TSV(R) Preview
13 Members and 12548 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Which Tablet to Get

Started 1343256212.24 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1344212556.783 by Sunsetgold

So I really want an Apple Ipad2 but don't know if I want to spend that much money on it. I'm afraid if I go with a Nook or Amazon Kindle Fire I won't be happy and end up getting the IPad2 anyway. Should I wait until I can afford the IPad2 or go with something less expensive?

Page 1 of 2
butcherbab­e21343256773.978 PostsRegistered 6/11/2012

If you want an ipad, don't try to tell yourself that you'll be happy with something like a kindle fire. How do i know? I did that! A kindle fire is a great reader, but an ipad 2 is a whole different animal. They are simply not comparable. We have one of each in our house, I bought the fire in Oct, and then the ipad in Dec. Spend the money, and get what you really want. I spent the extra 200 dollars on the fire, and should have just bought the ipad!

ALTECHNET1343259396.517725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

No one wants to spend that kind of money but most do. Tell me what are you expecting from a tablet? Are you going to use it to watch movies, get on the internet, order stuff from QVC, HSN and ShopNBC. Play games, Read News Papers around the World. Check the weather, watch youtube, maybe netflix or HBOGO. Scan images via your new WiFi Brother Color Inkjet with eprint. Listen too all Radio stations around the USA using Tune in Radio. iPad, iPad2 and iPad3 you pay for what you get if you want one best to get 64GB one.

The other choices are Android but Amazon Kindle I would pass and which I did. Google Nexus 7 has panel and WiFi issues so again another pass. I own two Toshiba Thrive 10.1" they the best but then again have about 7 tablet here mostly 7.0 inch. I use those more than I use the 10.1". They're coming out with 4" to 5" tablets again and so seems Apple with 7.0 inch one.

I am Android well I mean that's what I do and run Android forums so I recommend Android but you know what you want already. Then coming soon is Microsoft Windows 8 Metro Tablet called Surface. Looks neat and it's going to be a bit heavy to carry. I have Windows Tablet now myself it's heavy but fun to use. If your Windows guy or gal you might want to go the Windows Tablet Way. But stay tune for that.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

RedConvert­ibleGirl1343259490.814326 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Love my Toshiba Thrive!!!

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

bunky1343259765.01336 PostsRegistered 6/11/2005North East Florida

Get an Ipad...........you will not be sorry. I didn't want an Iphone but got one for work last July and two hours after I had it .....I understood that I had a new personal assistant.

My husband had an Ipad for about two years and I never wanted one.

He bought me one when I was on vacation about a month ago....... so I could enjoy it while I was off.........I love it.

I didn't spend the $800..........only went for the $600 model as more and more places offer free WIFI.............I am so happy with it.

Go for it if you can.....I really don't think that you will regret it.

Alpha1343261096.741936 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
IPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quincybird1343264385.183367 PostsRegistered 7/4/2007
Another vote for IPad, worth every penny!

debcakes1343274437.31887 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

I have read very favourable reviews for the new Google pad. I am thinking about getting that one.

4uthebest1343294689.453527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 7/25/2012 ALTECHNET said:

No one wants to spend that kind of money but most do. Tell me what are you expecting from a tablet? Are you going to use it to watch movies, get on the internet, order stuff from QVC, HSN and ShopNBC. Play games, Read News Papers around the World. Check the weather, watch youtube, maybe netflix or HBOGO. Scan images via your new WiFi Brother Color Inkjet with eprint. Listen too all Radio stations around the USA using Tune in Radio. iPad, iPad2 and iPad3 you pay for what you get if you want one best to get 64GB one.

The other choices are Android but Amazon Kindle I would pass and which I did. Google Nexus 7 has panel and WiFi issues so again another pass. I own two Toshiba Thrive 10.1" they the best but then again have about 7 tablet here mostly 7.0 inch. I use those more than I use the 10.1". They're coming out with 4" to 5" tablets again and so seems Apple with 7.0 inch one.

I am Android well I mean that's what I do and run Android forums so I recommend Android but you know what you want already. Then coming soon is Microsoft Windows 8 Metro Tablet called Surface. Looks neat and it's going to be a bit heavy to carry. I have Windows Tablet now myself it's heavy but fun to use. If your Windows guy or gal you might want to go the Windows Tablet Way. But stay tune for that.

I do not know what you mean by WiFi problems as my Nexus routinely will be downloading at 25 Mbps and I have seen more than 40 and in fact its upload is faster than my desktop.

4uthebest1343294770.593527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 7/25/2012 debcakes said:

I have read very favourable reviews for the new Google pad. I am thinking about getting that one.

I have had it since its release and it is superb, especially for its price.

gradstuden­tMom1343295517.587962 PostsRegistered 12/2/2011

Which tablet is in the commercial with the parents verbally spelling out whether its OK for children to use it?

Last edited on 7/26/2012

Last edited on 7/26/2012

jackthebear1343295563.2335871 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 7/25/2012 jordan2 said:

So I really want an Apple Ipad2 but don't know if I want to spend that much money on it. I'm afraid if I go with a Nook or Amazon Kindle Fire I won't be happy and end up getting the IPad2 anyway. Should I wait until I can afford the IPad2 or go with something less expensive?

I would go for the iPad, have you looked at Apple's refurbished pads on the website you could save some money there. There is really no comparison between the Android tablets and the Apple tablet
So much more seamless and simple to use.

gardenman1343310097.5517091 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

A very recent report from a Staple's US retail President indicates that Amazon is coming out with five or six new Kindle tablets in the near future. (Staples is one of the retailers for the Kindles and they apparently received the new SKU's/barcode details for the new tablets.) Here's a link to the article with some of the rumored details.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259682/amazon_readying_mulitple_new_kindle_tablets_according_to_staples.html

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

The Bird1343318993.2471810 PostsRegistered 3/17/2007

I love my 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab. Just love it. Although I have a nook and the very first Kindle, I prefer to read those books on my tablet with their respective free apps. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just go with the SGT. But then, I've never had the ipad. Someday I'll get one b/c I must familiarize myself with the technology, but I'm just saying that the Samsung is one to at least consider. I have the 16gb version, the lowest-end one. I do wish it took a memory card but it doesn't. - Bird

sassy lady1343321549.477181 PostsRegistered 4/11/2007CA

I just got the ASUS transformerTF300 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. It hooked up to my Internet easily and has 32GB plus can take up to a 32GB SD card. It has amazing specs for the cost. They do have a new Transformer Infinity that sounds amazing, I would have gotten it but I'd have to wait since everyone seems to be out of stock. Patience is not one of my virtues! I have installed several aps from the GooglePlay because they tell me if they're compatible with my ASUS or not. Tablets are fun to play with and I just leave mine in sleep mode so it starts up fast. Get what you want and just enjoy playing with it.

sassylady

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

jordan21343342651.2231989 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. I'm going to save up for the IPad2 because that's the one I really want. I thought I heard they're coming out with a smaller 7 inch one sometime this year. If that's true maybe I would get that.

AlleyCat1343777080.2131453 PostsRegistered 2/7/2007Tornado Alley
That's up to you and what you feel comfortable spending. I have an iPad 2 and absolutely love it. I have heard good things about the Kindle Fire but I don't know if it can do the things the iPad can

AlleyCat1343777143.0131453 PostsRegistered 2/7/2007Tornado Alley
On 7/25/2012 butcherbabe2 said:

If you want an ipad, don't try to tell yourself that you'll be happy with something like a kindle fire. How do i know? I did that! A kindle fire is a great reader, but an ipad 2 is a whole different animal. They are simply not comparable. We have one of each in our house, I bought the fire in Oct, and then the ipad in Dec. Spend the money, and get what you really want. I spent the extra 200 dollars on the fire, and should have just bought the ipad!

ITA!

squeezebox1343777434.275562 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!

I love my Nook tablet. I just couldn't justify spending the money on an iPad. I use mine alot for reading books, surfing the net. I love that I can take it with every weekend and I can get on line. Well, if the flippin WiFi would stay connected! Love my Nook!

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

ummstrawbe­rry1343952712.945 PostsRegistered 8/2/2012

i bought the ipad2 and wasnt happy with it. its not user friendly and comes with no instructions. i took it back and i got me a toshiba thrive and it was so easy to use. it alos have a usb port. with the ipad you have to pay for everything. and cant physically download stuff on it cause it doesnt have a usb port. everything you have to purchase for the ipad is soooo expensive. you just paying for the name apple.

Brabls1344090796.92714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I have a Kindle Fire & wanted a larger tablet too! The advantage of the smaller tablet is that it fits in my purse: I make my shrping lists on it & just tuck it in my purse. Great for travel too. Plus I don't want to advetise I have a tablet with me when I am out & about.

I want a larger tablet for home use-will be a comter substitue for me & easier to watch movies.

Now in Amazon comes out with a large tablet & I can sync data............... perfect.

thalmy1344113817.9572276 PostsRegistered 8/31/2009

My Kindle Fire is my favorite.

Thom
Forever in our hearts.

MSA20041344201301.324675 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

I have decided on a Kindle Fire for now, but I want to wait for the larger screen (rumor has it a 9" size screen will be available soon) later this year.

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

Sooner1344203145.58715170 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We bought an IPad 2 and an IPad 3 with 4g at the same time. We really don't see any difference in the two for anything we do. We are as happy with the 2 as the 3--except in some instances we need the 4G. If you want an IPad buy the cheapest 2 you can find. Get insurance on it is you can afford that. You don't need a bunch of stuff to go with it. Find a cheap cover for it and go have lunch! LOL!!!!

I paid $399 for the 2 last spring at an authorized Apple store and we love it as much as the 3.

ALTECHNET1344208873.3725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

iPad (all of them) you should get some sort of extra protection beyond what you get with Apple. With Apple devices like this one the data/memory can get corrupted or bad. Not all of them but there have been reports. Once this happen this device will the function correctly.

le Pan being peddled on HSN is very good tablet, but if you really want to get one from Android then get the Nexus 7. If you want something larger get Thrive or Excite from Toshiba. If wait and want to use Windows 8 tablet then there is Surface is out in Oct 2012. I'll be buying one of those myself.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

dooBdoo134420998817186 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

Compare, compare, compare:

If you go to PCWorld.com and type "tablets" or "compare tablets," you'll see many good articles. Here's just one:

Top 10 Tablets

Apple's latest iPad shoots to the top thanks to its high-resolution and 200,000-plus apps. Its predecessor, the iPad 2, drops in price and moves down a notch to second. A pair of Android tablets are right behind it: Asus' Eee Pad Transformer Prime, the first tablet with Nvidia's Tegra 3 chip, and Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1.

★~
And the day came
when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.
~Anais Nin

Page 1 of 2