Frequent Contributor

Funny review about a customer remove the lock of the dooney samba

. The only thing is the lock charm was so heavy I had my husband use his bolt cutters and cut it off. Made a big difference in the weight. We were super careful not to damage the leather He did a perfect job. Now the bag works much better.
I put another charm on it so the look was still there, just a little different.
Dooney needs to lighten up on the weight of all the hard wear on the leather bags that always weighs more."
Trusted Contributor

Re: Funny review about a customer remove the lock of the dooney samba

That is too funny!
Honored Contributor

That's as bad as my mother cutting off the handles on a Coach 'classics' satchel because she only wanted to use the shoulder strap... I do wish Dooney had used a smaller and more appealing lock on all of their various 'lock' bags. I love some of color choices in the croco and lizard versions but not with that lock.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I passed on samba cos of the gigantic lock..... looks out of proportion to me. Kudos to your creative solution.

Honored Contributor

interesting views.....i dont find the lock to be ""gigantic"" or ""heavy"" at all......i like the look of it and was getting tired of some of the same old hardware.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't like that big lock either! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I saw some bags at the D&B outlet store and the locks are big, garish, heavy and flop around. Generally I love Dooney & Bourke bags, but I won't buy the models with the lock. I'm hoping this lock thing is just a phase...

Respected Contributor

I too passed on the Samba because of the lock... don't like the look or the weight of it. I also passed on the quilted leather handbags because of the 'heartware'. There are more than enough other handbags out there, I don't need to modify something. If it's not right for me, I'll pass.

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

I too passed on the Samba because of the lock... don't like the look or the weight of it. I also passed on the quilted leather handbags because of the 'heartware'. There are more than enough other handbags out there, I don't need to modify something. If it's not right for me, I'll pass.

Oh yes, I passed on the heartware too... Such a shame, like the locks, I otherwise rather liked some of those bags.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 EdithEllenLily said:

I don't like that big lock either! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I saw some bags at the D&B outlet store and the locks are big, garish, heavy and flop around. Generally I love Dooney & Bourke bags, but I won't buy the models with the lock. I'm hoping this lock thing is just a phase...

My sentiments exactly. I haven't purchased a Dooney in a very long time and I really liked that new croco line they put out this fall, but those locks were a real turnoff - as much as the non-removable tassels that were plastered all over everything last year.

Respected Contributor

My first thought after observing the BIG lock was, "What were they thinking????" Personally I think it cheapens the bag. I won't purchase this look.