Super Contributor

Dooney and Burke showing wear after only 6 months and very little use?

My husband surprised me with a gorgeous pebble leather Dooney for my birthday. (Carmel color satchel.)

I don't use it every day, but there is already some wear marks on the bottom of it. It looks like the leather is peeling off, and I am very gentle with my handbags.

Is this normal? I know it cost almost $400, so I would expect it to hold up a bit better. My Tignellos and Michael Kors handbags are holding up much better. I love Dooney and Burke, but I am now afraid to invest in another one.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney and Burke showing wear after only 6 months and very little use?

That should not happen. Depending upon where the handbag was purchased, they might take it back... it's worth asking. If not, you can send it to Dooney to see if it can be repaired. If not, Dooney will give you a trade in credit for half the original retail value of the handbag (you don't need receipts).

Regular Contributor

Should have one year warranty against defects...sounds like one to me.

Super Contributor

Thank you. I remember registering it when I got it.

Honored Contributor

I've never had leather Dooney bag peel on me. I tend to carry the same bag every day for months on end and usually get wear on the corners, but no peeling. The bag I carried every day for a year had discoloration and abrasions on the corners, but not peeling. I'm looking at the leather corner of a coated cotton bag I've been carrying nearly every day since April. The leather trim is the very light natural leather and the very bottoms of the corners have got some dark discoloration and some wear, but there's no peeling. (All the leather trim and the strap are considerably darker now than they were when I bought it, but that's what is supposed to happen and I'm happy with the changes.) The bag sits on a black carpeted floor 5 days a week, so I'd be shocked if it looked perfect, but I think it looks very good.

Valued Contributor

I can't imagine this happening! Glad you registered it, so you can get a replacement. I have several Dooneys that I carry and throw around, and I've never had any problems with any of them.

Super Contributor

Marshall's was loaded with Dooney's this past week.

I have issue with the lining (don't like) and the metal zipper was SHARP on

the tote that you could zip or fold that part inside. SOFT leather, I'll give you

that, but I thought kind of flimsy for the size. Sooooo....it's still at Marshall's!!!

Frequent Contributor

My pebble leather zip zip is doing the same thing. I won't buy any more pebble. I haven't called to replace it. I don't want another pebble leather. I do love the zip zip style and the color, sunset is very pretty and I loved it for summer with jeans.
Super Contributor

It could be the pebble leather that is causing the wearing out, although my Tignello pepple leather is holding up great. I said this in another thread, but this D&B is special to me because my husband got it for my birthday from QVC. It is gorgeous in person, but it should not have any wear and tear on it after just 6 months and minimum use.