Guaranteed Delivery
117 Members and 18957 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

Kindle Fire

Started 1325180168.483 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1325450320.563 by di-mc

Got one for Xmas and I'm not sure about it. I do think I would feel more comfortable using the apple Ipad2. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2
rosie031325185504.547725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

my dh has the apple2 and i have the fire, we both love our devices, the only difference i can see is the ipad has a camera, which neither of us cares about. and the size, i like the smaller one better, lighter weight and easier for me to hold. they play the same movies, we have apps we want. can read books, but i also have the kindle3, so do not read books on the fire, we can both get on the web, play games if we want to.

SilverDiva1325186170.411181 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007

I like my Fire! Haven't even started checking out all the Apps! Can't imagine how many I'll find uses for.

You should, of course, do what makes you the most comfortable. You can always play around with your Fire and then check out the iPad you have in mind.

Haven't tried a book on my Fire, but there are some loaded on as I also have an original Kindle. Right now I'm looking at different Apps. This can be fun and also keep my mind active! I've already downloaded pictures and have music in 'the Cloud' that i'm trying to get on my Fire.

What a fun time! Enjoy whichever device you choose!

If Lassie had been a Sheltie Timmy never would've fallen into the well.
Yeah, but mine's a Silken Windhound...

sue521325192981.561266 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

I like mine! But I don't know anything about the Ipad, so I really can't compare.

luvz2shop1325203897.317554 PostsRegistered 9/10/2006USA

Can you download Words with Friends on the Kindle Fire, and is it Free? Angry Birds? Twitter? FacebooK?

I have these on my iPod, but as you know, the screen is small.

Kittyface1325204125.81649 PostsRegistered 7/18/2006WNY
On 12/29/2011 luvz2shop said:

Can you download Words with Friends on the Kindle Fire, and is it Free? Angry Birds? Twitter? FacebooK?

Love my Kindle Fire!!! Yes, playing Words right now.....it's free as well as many others...Facebook is smooth! Each day Amazon offers a free app so check them out too! Held the iPad....It's ok but I wouldn't trade it for my KF! I have a camera so that does not bother me.

luvz2shop1325204769.62554 PostsRegistered 9/10/2006USA
On 12/29/2011 Kittyface said:
On 12/29/2011 luvz2shop said:

Love my Kindle Fire!!! Yes, playing Words right now.....it's free as well as many others...Facebook is smooth! Each day Amazon offers a free app so check them out too! Held the iPad....It's ok but I wouldn't trade it for my KF! I have a camera so that does not bother me.

Thanks Kittyface!! It looks really nice & I don't care about the lack of camera either.

Smile

RubyinNE1325206021.1277456 PostsRegistered 8/16/2009Nebraska

If you buy a Kindle Fire, do your books, already on a Kindle 2 get transferred?

Ruby

sue521325209466.571266 PostsRegistered 11/8/2004

Yes, Ruby, they should. I had some books on my laptop and when I got the Fire up and running, they were there! And YES, Angry Birds! My new addiction!

Lovemylife1325210209.897608 PostsRegistered 1/30/2011
I own both the Kindle Fire and the iPad. The KF is a nice tablet but it is lacking in so many areas!!!!!!!!!! The iPad is the Rolls Royce of tablets and the KF is a Lexus. Visit your local Best Buy to play around with an iPad. I purchased my KF for reading my colored "how to" books. Gardening, cooking, crafts etc. I can read all of those on the iPad via the Kindle app but the iPad is still to big to carry around in my purse. I just read an article that Apple could be releasing another iPad in late January.

DrWilliamQ­VC1325211638.523119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011
On 12/29/2011 knoxville artist said: I own both the Kindle Fire and the iPad. The KF is a nice tablet but it is lacking in so many areas!!!!!!!!!! The iPad is the Rolls Royce of tablets and the KF is a Lexus. Visit your local Best Buy to play around with an iPad. I purchased my KF for reading my colored "how to" books. Gardening, cooking, crafts etc. I can read all of those on the iPad via the Kindle app but the iPad is still to big to carry around in my purse. I just read an article that Apple could be releasing another iPad in late January.

Just my opinion, but the kindle fire is nowhere near a lexus. It's like the toyota camry. The kindle fire has hardly any internal storage, no volume rockers, no SD card expansion, bare on memory no camera, no microphone.....

Let me rephrase what I said. The Fire is like a toyota camry with fabric interior...

For the same price you can get a BB playbook that outshines the fire by a mile.

Last edited on 12/29/2011

barbados1325211809.99714405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
On 12/29/2011 DrWilliamQVC said:
On 12/29/2011 knoxville artist said: I own both the Kindle Fire and the iPad. The KF is a nice tablet but it is lacking in so many areas!!!!!!!!!! The iPad is the Rolls Royce of tablets and the KF is a Lexus. Visit your local Best Buy to play around with an iPad. I purchased my KF for reading my colored "how to" books. Gardening, cooking, crafts etc. I can read all of those on the iPad via the Kindle app but the iPad is still to big to carry around in my purse. I just read an article that Apple could be releasing another iPad in late January.

Just my opinion, but the kindle fire is nowhere near a lexus. It's like the toyota camry. The kindle fire has hardly any internal storage, no volume rockers, no SD card expansion, bare on memory.....

Let me rephrase what I said. The Fire is like a toyota camry with fabric interior...

What an unintelligent analysis I've ever read in my life!! Geeeeeeeeeesh.

DrWilliamQ­VC1325212107.69119 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011
On 12/29/2011 barbados said:

Just my opinion, but the kindle fire is nowhere near a lexus. It's like the toyota camry. The kindle fire has hardly any internal storage, no volume rockers, no SD card expansion, bare on memory.....

Unintelligent? DO you think I made the specs of the fire up? Sorry but 512 mb of ram and all the other stuff it's missing doesn't jusity it being a " Lexus ".

If you want to compare backrounds in technology, I will start. I have been in the computer industry for almost 15 years, aquiring my PHD in Computer Science from Stanford in 2003. I have worked for everyone from Microsoft to Apple...... NEXT

barbados1325219167.7814405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

Unintelligent? DO you think I made the specs of the fire up? Sorry but 512 mb of ram and all the other stuff it's missing doesn't jusity it being a " Lexus ".

If you want to compare backrounds in technology, I will start. I have been in the computer industry for almost 15 years, aquiring my PHD in Computer Science from Stanford in 2003. I have worked for everyone from Microsoft to Apple...... NEXT

That might get you a cup of coffee............NEXT

In-x-s1325301024.592606 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location

That might get you a cup of coffee............NEXT

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Cha1k1325314586.5871155 PostsRegistered 2/28/2009
The BlackBerry PlayBook has been called one of the biggest tech flops of the year. It has no email or calendar client and like the HP TouchPad, it has been deeply discounted to clear it off the shelves. Do your research before buying any tablet.

ritasNo1Fan1325315175.8671916 PostsRegistered 7/10/2006left coast

I just read that the Kindle Fire is going to be "reworked". Something about it being alittle slow, like a Toyota and not a Rolls. And that the ones who bought it are going to be compensated in some way. This was in Time I believe.

I have a feeling that the newest ipad will be 7 inches.

barbados1325321987.3114405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
On 12/31/2011 roda said:

I just read that the Kindle Fire is going to be "reworked". Something about it being alittle slow, like a Toyota and not a Rolls. And that the ones who bought it are going to be compensated in some way. This was in Time I believe.

I have a feeling that the newest ipad will be 7 inches.

I'm glad it's like a toyota because they will last for well over 200,000 miles.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Txblond1325333187.3131720 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

I love my Kindle Fire - I don't think it is slow, just right for me. I'm not an "electronic geek" & am discovering new things I can do with it everyday. I think it is just a case of "different strokes for different folks".

caramels231325333885.6314861 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

I tried buying one this week. Every Best Buy store within a 25 mile radius of my home is sold out...{#emotions_dlg.crying} I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them...anxious to get one.

Soushi241325337450.892964 PostsRegistered 2/22/2006Indiana

I love, love, love my Kindle Fire. Just perfect for me and the price is right. $199 compared to $499? Just downloaded an app from Amazon. Apps sent in newsletter today were awesome. So easy to click and only $.99 each.

It isn't slow and fits in my hands nicely. Can pop in my purse for down times easily. FB is so quick to access, just a click. I'm sold on my KF.

firstclass­intl1325339827.1433006 PostsRegistered 1/15/2006

I thought I wanted one. I have an iPad 2 and absolutely love it but it is a bit heavy. I do read my books on the Kindle app on my iPad but wanted something more portable. Played with the Fire at Target and boy was I glad I did not ask for one for xmas. It was incredibly slow, not sensitive to touch like the iPad and overall incredibly overwhelming. I think comparing the Fire to a Toyota Camry is generous.

gardenman1325341649.4517304 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

One of the problems with modern electronic devices is that each one is unique. The Kindle Fire is a tablet, but it's radically different than the i-Pad and many other tablets on the market. The Kindle Fire is designed to function best when connected to Amazon's Cloud. That makes comparisons of it's onboard memory and storage less pertinent as there's literally unlimited storage on the cloud.

The next Kindle tablet (probably coming fairly soon now as it looks like Amazon is trying to get rid of the Kindle DX and replace it with the bigger tablet,) will be a better device to compare to the i-Pad. Functionally (if you can believe the rumors) it should be a closer direct competitor to the i-Pad. It's being made by the same manufacturer that makes the i-Pad (Foxconn.)

From what I've read, the vast majority of those who have bought a Kindle Fire are thrilled with it. People who were expecting it to be a smaller i-Pad are somewhat disappointed, but for $200 you get a color e-reader, game player, web surfing device that can stream media, so it's not a bad investment.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Chihuahuas­rock1325342072.07326 PostsRegistered 11/16/2010

My 14 y/o DD has the I-Pad. She says it's the best thing I've ever bought her. I just bought the Kindle Fire on Monday. I love it. It suits me better than the I-Pad. I like the smaller size. To each their own!

bonnielu1325358063.6475908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

Still on the fence. And I know the second I purchase one the "bestest one" will be released. As for the Camry, the best car I ever owned. If I could only get it to wash itself I would be fixed for life.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} And Chihuhua person, I have two little devils... loves of our life. Happy New Year everyone.

Cha1k1325448180.2731155 PostsRegistered 2/28/2009

bonnielu,

Anytime you purchase a tech gadget you run the risk of something better being introduced tomorrow. Just jump in, buy the one that appeals to you right now and if you start to 'wish I had waited' when the new stuff is introduced, just don't go there! Tell yourself that you can still use your thingy for what you bought it for and when it bites the dust, you can get the newest one then.

Come on in.....the water's fine. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Chalk

(who still uses the original Kindle, original iPad, and an iPhone 4)

Last edited on 1/1/2012

Last edited on 1/1/2012

Page 1 of 2