Occasional Contributor

Today I am wearing a plain black sweater, jeans, black Dansko clogs, and I'm carrying my TAN Dooney and Bourke foldover crossbody bag. Someone at work commented that I don't match because I'm carrying a tan bag while wearing black. Am I committing a fashion faux pas? I thought I was OK but maybe not. Aren't we past the days of always having to be so matchy-matchy? Everything is a neutral so I thought it went together. School me please Smiley Happy Thank you!

Oh...I read these forums all the time but I never post! Guess it's time to start coming out of the shadows!

Super Contributor
Tan is considered a neutral and absolutely goes with black (also a neutral). Long gone are the days where everything had to be perfectly matched lol!! I prefer to accessorize in complementary colors myself...I usually wear alot of black, white, gray or denim and use a pop of color in my handbags or accessories. The only time I truly match my clothes to my bag is when I'm wearing a Vera Bradley..otherwise I'm tonal or complementary. Fashion rules have really changed and become more flexible over the years. Your tan bag sounds just fine to meSmiley Happy)))
Respected Contributor

I usually match my bag to my shoes or any leather outfit I am wearing. Just a personal choice I guess. No fashion ""rule"" as such.

Honored Contributor

Are you kidding?!...You're basically wearing all black & denim a very neutral but dark palate. You could wear any color but I wouldn't wear a pastel or very light shade of bag along with darks.

I would wear other neutrals (like you did) or rich jewel tones....I think a red, burgundy, purple, rich green or something along those lines would look great against neutrals!

Your coworker needs to get with the times!!...carrying a black bag with black clothes, shoes and jeans =boring!

Honored Contributor

All I can say is be careful from whom you take fashion advice!

I've got no credentials, but I think your choice of a tan bag for your outfit is perfect. Especially since you already are wearing lots of black, a black would be lost. Any pretty brown works with black. I'd also carry a bright deep green or purple or blue or red, etc. with black outfit and shoes.

Super Contributor

I love the tan with the black. Very elegant. These days matching bags is considered a fashion don't. The trend is to mix it up and make it interesting especially when you are wearing basics like jeans and a black top. Consider it an empty canvas ready to add your own individual ""art"".

Super Contributor

WELL DID THEY WISH TO SEE YOU ALL IN BLACK ? TAN ENHANCES BLACK.

They sound like the office jester. You sound lovely.

Respected Contributor
On 10/20/2014 bbluvr said:

I love the tan with the black. Very elegant. These days matching bags is considered a fashion don't. The trend is to mix it up and make it interesting especially when you are wearing basics like jeans and a black top. Consider it an empty canvas ready to add your own individual "art".

I agree with this post. All black is not very interesting. Your addition of a tan handbag was a good fashion choice. And as others have stated, it's a good canvas for a pop of color... red, purple, royal blue, bright green. Also lighter neutrals with black are a sophisticated choice... so tan, bone, lighter grey is a very elegant look with black.

Don't listen to the lady at work. She knows not what she is saying.

Honored Contributor

Black and tan are fine. Look at how so many Dooney bags incorporate the combination! I tend to try to match shoes and bag, but am not fanatical about it and so when I don't, I just try to ensure I'm using neutral or complementary colors. I wouldn't worry about it. That said, I am really picky about seeing someone wearing, for example, a primarily grey or black outfit with brown shoes. Some men, left to their own devices, seem to do this often and it drives me nuts!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.glare} Something I would do tan and black why not?.. I never match my bag with my shoes.. that is so 1950's . What I do is color coordinate my bag with my shoes never matchy, matchy. I let that be my splash of color. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}