Fall Fashion Clearance
133 Members and 17203 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Nextbook 8 is it worth it?

Started 1332694833.357 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1333067353.357 by 2000survivor

Hello, being a no-no tech person. How would this rate with the tech savy people here? It is the TS on HSN today?

Thank you,

Love, Memaw

Page 1 of 1
rogan1332696346.2772168 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007

You can see Nextbook reviews @ HSN (look at prior Nextbook generations) and on Amazon.

memawkk1332699413.953112 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006

Thank you Rogan!

2000surviv­or1332701929.521764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
I tried reading some reviews and do not find them very helpful for me, because I've never had a ereader, tablet, netbook etc. With no experiences to compare what's reviewed to anything it's really difficult. So, I caved and ordered. I am hopeful it has a keyboard like my iPhone has. I did not see a demo covering the keyboard but I assume it has one. If someone would will share any information, opinions etc it would be appreciated. TIA. Lynn

2000surviv­or1332702145.2671764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
One thing I'd like to know is: I see it has a USB port, does this mean I can access my thumb drives, read items on it edit etc. Can a printer be used with it?

OnlineShop­per1332707752.343261 PostsRegistered 7/5/2007

It has a keyboard, it looked like a touch screen one. The USB port will allow you to run movies, look at pics , etc. or use as storage like you would a harddrive. I ordered one also this morning. I did a lot of research first. Couldnt find much about nextbook anywhere. My son bought a kindle fire and loves it but it had some tihngs I didnt like. The nextbook has a better browser and is faster then the kindle. Price is similar to the kindle fire. A primary reason I wanted a tablet is to use as an ereader. I have a netbook Ive been using but its so slow and cumbersome to use that way. The kindle has no provision for night reading but the nextbook allows you to change to black background and white font to read at night. The nextbook has a shiny screen so Im a little bothered it might be hard on the eyes but decided to give it a try since it can be returned within 30 days. If I don't like the tablet, I will return it and wait until someone comes up with an ereader that has night reading provision. The only question about the nextbook I havent gotten an answer to is if you can download free library books like the kindle does. There is a reader and nook apps for the nextbook. The nook now allows public library access and I read that the android system allows it so Im hoping. The kindle fire has some things I liked. You can borrow books from other kindle owners as well as public library and you can use amazon cloud to store your books and keep your tablet running faster. QVC will have a tsv tuesday of a Coby tablet that is larger, the price right now is over 300.00 so I dont know what the tsv price will be. Iwill watch it also and see if I like it better. It does have better mem. stats. Im pretty sure I heard in the presenttion the nextbook works with a printer. I guess if nothing else you could send the file by email to your pc and printout that way.

Last edited on 3/25/2012

Last edited on 3/25/2012

vonIam1332709775.067480 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009
On 3/25/2012 OnlineShopper said:

It has a keyboard, it looked like a touch screen one. The USB port will allow you to run movies, look at pics , etc. or use as storage like you would a harddrive. I ordered one also this morning. I did a lot of research first. Couldnt find much about nextbook anywhere. My son bought a kindle fire and loves it but it had some tihngs I didnt like. The nextbook has a better browser and is faster then the kindle. Price is similar to the kindle fire. A primary reason I wanted a tablet is to use as an ereader. I have a netbook Ive been using but its so slow and cumbersome to use that way. The kindle has no provision for night reading but the nextbook allows you to change to black background and white font to read at night. The nextbook has a shiny screen so Im a little bothered it might be hard on the eyes but decided to give it a try since it can be returned within 30 days. If I don't like the tablet, I will return it and wait until someone comes up with an ereader that has night reading provision. The only question about the nextbook I havent gotten an answer to is if you can download free library books like the kindle does. There is a reader and nook apps for the nextbook. The nook now allows public library access and I read that the android system allows it so Im hoping. The kindle fire has some things I liked. You can borrow books from other kindle owners as well as public library and you can use amazon cloud to store your books and keep your tablet running faster. QVC will have a tsv tuesday of a Coby tablet that is larger, the price right now is over 300.00 so I dont know what the tsv price will be. Iwill watch it also and see if I like it better. It does have better mem. stats. Im pretty sure I heard in the presenttion the nextbook works with a printer. I guess if nothing else you could send the file by email to your pc and printout that way.

Last edited on 3/25/2012

QVC's TSV will be $279.96 with 4 easy pay.

I've had 2 of the Nextbooks. Both were a piece of junk. However I"ve been tempted to give them another try. I had the Nextbook 7 and the Nextbook premium 8 (?). They've released about 3-4 different ones since then. One's gotta think they are getting better. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

2000surviv­or1332710149.6631764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
OnlineShopper: thank you for answering questions and the info on ereaders. I don't have an ereader nor a laptop. I use my iPhone almost like I imagine I would use a laptop. Reading QVC board while watching TV, email, Internet searches etc. This looks like it would meet those needs with a bigger screen and allow me to accomplish some work tasks too. I thought with 5 easy pays, and the 30 day return it would be a good way to test drive. Also thank you for the heads up on the Coby. I will look at it too. Thank you again, Lynn

2000surviv­or1332711827.561764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
Uh oh, I just thought about Internet connection. Because of where I live (rural area) my best option was the AT&T air card. It plugs into a USB port on my PC. Moving it from the pc to the nextbook will certainly be easy to do, if the nextbook is compatible with it. Anyone else use the air card, have any thought?

2000surviv­or1332712474.981764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
Found this info: The air cards must have a Windows or Mac program loaded into the host computer to work. They do make Android tablets with built in 3g cards that word the same way but as far as an external card, not yet. If you have a smart phone you can get the app to allow you tether your tablet and go on line through your phone wireless. Anyone have experience?

Boomerjo1332712768.6331445 PostsRegistered 11/29/2004Indiana

Well I finally decided to give it a try and like everyong said if it's not up to standars it can always be returned. I have a Kindle so I probably won't be using it as a E-reader. I just wanted it to check E-mails when I'm not in the house and surf the web. I like that you can add more memory and it has all those free apps. I have read that Anroid is pretty good and it has the latest Anroid 4,0.

Let's hope they have gotten all the bugs out since a person had 2 and wasn't happy with them. I decided that I didn't want to spend $ 500 for a tablet so we'll see I guess.

2000surviv­or1332713508.7571764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
I'll call my cell phone provider in the morning and find out about tethering the nextbook. The how to, and if they help with it, costs etc. I use AT&T for my iPhone. Started with them years ago when they were Cingular. If tethering is complicated I am hopeful the corporate store near me will help me with it. If this all works well maybe I can let the air card go, it costs $60 month.

annabellet­hecat1332715178.9513585 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I loved reading all posts. I cannot get around the HSN community page. I used to buy a lot of electronics from HSN, now way less. You would not believe how I must have had ummm I think it was 4 printers in my office and one in the box in garage I was sending back. It was in the back of my Acura MDX (I kiss it because it saved my life!) when that idiot man ran into me going over 65 miles per hour. Anyway, the insurance company wanted to give me money for it (thought for sure it was broken), I said, "No because I called QVC and they said they didn't care if it was broken, they'd give me back my money". Well, I hemmed and hawed (wasted time) and didn't send it back. About 2 months ago my Pumpkin (youngest daughter 31) said she needed a wireless computer!! Well, I said, "I have one in the garage". She took it to her apartment and guess what!!?? It worked great. So I went on and paid for it. Two things about me is I never lie and I don't exaggerate! I don't want St Peter to not let me to the Golden Gate because I liked and my late husband will be on t he other side of the fence. I hold the record for run on sentences. Better go I made some cream cheese filled brownies. I make a huge pan of them and give them out to everyone. They must have 1,000 calories. Speaking...never mind. I've got to go get those brownies. Sorry!!

2000surviv­or1332718228.7771764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
Uupdate: called AT&T, to tether using iPhone must have minimum; 3S iPhone, and 5GB data plan. I have 3G and 2GB data plan. They say the air card will work with tablets that have USB port, software just has to be downloaded. If air card doesn't work then I will need to upgrade phone $200, and data plan cost increase $25 and a one time upgrade fee of $35. Of course if the tablet meets my at home Internet needs I can cancel the air card which is $60 month. I just hate to spend $200 to upgrade a phone that works perfectly for me. Decisions. I will leave my order for the Nextbook8 and try to use the air card. If I really like it then I can upgrade my phone and eliminate the air card. Anyone have any suggestions ?

ALTECHNET1332745550.96725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

That HSN Lexmark all-in-one printers don't buy them.. I know it does come with 5 year warranty protection but you must call overseas and hope you get someone who has a clue to why the printer won't print on the paper where there is enough ink in there. Because the printer heads a burnt out. I told this girl she and to go through the script to tell me the same sentence I just told her. They and sent me out XL carts for all the colors and a new printer head. I never bother to install it and just let it there when I had moved. Too much of issue to deal with a printer system that only works when it wanted to and most of the time it just didn't do anything.

This tablet just have to beware of what it can't or can not do.. I had two of the Nextbooks prior and they were good for a few days then had to be sent back to QVC.

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

Boomerjo1332781151.2431445 PostsRegistered 11/29/2004Indiana
On 3/26/2012 ALTECHNET said:

That HSN Lexmark all-in-one printers don't buy them.. I know it does come with 5 year warranty protection but you must call overseas and hope you get someone who has a clue to why the printer won't print on the paper where there is enough ink in there. Because the printer heads a burnt out. I told this girl she and to go through the script to tell me the same sentence I just told her. They and sent me out XL carts for all the colors and a new printer head. I never bother to install it and just let it there when I had moved. Too much of issue to deal with a printer system that only works when it wanted to and most of the time it just didn't do anything.

This tablet just have to beware of what it can't or can not do.. I had two of the Nextbooks prior and they were good for a few days then had to be sent back to QVC.

I have never seen Nextbooks sold on QVC so this is confusing to say the least.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

4uthebest1332869529.5933526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/26/2012 Boomerjo said:
On 3/26/2012 ALTECHNET said:

That HSN Lexmark all-in-one printers don't buy them..

I have never seen Nextbooks sold on QVC so this is confusing to say the least.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Reality check here is BADLY needed.. What in the world does the subject of this post have to do with Lexmark ? or a Printer of ANY make ?

Basically it seems that these comments are the right answers, but the OP simply asked the wrong questions. IOW what could be the cause of this twilight zone situation. ??

4uthebest1332889100.0833526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/27/2012 Yankette said:

When did you become the board police about what is and what's not allowed to be posted or interjected into a thread?

Yep you are right, after all who am I to want to be as efficient as possible and foolish enough to scan for post titles and expect the contents of the thread to be relevant.

ALTECHNET1332916317.07725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Come on late night typo city for me..{#emotions_dlg.blink} I had meant HSN.. Boy you all go crazy with HSN here too. Since HSN forums are not like QVC forums you go on and on about things. Relax we're all here to help each other not going after each other like a bunch of mad shoppers.

Nextbook on HSN or Coby (QVC).. You could buy both and try them out and see which one you don't want to keep? COBY has stunken more money this time into the ICS line-up I am waiting for mine to come and see how well it really does? As for Nextbook they had started selling e-readers first then they had stopped selling them and came back with full tablets. But in all I won't touch them ever again.

Like you flipping and flopping between Android tablets.. Down the road is Windows Metro 8 tablets and those are not cheap, but might be? Because same chips use in the cheaper Android tablets are going to show up in Windows Metro 8 lower end tablets. If that happens watch HSN, QVC and ShopNBC..

Last edited on 3/28/2012

Last edited on 3/28/2012

Last edited on 3/28/2012

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

straykatz1332969343.698516 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

I bought one of the previous Nextbook version about 1 year ago and returned it because my primary purpose was to use it as an e-reader but I hated the back-lit screen.....caused eye strain...was just like reading on a computer and I was looking more for the book feel/texture experience so returned the nextbook and eventually bought a Kindle Touch....I was almost tempted to buy this newest nextbook just for the web access and convenience of internet on the go versus carrying a laptop but decided not to buy at this time.

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

2000surviv­or1332995702.4231764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
Rec'd my Nextbook8 today. I haven't ugraded by iPhone yet so no Internet yet, plan to do that tomorrow. Apps are not downloaded, is that the normal? It did turn on, battery had about half charge out of the box. Colors are sharp, clear. The USB port is tiny, not a full size like on my pc nor like I've seen on laptops, so aircard won't work. The aircard I have requires a "normal" size USB port. When AT & T told me the aircard would work they were wrong. After I get Internet in place I intend to give it a good workout daily to see how it performs. If interest is posted here I will post a review.

Boomerjo1333027074.31445 PostsRegistered 11/29/2004Indiana
On 3/28/2012 2000survivor said: Rec'd my Nextbook8 today. I haven't ugraded by iPhone yet so no Internet yet, plan to do that tomorrow. Apps are not downloaded, is that the normal? It did turn on, battery had about half charge out of the box. Colors are sharp, clear. The USB port is tiny, not a full size like on my pc nor like I've seen on laptops, so aircard won't work. The aircard I have requires a "normal" size USB port. When AT & T told me the aircard would work they were wrong. After I get Internet in place I intend to give it a good workout daily to see how it performs. If interest is posted here I will post a review.

Well I also got my Nextbook and I was glad that not all the apps were not downloaded because I didn't want all those and would have had to delete them. I basically wanted a tablet to check E-Mails and surf the web while out and about. I have a Kindle for E-Reading so I doubt if I will be using it for that. So far for what I wanted I think it will be a keeper. I will also give it a work out before the 30 days are up. I already has Wi-fi so I didn't have a problem there and it picked up the Wi-fi just fine.

Do keep the post coming I'm wanting to see how others like theirs.. By the way I got mine on Monday now that is super fast shipping in my book. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Last edited on 3/29/2012

Last edited on 3/29/2012

2000surviv­or1333067353.3571764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
ITA about it is better for those apps to not already be downloaded much prefer to pick and choose. I did not make it to AT&T today to upgrade my phone. Wild day at work.

Page 1 of 1