Valued Contributor

what kindle or nook should I get my brother who loves to read?

I've never used a kindle or nook, I'm not sure what one to get! How expensive are new novels ? Are they pretty much the same? Thanks in advance
Honored Contributor

Re: what kindle or nook should I get my brother who loves to read?

Did you check out the sale prices on Kindles on Amazon this morning? I have the Paperwhite and love it!!!! (I also have the original Kindle, though I don't seem to use that at all these days).

Honored Contributor

I have the original Kindle Paperwhite and love it. It is very easy to read, even in direct sunlight.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I personally love my Kindles. I have the Kindle Keyboard (no longer available) but if I was buying one now and money was no object, I'd get the Kindle Voyage or Kindle Paperwhite. They're both "pure" e-readers and are arguably the best out there for just reading. If money is an object (the Voyage costs $199 and the Paperwhite is now on sale for $99) then the basic Kindle with no backlight is only $49 now on sale at Amazon.

E-book pricing is a very interesting subject. Most new books from established authors who are also traditionally published sell for around $10. Some are more, some are less, but they're generally in that range. Newer/less known authors typically price their e-books under $5 and often under $2. You can spend as much $14,372.83 on "International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences" or get many, many e-books for free. By the way, the fact that there are some insanely highly priced books is a good reason to be sure your brother requires a password before purchasing on his e-reader. There are those who think loading a "friends" e-book with ridiculously overpriced e-books is a great joke. If he enables one click buying with no password then anyone who picks it up can order anything and that can get expensive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I'd get the Kindle Paperwhite that is on sale right now for $99. I love it!

Respected Contributor

I don't recommend the original Kindle.

Honored Contributor

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I just upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard. I would highly recommend the Paperwhite. I bought Amazon's leather cover for it, too, and it's great.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I have the Kindle HDX 7" and enjoy it but cannot read it in the light. I am thinking of getting the Paperwhite as all I really do on my Kindle is read. By the way, I don't buy books, especially fiction. I borrow them from my library and they are downloaded to my Kindle in seconds. While not everything is in e-form, more and more are going that way. I hope that whatever you get for him he enjoys tremendously. Wish I had you for a sister! docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

Paperwhite! simple to use and holds a charge for a very long span.
Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/27/2014 Krimpette said:

Did you check out the sale prices on Kindles on Amazon this morning? I have the Paperwhite and love it!!!! (I also have the original Kindle, though I don't seem to use that at all these days).

I luv my Paperwhite.