Spring & Summer Beauty
17 Members and 9211 Guests Online

Electronics Talk

rca tv won't turn on

Started 1294320924.093 in Electronics Talk | Last reply 1294800552.46 by Gloria

I was just wondering if someone could help me with this. Granted the tv is about 5 years old, but really not a good time to need to replace a tv. Came home yesterday and it just won't turn on. At first it would try to come on, light on the front would light up go off come back on and then nothing. Now it doesn't even do that, light comes on for a second goes right back off. Tried unplugging everything and making sure all connections on the back were tight, that all is good. Also it is plugged into a surge protector, which seems to be working the other things plugged into it are working (satelite, dvd player ) . If anyone has any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
DrPhil1294321345.062175 PostsRegistered 12/2/2008

It happened to my TV (Sceptre brand) and I bought a power supply for it on eBay and changed it out. Yeah some people scoff at that advice but it really wasn't so hard and I have a background in PC repair and this was a matter of taking the back off unplugging one component and putting back in another. The hardest part was I had to undo like 20 scr#ws in the whole process, but it was worth getting my TV back because otherwise I would have to use a 17" for a while til I could afford a new big TV.

Last edited on 1/6/2011

Last edited on 1/6/2011

"I'm not bipolar but biwinning." - Charlie Sheen

always wro­ng never right1294322209.722007 PostsRegistered 12/20/2006Chicago, Illinois

Seems like you received what you paid for. "American made" televisions are junk. Buy a Japanese made and it will last forever. Stick with a good name like Panasonic or Sony, the top two brands for over 30 years.

If sharing an opinion makes you appear angry, then the receiver of the opinion should look in the mirror!

gardenman1294324061.06715915 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I don't know how long you kept it unplugged when you unplugged it, but you may want to try unplugging and leaving it unplugged for five minutes before plugging it back in. I don't really think it will help in this case, but it can't hurt.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Cey1294324074.73364 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006
On 1/6/2011 passerby said:

Seems like you received what you paid for. "American made" televisions are junk. Buy a Japanese made and it will last forever. Stick with a good name like Panasonic or Sony, the top two brands for over 30 years.

Passerby, The majority of consumer electronics have been made in Asian countries for the past 40+ years. RCA TV's are manufactured by a Chinese company TCL.

http://multimedia.tcl.com/en/product/main.do?method=listing&mappingName=ProductList&categoryField=ff808081181c712f01181c7acedc0012

Subject1294325038.97311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Philips and RCA TV's are known for their tuners to go out. I quit buying them.

always wro­ng never right1294325198.432007 PostsRegistered 12/20/2006Chicago, Illinois
On 1/6/2011 Cey said:

Passerby, The majority of consumer electronics have been made in Asian countries for the past 40+ years. RCA TV's are manufactured by a Chinese company TCL.

http://multimedia.tcl.com/en/product/main.do?method=listing&mappingName=ProductList&categoryField=ff808081181c712f01181c7acedc0012

American branded TVs are cr*p. They always have been, no matter where they are made. Go to the source of the best technologies, which have always been Sony and Panasonic, NEVER RCA.

If sharing an opinion makes you appear angry, then the receiver of the opinion should look in the mirror!

3dsmom1294332490.7274 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

Thanks to all that replied, just trying to decide, is it worth it to try to get it repaired or should we just bite the bullet and get a new one? Any recomondations? Is it a good idea to get one with a built in dvd player or is that also asking for trouble? I had also heard to go with a better brand, but not til after we had already bought the rca. Oh well 5 years is pretty good isnt it?

Gloria1294332774.0934209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't know what sort of TV this is (other than RCA), but we recently had the bulb go out on our big HD TV in less than a year! Checked in the manual and on-line and this can happen if the tv is used a lot, if it gets dust inside, etc. Did you read in the manual? I know it is past warranty, but maybe if you called RCA someone could advise you.

3dsmom1294333141.8174 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

This is a big 56 in. hd tv. We cant find the manual looked on line and the one there wasnt any help. When your bulb went out did it just not come back on? Ours is used alot two teenage boys in the house, over christmas break seems like it was on constantly. Going to try to call customer service today, couldnt find the right # but think I have it now.

Gloria1294333660.1734209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/6/2011 3dsmom said:

This is a big 56 in. hd tv. We cant find the manual looked on line and the one there wasnt any help. When your bulb went out did it just not come back on? Ours is used alot two teenage boys in the house, over christmas break seems like it was on constantly. Going to try to call customer service today, couldnt find the right # but think I have it now.

I am willing to bet it is the lamp (I incorrectly called it a bulb above). Ours was the main lamp. Our experience was the same as yours...no warning. Just went to turn it on and nothing but a black screen! We were pretty surprised since, as I said, it was basically new! We were lucky it was new since the company sent us a replacement lamp at no cost and it was easy to change out on our own. It's a pricey lamp (can't recall the price since we didn't have to pay for it), but if this is the case for you, you might want to weigh the cost of replacing it to the cost of a new TV. Definitely call RCA customer service. As soon as we called the company and described the problem they new exactly what it was.

Good luck!

Gloria

3dsmom1294334103.2874 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

Thanks Gloria, we had been buying the extended warranty, but this summer (only about 4 months ago) we got a letter from the comapany saying they were going out of business! Just our luck I guess! i am off now to try to call, Thanks to all who gave advice. Greatly apppreciated!!

Mrs Fun1294334109.527110 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007Kentucky

Hi,

We have RCA that is 3 years old, and we changed the lamp once before and now is not working again. I think it is the lamp, again. You can replace the lamp yourself but how would you know that this is the problem?

As other posters stated: change the TV and go for something else than RCA or TV made here.

hulagirl1294334251.7276378 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I didn't even know RCA was even in business anymore....

Gloria1294340050.4374209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/6/2011 3dsmom said:

Thanks Gloria, we had been buying the extended warranty, but this summer (only about 4 months ago) we got a letter from the comapany saying they were going out of business! Just our luck I guess! i am off now to try to call, Thanks to all who gave advice. Greatly apppreciated!!

Perfect timing, huh!?

Like I said above, the person I spoke to for our TV knew immediately it was the lamp. I think for our TV the little green light that goes on when the TV goes on correctly was red. That indicted to them what the problem was. Does your light do that?

Good luck, again.

3dsmom1294340437.5274 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

no the light comes on for like a second and then it goes right back off, no red light. you can hear the tv trying to come on, sort of static then shuts off. My husband is on the phone with customer service right now. Hope we can get this resolved.

DrPhil1294343454.6572175 PostsRegistered 12/2/2008
On 1/6/2011 3dsmom said:

no the light comes on for like a second and then it goes right back off, no red light. you can hear the tv trying to come on, sort of static then shuts off. My husband is on the phone with customer service right now. Hope we can get this resolved.

Mine did that and when I googled I found it was the power supply. On mine the red light is on all the time and when the TV gets turned on it turns blue. When it was broke and I tried to turn it on, the blue light would come on for 1 second and I'd hear a click and then the red would come back.

When I did take it apart to fix it it was kinda dusty in there so I take special care to dust better behind it and used canned air.

Last edited on 1/6/2011

Last edited on 1/6/2011

"I'm not bipolar but biwinning." - Charlie Sheen

Gloria1294415969.644209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/6/2011 3dsmom said:

Wondering how you made out with RCA CS.

Gloria

Last edited on 1/7/2011

Last edited on 1/7/2011

3dsmom1294433142.43374 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

Hello, Well cs wasn't much help told us to turn it off leave it off for 10 mins (which we already did) and then gave is a # for a repair service in our area. I will cost us $20 pick up fee and a $65 "bench" fee then tell us how much to fix it. We think this is good? Won't do any more unless we approve if its going to be more then $100 we won't have it done. Should we do this and see what the problem is? Still deciding if we should.

Gloria1294458437.124209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/7/2011 3dsmom said:

Hello, Well cs wasn't much help told us to turn it off leave it off for 10 mins (which we already did) and then gave is a # for a repair service in our area. I will cost us $20 pick up fee and a $65 "bench" fee then tell us how much to fix it. We think this is good? Won't do any more unless we approve if its going to be more then $100 we won't have it done. Should we do this and see what the problem is? Still deciding if we should.

They can't just check it at your house? I remember the good old days when they did that!

Since they won't do any repairs w/o your permission, it might be worth it. What if you could get it fixed for only a hundred dollars? It will cost a whole lot more to replace. Then, again, you never know how long it will last once repaired. I guess it depends on what is wrong. But...if you are getting ready to upgrade and want a new TV, then it might be time. When the TV before this one broke we were ready to upgrade. Sure it was an expense, but it was time to upgrade.

3dsmom1294585592.98774 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

Hi Gloria,

I thought the same thing. I guess the guys that come pick it up are just drivers, won't even look at it. We think that we are going to do it . I was mistaken, its $20 to pick it up $45 to check it out and if we decide not have it repaired $20 to dispose of it. It would cost us $20-25 at our transfer station anyway. I too am hoping it is an easy fix. Thanks for all your help. Sorry took so long to reply hubby just had surgery, and things are a bit hectic around here. I appreciate that you helped us, thanks!!

happy hous­ewife1294585832.9528014 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

excuse me - we have an American made RCA TV in our camper that is 18 years old and we have never had an issue. the poor thing gets to sit out in the freezing cold all winter and has to ride up and down the road too.Only ever problem was when the mice ate the cord and hubby had to replace it.

3dsmom1294586761.8874 PostsRegistered 5/1/2009

I will say the 5 or 6 years we had it ( not sure how long exactly) it never gave us a problem. Then Weds nite just wouldnt turn on . No warning at all, Hoping we can get it fixed for not alot of money. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Gloria1294800552.464209 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/9/2011 3dsmom said:

Hi Gloria,

I thought the same thing. I guess the guys that come pick it up are just drivers, won't even look at it. We think that we are going to do it . I was mistaken, its $20 to pick it up $45 to check it out and if we decide not have it repaired $20 to dispose of it. It would cost us $20-25 at our transfer station anyway. I too am hoping it is an easy fix. Thanks for all your help. Sorry took so long to reply hubby just had surgery, and things are a bit hectic around here. I appreciate that you helped us, thanks!!

Glad to be of help! Good luck with the TV. I hope your husband is recuperating nicely.

Page 1 of 1