territory

I have the same problem. It appears to me that it is no longer free, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled the free program in the last week several times and I can no longer update the database.

Perhaps someone else will help? Suggestions for really reliable antivirus programs as well?

TIA

foggy (Mary)

gardenman1366977545.94317310 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I bought a copy of Malwarebytes a few weeks ago when Newegg had it on sale for $12.99 so I can't tell you if the free version still works now. It worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago though.

As to good anti-virus programs, I like Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE works for me and it's a fine product. I also use and recommend Secunia Personal Software Inspector to find and report outdated programs on my computer. More and more hackers are finding it easiest to exploit outdated programs on computers and Secunia's PSI will find those programs and guide you to updating them. I don't htink anyone can keep up with all of the programs on their comptuers without assistance and PSI is great at helping out.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

annie ar1366978293.58293 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

You may have downloaded the pro version by mistake. It has a 14 day trial.

chickenbutt1366992377.28325036 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Yeah, it's easy to accidentally dl the pro version. You can just uninstall and re-install.

I use the paid version. Since I have several computers, I found that I can get it pretty cheaply for purchasing multiple licenses. It's nice having it 'on board'.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

bonnielu1367024509.3375908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Just checked mine. I am still on the free version, it updates without incident and then I scan. When they ask you to update, just be sure you are not checking for the premium version.

webappq11367069535.41587 PostsRegistered 11/12/2012

try to get the right version

FunkySmily

lovescats1367073768.2071974 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006SW PA
On 4/25/2013 foggygrey said:

I have the same problem. It appears to me that it is no longer free, but I have uninstalled and reinstalled the free program in the last week several times and I can no longer update the database.

Perhaps someone else will help? Suggestions for really reliable antivirus programs as well?

TIA

foggy (Mary)

I just had this happen recently. I don't know whether I ran the program or it ran itself and then it said if I wanted to continue using it I would have to upgrade and pay for it.

I also just went back to windows firewall because I had the zonealarm free firewall and then zonealarm started to ask to update everyday but it would not update without installing the ask toolbar as my search engine. It did not give the choice not to install the ask tool bar.

Right now I've been using the free avast antivirus for about 2 years without any problems.

lovescats1367079058.3831974 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006SW PA

I'm trying the ad Aware free version. It is antispyware and antivirus. I just downloaded it and it says it installed in compatiblely mode --will just be for spyware because it recognized that I have Avast antivirus. I did use ad aware on a computer I had before and liked it but they changed and now cnet has said they have changed again for the better. Also back then it did not have the anti virus just spyware detection.

here is the link from cnet to read about it. I also clicked not to use their toolbar. I use google chrome and have it open 3 pages when I start and this did add another page for the lava soft adaware page but I went to chrome settings and removed it from the start up pages. Right now I have it doing a full computer scan and I think that will take a couple hours. And also I had to go and change the search engine back to google in settings.

Well the scan finished and it didn't find anything except cookies but I uninstalled it because then I felt the computer was running to slow.

cnet ad aware

I went back to spybot search and destroy It found some adware and malware. I removed it all expect the betty crocker coupon bar. I think ad aware didn't work or me because I didn't want to go with their antivirus. Spybot does warn you if you remove some of the adware the programs it was bundled with might not work.

cnet spybot search and destroy

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Last edited on 4/27/2013

Last edited on 4/28/2013

Last edited on 4/28/2013

lovescats1367080083.2731974 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006SW PA
On 4/27/2013 annie ar said:

This link will tell you how to revert to the free version.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/22521436-I-keep-getting-notified-that-my-trial-has-expired-how-do-I-revert-to-the-free-version-

If you read this link it gives you 3 choices?

buy now

Activate your license key which you already purchased

end trial

That's why I'm trying ad-aware by lavasoft

Page 1 of 1