Just-Reduced Clearance
9 Members and 6314 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone

Started 1353362544.637 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1353599044.01 by January121

For $15/mo. It came out mid September. You hook your regular phones to the wireless devise and you have

UNLIMITED* NATIONWIDE CALLING Local and Long Distance Calling includes voicemail, caller ID, 3-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding,
E911 and 411 at no extra cost

<h3>$30</h3>

UNLIMITED NATIONWIDE PLUS INTERNATIONAL CALLING Nationwide local and long distance calling plus International calling to over 1000 destinations including Mexico, Canada, India and other countries

Page 1 of 1
rogan1353371055.042168 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007

Hard to believe people still have land line phones. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

madcity4111353374854.1534568 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

Landlines? Why? Just ask anyone who was without phone service having just cellular (wireless) during monster storms AKA Sandy or whatever may be in our future. So NOT counting on it exclusively. JMHO!!

Perkup1353376366.736329 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008
On 11/19/2012 madcity411 said:

Landlines? Why? Just ask anyone who was without phone service having just cellular (wireless) during monster storms AKA Sandy or whatever may be in our future. So NOT counting on it exclusively. JMHO!!

Absolutely right. Anytime there is a massive storm, those land lines are a life saver. In Katrina, all the cellular towers were blown down - no cell service. Our only outlet were the land line phones. Everyone should have one in their home - other phones are wonderful, but a land line can be a lifesaver.

Mary Bailey1353376799.617255 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004sw of Chicago

thank you for posting this! I'm looking for a land line. Comcast just went up. When DH had a stroke 6 years ago 911 and my land line saved his life.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Just Remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are. - John Green

VolvoGirl1353379246.39598 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009
On 11/19/2012 rogan said:

Hard to believe people still have land line phones. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I still have a land line. Only my husband has a cell phone. Is there a problem I'm not aware of?

chrystal1353390863.51256 PostsRegistered 3/24/2006
We still have landline. We do not get good cell phone reception where I live. My mother has cell phone only, and when we talk, it is not always clear what she is saying. Cell phones are not always the most dependable so I do not want to solely rely on cell phone.

nutmeg31353394898.24776 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I have a landline phone. Sandy knocked out the service in my area for 15 days, and the power for 8 days. Verizon cell service worked the whole time.

bigsister1353400793.265599 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

I have no plans to give up my landline phone.

pink dogwo­od1353415993.5573099 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

no plans here to give up my landline either.....

Marp21353420506.6873827 PostsRegistered 1/31/2012Western NC

I won't be giving up my landline. Too often we have extended power outages. A dear friend has U-verse for her telephone service and we have gone over the no power = no telephone service situation a number of times. She is often alone as her DH travels a lot and she does not have a cell. I recently sent her the following which was from the U-verse website and recommends having a cell or other service available:

<h2>Phone service during a power outage</h2>

The Wireless Gateway (WG) is located inside your house and uses electrical power to deliver all your U-verse services. The battery backup for the RG must be installed inside your house near the RG, and be easily accessible. The RG battery backup supplies power for your AT&T U-verse Voice service, it does not supply power for cordless phones (and it does not supply power for your network interface device or ONT, typically located on the outside of your home, which may also require battery-backup power for your AT&T U-verse Voice service to function).

If you have AT&T U-verse services (voice, high speed Internet, and/or TV), you must also have battery backup power for the Wireless Gateway for your AT&T U-verse services to function during a power outage. AT&T will not provide support for, or be responsible for, ongoing maintenance or management of equipment, including the initial RG battery backup unit or the initial ONT backup battery provided to AT&T U-verse Voice customers. If you have Internet Service, you must provide battery backup power for your computer, if you would like to have access to the Internet during a power outage. For example, your computer could be plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS), available at certain home and electronics stores.

During a power outage, to conserve battery power for necessary AT&T U-verse Voice calls, DO NOT use any U-verse service other than AT&T U-verse Voice during the power outage. You should avoid making unnecessary calls and not use AT&T Internet service. AT&T recommends that you use a corded phone with AT&T U-verse Voice during a power outage. (Cordless phones require electrical power to work and may not be equipped with backup batteries). AT&T also recommends that you always have an alternative means of accessing 911 during a power outage, such as a cellular phone.

AT&T provides an initial RG battery backup unit, with an initial backup battery, for purchasers of AT&T U-verse Voice service. When equipped with a new, fully charged backup battery, it will provide approximately four hours of battery backup power. It takes approximately 18 hours to charge an initial backup battery after U-verse Voice is installed and/or after a replacement battery is installed at normal indoor temperatures. For battery-replacement and recycling information, please call Belkin at 866-539-5791, or <a title="Link opens in a new window" href="http://www.belkin.com/gatewaybattery" target="_blank">visit the Belkin website</a>.

If you don't take the bait you won't get caught.

Perkup1353508065.5436329 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

Keep in mind you don't have to have the land line pluggedin all the time if you want to use other types of phones in your outlets. Just plug it in if the power goes off and you're good to go.

MaryKateDa­naher1353551340.9471611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick
With the exception of one friend, everyone that I know has a landline! Our area had major problems with our carrier this summer but I never missed an important call thanks to my " housephone" .:-)

Arguing with a fool only proves there are two! But often you get answers!
~Eamus Catuli~

SydneyH1353597508.66741114 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

I'm not giving up my landline either, I send faxes and have two children in school. My cell sometimes doesn't work in my house.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

January1211353599044.01582 PostsRegistered 12/13/2006NY
On 11/20/2012 nutmeg3 said:

I have a landline phone. Sandy knocked out the service in my area for 15 days, and the power for 8 days. Verizon cell service worked the whole time.

Verizon land line is the BEST ... my Mom has a Verizon land line and I have Time Warner Cable ... Verizon was great during Hurricane Sandy and was available throughout the entire storm whereas Time Warner Cable was not working at all ... I am switching to Verizon because they are there when you need them the most!!

Last edited on 12/15/2012

Page 1 of 1