Super Contributor

Should New D&B Chelsea Come Wrapped in Blue Protector Sack?

Question: I got the Chelsea shopper today in the gray, and it was inside the blue D&B dust protector bag. When I got my D&B bags locally, they were not packaged that way in that the blue bag was folded inside the handbag. Is this the way QVC normally packages new D&B bags? Also, I noticed that while the handles were wrapped in clear plastic wrap, there was only one paper packing bunched on one side of the bag inside. I'm just wondering if this was a return which I got repackaged the best someone there could do. Also, I'm not sure I want the gray color once I get it home. But my biggest worry is that this is a return and not brand new out of the warehouse. Any ideas?

Super Contributor

Re: Should New D&B Chelsea Come Wrapped in Blue Protector Sack?

Sounds like a retun. Should come in plastic. Dooney Alto bags come in their dust bags, but Alto's come from Dooney. com or Dooney store. QVC seems to think the customer will accept anything. What kind of condition is the bag in?
Respected Contributor

Sounds like it was a return.... but if the handles were in plastic, then the handbag was never used. No one rewraps the plastic before sending out a handbag. Some of my Dooney handbags, directly from stores (Dooney and otherwise) have come wrapped in the dust bag. The original plastic was removed... either to check the bag or to put it out on display. Doesn't bother me, as long as the handbag is in good condition.

Regular Contributor

You got a return. Check it thoroughly and be sure you are happy with it. Otherwise send it back for an exchange.

Was this the Flo Chelsea bag? If so, for that price be SURE you are happy with the bag.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I'll check it out more in daylight tomorrow as it came too late today. On the surface it looks okay. I'm just not too sure now I want to keep the gray--leaning towards swapping it for dark brown or amber color. It's hard to discern the true tone of a color by looking either online or on the screen. And none of the local stores, even though I live in a large city, have the Chelsea at all right now Smiley Sad. It is bigger than the Charleston bags I own but I like the unique style. I prefer a double handled bag over a single handle like a hobo.

Honored Contributor

It depends on where you got it, but since it came from QVC, I'd assume the dust bag to be inside... Like LJ, though, as long as the bag is pristine, I'd not worry about it... Let's face it, we've all bought lots of things in stores and have no way of knowing if they were returns. As long as the item is new and first quality, most of us wouldn't give it a passing thought.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 stevieb said:

It depends on where you got it, but since it came from QVC, I'd assume the dust bag to be inside... Like LJ, though, as long as the bag is pristine, I'd not worry about it... Let's face it, we've all bought lots of things in stores and have no way of knowing if they were returns. As long as the item is new and first quality, most of us wouldn't give it a passing thought.

I agree. I too have received bags that came in the dust bag and not in plastic but they were in perfect condition so who cares. I think we need to cut the seller's a little slack...if the bag looks fine, so be it...

Super Contributor

Sounds to me like you were definitely shipped a returned Dooney. Personally speaking, for as much as these handbags cost, I want to be the one to take off all the plastic wrap and tape. I've been quite thrilled to receive "As Is" Dooney bags that have arrived much like yours for a deeply discounted price. IMHO, if you decide to keep this one, I would at least call customer service and tell them that you purchased a new Dooney but recieved a return. Depending on who you talk to, they might take up to 30% off your purchase price.Smile

Super Contributor

VERDICT--I returned the gray Chelsea and will get a chocolate brown one instead. I called Customer Service and told them that somehow I just believe I got sent a return. She told me that there were no more gray bags, so my second choice was chocolate brown anyway. The new amber color is interesting but looks a lot like the taupe I have in Charleston, and I wanted a distinct difference between the taupe and black bags I already have (without going to pink or orange though). Anyway I firmly told her I wanted a NEW bag and not another return. We'll see what happens in a few days {#emotions_dlg.blush}.

Honored Contributor

slightly O/T - how do you know if you're buying a return from Nordstrom or Macys or Marshals or any where you shop?

I just dressed and each of the 3 items I'm wearing came from different brick and mortar stores as did the handbag I'll pick up in a few minutes when I head out to my doctor's appointment. I have no idea if anything I'm wearing was ever a return.

I'm with those who don't care - as long as the product is clean and without flaws. OP returned her gray bag which was fine. She didn't like her first choice. Unless her system is immune deficient because of disease, all the rest of her complaint doesn't change my inclination to buy a return whether here at the Q or anywhere else I shop.

After all, a huge portion of what I buy comes from sale and clearance racks and I assume many of those items are returns or have been tried on countless times! And even those full-price items I buy could well be returns.