Contributor

I'm thinking of buying a new Dooney to use for work travel. This would contain my handbag essentials (wallet, keys, phone, a small makeup bag, sunglasses, passport). In addition, I'd probably carry a snack, a bottle of water, a book, and my ipad for the plane ride. Depending on the reason and length of travel, I might also have with me a laptop case or a small carry-on.

I'd also like to use this bag for everyday running when I want a larger bag. I usually use something smaller like a letter carrier for grocery store, kids activities, etc.

Which do you prefer? For my needs, is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Both are great handbags, but they are different, so think about what you would put inside and look at: the measurements, the handle and strap drops, the weight of the bags, and the configuration. The Chelsea has a center zip section which might limit the size of what you can put in the open side pockets. On the other hand, the Willa has 2 zip sections and an open center. That will give you more secure storage and maybe a larger (but single) open area.

Don't believe the weight listed for the pebble Chelsea on the Q site, it doesn't make sense. Use the weight from the Florentine, it's probably more accurate. The Dillen Chelsea is even heavier. But it's on sale today at ILoveDooney (a reputable site) for half off. Something to consider. But prices change often.

Honored Contributor

I love the Dillen Chelsea - and it's a little bigger than the Willa.

Whatever you choose - enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I'd probably go Chelsea, only because I think it's prettier and comes in a nicer range of colors. While I'm not a big fan of the center zip pocket, I'm also not a big fan of triple entry bags with just a magnet to hold the main section closed, which I believe is the Willa silhouette. If you at all load up either of the side zipper pockets or the middle compartment, my guess is that meager little magnet won't hold the middle of the bag closed, although I could be wrong. I have a similar bag from another brand that seems to be working reasonably well, but in this instance, it's the two side pockets that close with a magnet and the center opening zips. I do like that the Willa's center compartment is a compartment and not a flimsy center pocket but I have a bag that's very similar to the Willa, again, another brand, and the middle compartment won't stay closed with the magnet.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My take, and I've coveted the Chelsea since it came out because it is a pretty bag, is this. Chelsea has more color and leather choices ( I like the Flo version best with the matching handles). But while I like the full zip, I think having them on the outside instead as the Willa does is better. I hate narrow bags, so having two narrow sections with a center zip would be annoying to me. I also find bags with a longer shoulder strap stay on my shoulder better and one that can also work crossbody as well as shoulder is a huge plus to me so more points to the Willa. But I don't find the Willa that attractive in general. So that explains why I haven't bought either one.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor
May I suggest the Charleston? It is large, has a zip closure, and holds everything, even an Ipad. No center comparment. I love it for traveling. I do think the tulip shape is a bit out of style, but I don't care.
Valued Contributor
I also vote for Chelsea. Seems like Willa will stay wild open if you load it with things.
Honored Contributor
On 3/21/2015 jaxs mom said:

My take, and I've coveted the Chelsea since it came out because it is a pretty bag, is this. Chelsea has more color and leather choices ( I like the Flo version best with the matching handles). But while I like the full zip, I think having them on the outside instead as the Willa does is better. I hate narrow bags, so having two narrow sections with a center zip would be annoying to me. I also find bags with a longer shoulder strap stay on my shoulder better and one that can also work crossbody as well as shoulder is a huge plus to me so more points to the Willa. But I don't find the Willa that attractive in general. So that explains why I haven't bought either one.

I agree. I just don't think the Willa is a particularly good looking bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...