Contributor

I've been carrying the famous LOGO LOCK HOBO in the Geranium color (straight up bright orange so i don't know why they say it has red in it). And I noticed the corners of the bag have darkened. I tried to wipe it clean but it wouldn't come off it's almost like the color wore off, which is weird because they say it is drum died, not sprayed on.

I was wondering what is the best way to keep these high quality leather bags clean? These bags are an investment so i want mine to last for YEARS but still look great too.

Also anytime i've bought a light colored leather bag I've had such bad luck with getting denim stains on it or some sort of dirt/smudges. How do YOU keep leather bags clean without the leather cleaner ruining the texture of the bag?

Honored Contributor

Re: Leather cleaning troubles

From personal experience, I would recommend following Dooney's guidelines for cleaning the pebble leather. I have the orange bag and the color will come off if you aren't careful.

From Dooney's website

The leather has gone through extensive tumbling to create the supple texture. Treated for water repellency, the bags are also lined in 100% cotton.

This leather can usually be cleaned with the use of a soft cotton cloth slightly dampened with distilled water (sodium-free seltzer water may be substituted) and a mild bar soap, applied in a circular motion. Repeat with distilled water only to ensure no residual soap remains. The leather should then be allowed to dry completely.

This collection requires no creams, polishes or leather conditioning products to maintain its beauty.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

so why does the color come off? does that happen with all the colors? it makes me wonder how some women have their bags for 20+ yrs?! I only carried mine for a few months before I started to notice the wear and tear at the corners! And in my opinion that's crazy. I keep my bag off the floors and I never toss it around so I don't know how I could be more careful.

Do anyone have experience with Dooney's bone or white colored bags? I've love to get a color like that for spring/summer.

Honored Contributor

I meant the color will come off if you scrub too hard trying to clean it, not in general.

Super Contributor

I have been carrying Dooney for 25 years, & have never had the color "come off" of any bag. I don't know how color could come off of a Dooney bag. Is it dirt or oil on the corners of the bag?
Valued Contributor

I had the corners rub off on a croco hobo; I think not having feet makes this more likely.
Contributor

The only issue I have with feet is their effectiveness. They don't actually keep a bag from touching the surface they are sitting on. Once you put weighted objects in the bag, and you get the slightest sag the feet are for decoration only.

But yeah I'm wondering if I got a pretty white bag would I end up with ugly dirty corners? Even after I wiped down my geranium bag it still has dark corners...

Respected Contributor

I own a lot of Dooney handbags and I've seen the color rub off on the corners of some of them. My opinion is that Dooney does not drum dye all of the leathers and all of the colors in the lines where they do drum dye. I think we are seeing less and less drum dyed leather. In the past I've called Dooney to get info on which leathers/colors were drum dyed and I couldn't get any consistent information.

Black and brown handbags are easy to 'fix' with a little shoe polish, but other colors can be very hard to match.

Honored Contributor

Sue has said on quite a few presentations that the dye is hand rubbed. I know it's hand rubbed on the Santorini for example and I'm pretty sure it's hand rubbed on the Florentine leather too. I can't remember which other ones are hand rubbed, but I hear her mention it fairly often.

Esteemed Contributor

Most denim will transfer to pretty much anything it comes in contact with if the item is not laundered first. Mild soap and water should remove any stain. One of my daughter's used a baby wipe on a bone bag and it worked. If it is a bad stain, try a good leather cleaner or gently use a Magic Eraser. If the color of the bag is coming off, I would call Dooney customer service.