Occasional Contributor

Thrilled Dooney and Bourke returned to their roots !

I bought my first Dooney over 35 years ago and still use it ! It is a tiny black pebble leather clutch/wallet style with a long shoulder strap that has traveled the world with me perfect for passports, currency and lip gloss. The last few years Dooney, in my opinion, has tried to keep up with "the times." Nothing says Dooney to me like the Pebble Leather" and I just ordered my umpteenth bag. I lost count of my bags over the years and even started my daughter on Dooney when she was a pre-teen. I honestly do not like the "floral" or "chevron" patterns, etc, but again only my opinion. I just ordered the Large Lexington Bag in dark grey. I have Dooney and Bourke belts, drawstring bags, and a beautiful black pebble leather brief case I have used for work for 25 years. It is a classic and still looks brand new. To this day I get complements.

Anyone out there agree?

Honored Contributor

Re: Thrilled Dooney and Bourke returned to their roots !

To me, a true return to their 'roots' would include more of an expansion of the AWL line... Granted, pebble is close, but I still like AWL and actually, prefer it unlined!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 12/13/2014 stevieb said:

To me, a true return to their 'roots' would include more of an expansion of the AWL line... Granted, pebble is close, but I still like AWL and actually, prefer it unlined!

Agree 100%, Stevieb. In the early to mid nineties Dooney and Bourke was the worlds largest buyer of All Weather Leather, purchasing over 95% that was made. Would give anything to see that happen again, along with their iconic All Weather Leather colors. Now that's the "real Dooney"
Honored Contributor

On 12/13/2014 allthatsgood said:

Agree 100%, Stevieb. In the early to mid nineties Dooney and Bourke was the worlds largest buyer of All Weather Leather, purchasing over 95% that was made. Would give anything to see that happen again, along with their iconic All Weather Leather colors. Now that's the "real Dooney"

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hey girl, you know it! And Happy Holidays to you!

And truly, I loved the unlined bags... and yes, those gorgeous colors! I remember falling in love with 'mushroom' and there was this gorgeous cadet blue... Those were the days.

Esteemed Contributor

I too prefer and love the AWL line that would be great if they expanded that and the pebble leather is great too. I had forgotten about my older Dooney's and Coach leather bags being unlined I don't carry them as much but I can't seem to part with them either.

Regular Contributor

Friday, I picked up a vintage AWL "big duck" crossbody on eBay. I had been stalking them for weeks. I just love that big leather embossed duck! Should be here next week. Stevie.......I had to mention that I agree with you that LR's send-off seemed lacking. She was still pushing product till 11:56. They spent a whopping 4 minutes on the farewell and then they zoomed over to Rick, so that he could pick up the push. I know that it's their business, but after 24 yrs and the company sustaining amount of revenue she brought in, I expected (my mistake) more. Well, here's to Day 12....after all of the order problems, kinda glad it's over!
Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

And truly, I loved the unlined bags... and yes, those gorgeous colors! I remember falling in love with 'mushroom' and there was this gorgeous cadet blue... Those were the days.

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Happy Holidays to you too, girl. I hope everything is going great and you are enjoying the season. So much to do and the days are flying.....of course if I was a child I wouldn't feel that way! You are so right about the colors. Florentines are pretty in the ivy, red and Blues, but the way AWL is dyed it just makes the colors more alive! Hmmm.....if that's possible. I have the large Norfolk Satchel in mushroom, and that bag is like new. Of course my favorites, British Tan and Palamino. Speaking of Palamino, Sandra from CS emailed me a week or so ago and said it wasn't avaliable in the Florentine Chelsea. She said it was a mistake on the website and they were removing it. BOO! It it's place I ordered the Claremont "Woven Satchel." It was back ordered. I saw yesterday it's not in the collection anymore. Oh dear..... we will see.......
Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Happy Holidays to you too, girl. I hope everything is going great and you are enjoying the season. So much to do and the days are flying.....of course if I was a child I wouldn't feel that way! You are so right about the colors. Florentines are pretty in the ivy, red and Blues, but the way AWL is dyed it just makes the colors more alive! Hmmm.....if that's possible. I have the large Norfolk Satchel in mushroom, and that bag is like new. Of course my favorites, British Tan and Palamino. Speaking of Palamino, Sandra from CS emailed me a week or so ago and said it wasn't avaliable in the Florentine Chelsea. She said it was a mistake on the website and they were removing it. BOO! It it's place I ordered the Claremont "Woven Satchel." It was back ordered. I saw yesterday it's not in the collection anymore. Oh dear..... we will see.......

That stinks about the palomino... Their website is every bit as iffy as is this one, it seems... And I can't believe so many of their swatches remain unavailable... I'd still like to get that small dome buckle satchel in palomino and can't imagine why they stopped offering it... Sooner or later, something that catches my eye will be available in that color!

Yes, the days are flying and I guess I'm just sort of unmotivated. Still cleaning and decorating... The shopping is, of course done... After all, I LIKE to do that! Instead of just buckling done, pushing myself and getting it done once and for all, the place continues to be a cluttered mess, as I drag my feet... I have, though, decided it WILL be done by the end of the day, so I guess I better get busy!

The Flos are nice, but personally, I'm sort of over them... I'm sure I'll add another somewhere along the line, but what can I say... The thrill is gone!

Can't seem to find any image of the Claremont woven satchel anywhere, but am sure it is pretty... I wonder if the Chelsea comes in palomino in another leather option. Of course, if you have your heart set on Florentine, then it really doesn't much matter!

Enjoy!

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I've been purchasing my AWL bags on The Bay...they have all been in pristine condition, made in the USA -- THAT is the Dooney Roots that I like -- and the unlined interiors are superior to the g'awful red cotton lining in the Made in China bags that I rarely purchase. I do love my taupe Lambskin leather bag that I bought on the Q almost a year ago, to go with my snapper wristlet, but that is the only bag I've kept from the Q. I also love the Alto line, made in Italy, and I like the blue lining of the Alto wallets. My most recent bag from The Bay is a salmon colored pyramid backpack-style bag and it's gorgeous! I'm waiting for Spring to wear her and I'm on the hunt for a matching wallet!!! Wink