TSV(R) Preview
152 Members and 16282 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Tablet for a 3 year old

Started 1352669873.15 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1353613201.777 by RedTop
I want to get my grandson a tablet for Christmas. I know there are a lot of kids tablets on the market, even TRU is putting one out (or already has). The thing is, I really want to get him a REAL tablet thinking that it would be the better investment. He's been playing with my IPad since he's less than a year old and knows how to use it. Of course, an IPad is out, even the mini is out due to cost but I was kinda thinking the Kindle Fire Hd or Nook Hd. They are reasonably priced and I think may offer more than tablets made just for kids. I was just at Barnes and Noble and the Nook hd looked really nice, small and perfect for a little person. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
colliegirls1352670645.736504 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

3 years old??? Really??

haddon91352671400.776150 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

Even if he knows how to use yours do you think he knows how to take good care of it? Seems like it would primarily be mom's responsibility to keep a watch on it whenever it was being used. I'm not familiar with the child versions but I'm sure they are built to withstand a bit of rough usage like sticky fingers or being dropped. He might find them to be more fun too since they are made to appeal to a child.

disneynut571352671740.927289 PostsRegistered 7/25/2008

It certainly is not my business but 3 years old is way too little to have a tablet. Maybe a Leapfrog or something like that which would teach him colors, the alphabet, shapes, and learning to read.

glb6131352671783.85311060 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

LeapPad2

Last edited on 11/11/2012

2bee1352671988.68542 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007Mid Atlantic
My granddaughter has had her own iPod touch since she was two. She is almost four now and it is still going strong. We made sure it was in a protective case and have had no problems.

Debbie5551352673544.46131 PostsRegistered 6/14/2012
I know he seems young for this, the thing is he plays with my IPad every day (with supervision..I watch him during the day). I have a ton of apps for him and he loves it. . I just thought a less expensive real tablet would grow with him vs. him outgrowing it. Maybe I'm wrong..lol....and I should look at the Leap pad. Last edited on 11/11/2012 Last edited on 11/11/2012

GoodStuff1352673675.8615152 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

A three year old child needs a tablet like he needs a hole in his head! IMO kids at this age need toys that bring them in touch with real, live people and objects. Things they can touch, feel, manipulate, and use creatively (blocks, clay, crayons, trucks, riding toys, etc.) and personal face-to-face interaction with family members. They don't need sedentary "virtual" interaction that draws their attention away from live people and concrete things and focuses it on an electronic device. I see electronic devices as useful tools in the right time and place -- but they are also quite addictive and rapidly take time away from more important interests and pursuits. I like to see parents talking with, playing with, and teaching their kids rather than turning them over to video players, tablets, readers, and the like at an early age.

Cha1k1352673736.8031120 PostsRegistered 2/28/2009

The iPad mini might be a good choice for your 3 year-old grandson depending on your financial circumstances. All the apps that you have installed on your iPad for your grandson could be installed on the mini. Keep in mind that if you buy a Kindle or Nook tablet, you will have to purchase any apps that aren't free.

I realize that many folks on this board think that buying a tablet for a young child is outrageous, but as an educator, I believe that it is a smart move. When you see preschool children using a tablet, an iPad in particular, it is awe inspiring. To provide a device that facilitates learning is, in my opinion, a win-win.

Debbie5551352674438.137131 PostsRegistered 6/14/2012
On 11/11/2012 GoodStuff said:

A three year old child needs a tablet like he needs a hole in his head! IMO kids at this age need toys that bring them in touch with real, live people and objects. Things they can touch, feel, manipulate, and use creatively (blocks, clay, crayons, trucks, riding toys, etc.) and personal face-to-face interaction with family members. They don't need sedentary "virtual" interaction that draws their attention away from live people and concrete things and focuses it on an electronic device. I see electronic devices as useful tools in the right time and place -- but they are also quite addictive and rapidly take time away from more important interests and pursuits. I like to see parents talking with, playing with, and teaching their kids rather than turning them over to video players, tablets, readers, and the like at an early age.

I'm not the parent, but I can tell you that I play on the IPad with him, it is not used as a babysitter...as well as playing with Legos and coloring (with real crayons in a real coloring book) play doh and puzzles. I also take him outside to play, he is not sitting in front of an IPad 8 hours a day!

disneynut571352674754.197289 PostsRegistered 7/25/2008
On 11/11/2012 Debbie555 said:

I'm not the parent, but I can tell you that I play on the IPad with him, it is not used as a babysitter...as well as playing with Legos and coloring (with real crayons in a real coloring book) play doh and puzzles. I also take him outside to play, he is not sitting in front of an IPad 8 hours a day!

I agree, blocks, puzzles, crayons, coloring books, legos, megablox - all can stimulate his imagination.

milly1352675476.052386 PostsRegistered 5/25/2006

I'm a Grandmother of a 3 year old who we care for during the day. IMHO children are exposed to electronics too early. Especially with so many children being overweight. Why start him on a pattern of sitting in front of something rather than actually touch and feel and explore. We do the old fashioned things, collect leaves, plant and care for a garden and do art projects. Old fashioned play, kicking a ball, simple things. They will have plenty of time in their life to be attached to electronic devices. Let them be children. But in the end you will decide what is best for your Grandchild.

GoodStuff1352675758.2415152 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
On 11/11/2012 Debbie555 said:

What I'm noticing with kids I see out and around is that many of them seem glued to electronic devices if they have them. The colors, sounds, games, and graphics on computers, tablets, phones, etc. are very engaging and seductive. That might be OK if you and the child's parents really limit electronic time to just a small segment of each day. Problem is, so many kids seem drawn in by the devices and quickly learn to prefer them to other pursuits. And it is easy for parents to use them as babysitters. Of course, it's a judgment call, but I'd want to be sure the majority of a young child's time and attention are spent with real people and things. Seems to me they need to know and appreciate reality before they can healthily appreciate a virtual approximation of it.

Pinkroses1352675773.8931304 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN

My brother's grandson is 2 and has an Ipad. He knows all his abc's.

From iPad Air

champagnep­oodle1352675877.6775798 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

ITA

Debbie5551352675979.733131 PostsRegistered 6/14/2012
On 11/11/2012 milly said:

I'm a Grandmother of a 3 year old who we care for during the day. IMHO children are exposed to electronics too early. Especially with so many children being overweight. Why start him on a pattern of sitting in front of something rather than actually touch and feel and explore. We do the old fashioned things, collect leaves, plant and care for a garden and do art projects. Old fashioned play, kicking a ball, simple things. They will have plenty of time in their life to be attached to electronic devices. Let them be children. But in the end you will decide what is best for your Grandchild.

I do all those same things....we play in the yard daily when weather permits and also all of the above things I mentioned! 8+ hours a day is a long day and I care for him alone. I think playing with the IPad is better than mindless tv watching. I never put the tv on...but to each his own I guess. Cha1k- Thanks for that! I'm not an educator, just a parent and grandparent and I find the IPad a great learning tool for kids. So many educational apps out there.

Debbie5551352676557.637131 PostsRegistered 6/14/2012
Back to my original question..I just thought for a little more than the price of a leap pad or kids tablet I could get the nook or kindle fire.... The iPad mini is a little outta my price range, I'm getting one of those myself!

2bee1352676633.887542 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007Mid Atlantic
Debbie555 - I watch my grandchildren too, ages one and almost four, and I agree the iPad is a great learning tool. We also play outside, color, build with blocks and do lots of "using your imagination" type things. My granddaughter loves her time on my iPad and there are times when she shows me how to do things which in itself amazes me. This was one of the reasons we got her an iPod touch which is really a mini, iPad mini. She has apps to help with ABC's, colors, reading and some for just plain fun and she thinks it is just like her Daddy's iPhone which she had also played with. Which ever device you choose for your grandson he will love it!

LisaB1352676728.7972869 PostsRegistered 1/8/2007

Skip the tablet and get the child some toys.

stevieb1352676760.7129810 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
On 11/11/2012 colliegirls said:

3 years old??? Really??

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Desertdi1352676839.70715942 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun
On 11/11/2012 stevieb said:

3 years old??? Really??

Yeah......I was born during WW2...........we had just about NOTHING.

Angry Bird1352677463.7374918 PostsRegistered 10/17/2007TX
On 11/11/2012 Debbie555 said: I know he seems young for this, the thing is he plays with my IPad every day (with supervision..I watch him during the day). I have a ton of apps for him and he loves it. . I just thought a less expensive real tablet would grow with him vs. him outgrowing it. Maybe I'm wrong..lol....and I should look at the Leap pad. Last edited on 11/11/2012 Last edited on 11/11/2012

Let him play with your IPAD while he is with you and get the child some age appropriate toys.
I wouldn't buy a 3 yr. old one of the tablets you mentioned in your first post.

KEEP LOOKIN' UP 'cuz that's where it all is!
~Kidd Kraddick~ 8/22/1959-7/29/2013

mysterylady1352678885.66723 PostsRegistered 8/23/2009
On 11/11/2012 Desertdi said:
On 11/11/2012 stevieb said:

3 years old??? Really??

Yeah......I was born during WW2...........we had just about NOTHING.

I agree with all of the above (and I'm also a retired educator). I'm a WWII baby, too. We got maybe 1 toy, 1 item of clothing such as a sweater or PJs, an orange and candy cane. Yes, the world may be a different place but it's still important for kids to develop their imaginations and creativity.

Don't forget when you begin giving gifts that are above their age level you hopefully you have many more years of gift-giving and, speaking from experience, there's nothing left to buy that they don't have.

DIL has said no more toys and they don't need clothing either. Your grandson is still young enough not to fully understand the options but my 7 yr. old DGS keeps asking for more and more - he knows what's out there. I have said to my DS (tongue-in-cheek) what do you buy when they're 10, an new corvette?

I think I'd reconsider.

BTW - my 2 yr.old DGD knows all her colors, abc's, and can count to 25 and has NO electronics. She learned the same way we all did.

Debbie5551352679409.697131 PostsRegistered 6/14/2012
Wow I'm almost sorry I asked this question! My grandson has MANY age appropriate toys, too many in fact that when I asked my daughter what to get him for Christmas, SHE suggested the tablet! I think some of you somehow got the wrong impression, as though he is plopped down with an iPad for the entire day! Also, I was wondering if those of you who think it's such a terrible thing to give a 3 year old have a tablet or have ever seen any of the children's apps, possibly not. They are very educational, in the same way the leap pad is. So thank you for all responses.

mdmc1352679758.0131651 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast
Good grief. Why does every one have a problem answering the OP's question. Why all the advice about the fact that the child does not need a tablet. I can never understand why people feel the need to scold some one for what they want to do, instead of answering the question. OP....I really don't have an opinion about other tablets. I have an IPad. When my grandson visits we watch videos on it. He is 15 months now. When he gets a little older I will buy him a tablet. I am looking at the LEAPFROG 2 right now. It does go from ages 3 to 9. I am thinking that because I think it might be made a little sturdier than a regular tablet and you can get a protective case.

circles1352679793.23317555 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.
On 11/11/2012 Debbie555 said: Back to my original question..I just thought for a little more than the price of a leap pad or kids tablet I could get the nook or kindle fire.... The iPad mini is a little outta my price range, I'm getting one of those myself!

Debbie....my granddaughter is 6....she has been playing with my Nook Tablet for a year, now...for Christmas I plan on buying her a Tablet, too....I was thinking Kindle Fire for $159.00....though I have toyed with the Kindle HD or the Nook HD....

Like you...I don't see any sense wasting money on a kitty tablet that will have to be replaced a few years up the road...and the Kitty Ones are pricey, too..most the price of the Kindle or Nook....

Good Luck with your decision...I haven't made up my mind between the two...I was hoping some place will have a sale on one or the other....but then maybe they are not subject to sales....

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next