New Holiday Decor
65 Members and 16627 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Straight Talk

Started 1354026612.313 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1354209490.607 by fllady

Straight Talk

Does anyone use this? Any good? Good customer service?

I am with Verizon now, but contract is over and looking for options. TIRED of paying $$$ every month for not so hot service.

42! Dark Brown super thick hair, combo skin and I am addicted to lipsticks!

Page 1 of 1
mima1354027509.76314504 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Straight Talk is awesome. Unlimited everything for $45 a month.

If you want to continue to use verizon towers, do research on which phone to buy. Some phones run on the Verizon towers and some run on ATT. So whatever phone you buy, do a search and see what towers that particular phone runs on.

In our area, ATT works better. I had to switch phones because the one I had bought ran on Verizon and it was horrible just because Verizon is no good here.

So sometimes the bad reviews on service is because they don't have the best phone for their particular area.

Their CS people are from some other country and their accents are heavy. I have hung up and called back if I get someone I can't understand. I haven't had to call them but a couple times in a couple years and it was my fault I had a problem, not theirs.

I'd never go back to a contract ever again.

Mima

mcall10201354027549.031348 PostsRegistered 3/25/2007NJ

I have been looking at this the last few days. The price is great. I am also with verizon and switching to this would gut our bills more than half. My problem is I love my iphone. They say you can use it now, but you have to unlock it??? to use this plan. Im nervous to do this, dont want to ruin my phone. Has anyone tried this? Actually, we figured out, it would be cheaper in the long run to even break our verizon contract and do this. Would love opinions and if anyone uses their iphone with this plan and does the phone work the same??

abigail74561354029364.661840 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006Back home again in Indiana~

What does "unlock" mean with cell phones?

Where can you get a smartphone for this Straight Talk that is priced low? Most places get you a great phone for almost nothing, and then kill you on the bills.

abigail74561354029368.361840 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006Back home again in Indiana~

What does "unlock" mean with cell phones?

Where can you get a smartphone for this Straight Talk that is priced low? Most places get you a great phone for almost nothing, and then kill you on the bills.

mima1354030806.7114504 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I would only buy a phone from Straight talk if that is the service you are going with if you can't make your current phone work.

I don't think you can unlock just any phone to work with a different company but I'm not sure.

You will pay a higher price for Straight Talk phones because those other companys have a high $$$ monthly fee to help pay for your "free/cheap" phone that they give you for signing a contract. They also know you will stick with them for sure for however long the contract is for.

Straight talk has to charge you regular price for the phone because if they give you a near free phone, you may only stay with them for one month and they would lose money.

Sometimes Straight talk will offer their cheap phones for free if you buy a months card just so you can try out their service. Then if you like it, you can buy a more expensive phone. DH is still using his free cheapo from 2 years ago. He also doesn't text or anything.

I really love my phone, but I will never buy a touch screen/text phone again. You have to be too accurate and it is frustrating. My next phone will have buttons.

AGAIN: If you want to stick with Verizon, be sure the phone you buy works on Verizon and not ATT or Sprint. I think they have Sprint phones too, but not sure on that either.

Mima

lara-baker1354031816.497228 PostsRegistered 9/5/2011

I use Straight Talk and I love it, too. When my contract with Verizon was up I switched to Straight Talk and I've never had a problem with coverage. I have noticed that they have lowered their prices on a few phones at WalMart over the past month. I set up my service so it would automatically draft from my checking account each month - $45 unlimited everything just can't be beat!

I do remember when I went online to set up the draft I saw something about buying SIM cards. If you want to use the phone you have that might be a possibility. Check your WalMart to see if they have special prices on the phones since it's holiday shopping time.

If I get more info I'll post it here.

mcall10201354033032.021348 PostsRegistered 3/25/2007NJ

Thanks for the info ladies. On their website it says you can use an unlocked phone iphone in particular. An unlocked one is one that can be used on a network other than where you bought it. I have a verizon iphone and need to unlock it so it can be used on straight talk. They sell you the instructions how to unlock your phone. I think it is $20.00. You can also see it demonstrated on u tube. I just dont know if thats a good way to do it. I called apple and they also sell unlocked iphones. Very pricy. they will sell you the 4S for $549.00 the 5 is not available yet. Even AT&T is saying bring your phone and sign up for their plan, they will unlock it for you. Unfortunately, their prices are the same. Don't know what to do. Im so afraid I'll ruin my phone if I try and do this myself!!!

lara-baker1354201488.78228 PostsRegistered 9/5/2011

I checked and I am typing the link to the Straight Talk page with the SIM card info. Hope this helps some!

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims

I was in a store yesterday that sells all of the pay as you go plans and phones. They had SIM cards for NET-10 for $10 - but, I asked the salesperson how to find out if your phone would work (assuming you can do the same with Straight Talk). She said to take the battery out of your phone to see if there is a SIM card located underneath the battery. If there is, you just insert their SIM card. It sounded simple but I don't think the phone companies would make anything that simple!

I am going to take my phone to WalMart tomorrow and see if I can find someone there who actually knows something about phones - that is a big IF - so many times they have employess from other departments working with phones, too. If I can't get the info there I'll check with the tech guy at Staples who did some backup work for me several months ago. He is off work until Saturday. I'll come back and post what info I find :)

Last edited on 11/29/2012

Amaly1354206914.0173571 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008cali

I've had Straight Talk for over two years with no problems whatsoever. I have it deducted from my checking account the 5th of every month so I don't have to worry about it.

Wadzlla1354209068.011962 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009
On 11/27/2012 mcall1020 said:

Thanks for the info ladies. On their website it says you can use an unlocked phone iphone in particular. An unlocked one is one that can be used on a network other than where you bought it. I have a verizon iphone and need to unlock it so it can be used on straight talk. They sell you the instructions how to unlock your phone. I think it is $20.00. You can also see it demonstrated on u tube. I just dont know if thats a good way to do it. I called apple and they also sell unlocked iphones. Very pricy. they will sell you the 4S for $549.00 the 5 is not available yet. Even AT&T is saying bring your phone and sign up for their plan, they will unlock it for you. Unfortunately, their prices are the same. Don't know what to do. Im so afraid I'll ruin my phone if I try and do this myself!!!

Verizon smartphones do not switch over to Straight Talk. Switching to a Straight Talk sim card does not work on Verizon phones. You have to purchase a new phone. Verizon uses specific codes so you cannot use them on a different phone service.

AT&T, Sprint and TMobile smartphones can be switched to Straight Talk.

fllady1354209490.59259 PostsRegistered 12/28/2008fl

Have been with Straight Talk several years,we have 2 phones $45 amonth 1 phone just$30 plan,great service,now you can by Galaxy 4 g for 350.00 and use $45 plan.Love them.

Page 1 of 1