Valued Contributor

Cottage Farms Colors not as shown

Those Rose of Sharons that they're showing (2:30am est) -- I have a huge asortment of them- those colors are sooooo bright- I don't think those are real flowers or they've been enhanced somehow because I have both of those. anyhow- Inever have had any luck with Cottage Farms-- I buy local now. I'm looking at ALL their "offerings" they ALL look rather "enhanced".

Respected Contributor

Re: Cottage Farms Colors not as shown

The plants I saw shown a month ago were silk. Rose of Sharon don't bloom until mid to late summer.

Honored Contributor

Bob Bowersox used to make a point of saying they were showing fake flowers. Maybe that has something to do with why he's no longer there.

Honored Contributor

There are many untruths happening on those plant and garden shows. I've heard Phillip say a dozen times, if I've heard it once, that his day lilies will bloom this year. I've never, ever had a day lily of that size, which is just a root, bloom until the second year. They also are not going to get the size of the ones he shows for several years, if ever. I buy mine from eBay sellers and get much hardier plants
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 2/19/2014 kachina624 said: There are many untruths happening on those plant and garden shows. I've heard Phillip say a dozen times, if I've heard it once, that his day lilies will bloom this year. I've never, ever had a day lily of that size, which is just a root, bloom until the second year. They also are not going to get the size of the ones he shows for several years, if ever. I buy mine from eBay sellers and get much hardier plants

Unless you get a daylily plant the size which he shows is the first year growth....and there are SEVERAL plants in that pot...trust me...you will not have a bloom the first year.

You are better off buying local from nurseries where you can actually see and feel the plants. Bulbs are different..you can get those anywhere and most of the time they will bloom the first year.

Respected Contributor

I have dozens of daylilies and mine never rebloom.

Valued Contributor

I bought a $5 daylily at Lowes a few years ago. Of course, it didn't bloom the first year but has bloomed each and every year since. It's huge now. I really need to separate it this year.

Respected Contributor

Am no longer buying any of the two flower vendors shown on the Q: color and height of the plants never achieve what's shown on the tv. Even the replacements are poor.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill