Respected Contributor

Why is the coated cotton and canvas almost as expensive as the leather?

I bought a coated cotton purse several years ago and it did not hold up that well. I got it at a good price but I see now that they are almost as expensive as the all leather. I went to an outlet and would have paid as much for one of these as the all leather.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why is the coated cotton and canvas almost as expensive as the leather?

I've often wondered the same thing, which is why I won't buy the coated cotton or nylon bags. If they were much cheaper, maybe.
Respected Contributor

The Dooney coated cotton handbags are generally very durable. As for price.... it's a combination on manufacturing costs (labor, materials, process) and brand positioning. I prefer leather handbags, even if many of them cost more.

Esteemed Contributor

I had two white D&B coated canvas & both developed large yellow spots. I have two Wayfarer D&B nylon bags that are ten years + & absolutely love their nylon. It is not a flimsy nylon you would think of when you hear the word. I purchased both on Ebay for less than $100 brand new & have never been sorry.

Honored Contributor

I guess we'd have to ask LV. It seems to me, they set the standard (and possibly the record) for high priced coated fabric...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 stevieb said:

I guess we'd have to ask LV. It seems to me, they set the standard (and possibly the record) for high priced coated fabric...

Wink

I know! That never ceases to amaze me. For what LV charges, those bags should be made of the highest quality leather known to man! {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Occasional Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Texasmouse said:
On 11/16/2014 stevieb said:

Wink

I know! That never ceases to amaze me. For what LV charges, those bags should be made of the highest quality leather known to man!

Honored Contributor

The coated cotton of the Sutton bags (is that the same as the 1975?) seems to be a lot more expensive than the other coated cotton offerings. I have many coated cotton Dooneys, but they were not as pricey as the Suttons. I carry them mostly in the summer.

Contributor

Hi, I only have a few coated cotton bags and had no issues w/them and they're durable. I can see why the "NEW" CC are more $$$. I have one LV wallet and you can't kill it..had since 1987. TB

Super Contributor

I always wondered this also.