Respected Contributor

A little help for a newbie here?

I've never posted on this forum before, but have several D&B handbags and generally love them, I've returned every other brand I've bought from the Q because none hold a candle to the D&B quality, generally speaking. It's the exception I'm debating about, so I thought I'd come here and ask the experts. I bought a TSV bag that has a zip top and is made from a croco-patterned leather. I think it's a year or so old, not much more. I've carried it almost exclusively since I got it, as I wanted a leather bag that would be an all-season bag. Turns out this was just a four season bag, going into it's second autumn it looks horrible! The croco embossing is cracked, flaking and peeling off, it's very tacky-looking, more like it was made from plastic, not leather. I switched back to an older signature print fabric bag that was offered at one time in all-weather leather and I sure wish I'd bought it back them, now the Q and the D&B website don't even have the design any more. But what do I do with this tacky looking one year old bag? Do I donate it to a charity, hoping they can sell it for a few bucks, or do I just throw it away. I admit, I wouldn't buy it if I were shopping a charity shop for bags, it's in that poor a condition, but maybe somebody would overlook the appearance in order to have a good, solid bag to carry. What do you all think, donate or dump? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: A little help for a newbie here?

If the bag is in such poor condition that you would not even consider carrying it anymore, throw it out. Charities don't want trash, they aren't dumping grounds and financially challenged women are no different for any other woman. They don't want trash; they want to look nice and no one looks nice carrying a bag like the one you described. The term most charities use is "gently used".

Trusted Contributor

Donate it. Charities differ in what they're willing to accept and sell. They can make the decision to toss it if it's not saleable. A lot of people will buy a good label even if it's a bit worn.

Respected Contributor

Would this bag not qualify for D&B's trade-in program?
Honored Contributor

Trash it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Texasmouse said: Would this bag not qualify for D&B's trade-in program?

I've heard that you have to buy your bag from Dooney in order to use the trade-in program, but I'd certainly call their customer service department and ask about this. They do have a repair/replace policy. I expect a Dooney to last.

Here's the policy from their site:

The Dooney & Bourke Repair/Replacement Program
Repairs: After the initial year covered by our guarantee, we will gladly repair any Dooney & Bourke bag or accessory that has become damaged or worn. Repair costs vary, depending on the condition of the item, but will not exceed half of the current retail price for that particular style. Once we receive an item for repair, we will inspect the item, advise you of repair costs (via mail, allow 1-2 weeks) and request your approval before any repair work takes place. If your bag or accessory is beyond repair or if repair costs exceed half of the current retail price you will be eligible for a replacement.

Replacements: If an item is beyond repair, or if the repair costs exceed half of the current retail price, you have the option of having it replaced. You will be offered credit for half the current retail price of that item to apply toward a replacement item of equal or greater value. We will try to accommodate all replacement requests to your full satisfaction, however, it is not our policy to replace an item from a specific collection with another item from one of the following collections/styles: watches, coats, sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves and shoes, Internet specials and the new IT collection. Please note: The original item will not be returned to you. Once you have authorized a replacement, this item will be destroyed.

Processing: To repair or replace an item please return it to our factory with your name, address, and phone number (day and evening) via insured mail or UPS. Be sure to include a description of the repair / replacement needed. Allow 1-2 weeks for a written response and 4-6 weeks time for your requested repair and / or replacement.

Dooney & Bourke, Inc.
Att: Return Department
1 Regent Street
E. Norwalk, CT 06855

If you have any questions please contact our Customer Service Department:
(800) 347-5000

Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just save myself some time and trash the bag, my life is hectic enough without trying to stuff in a hassle with D&B's CS department on top of everything else right now. My time and stress level are worth more to me than the cost of the bag, I got a year's use out of it. And I really feel the term "gently used" would not apply to it's condition, I carried it for a year, and it looks ratty and moth-eaten, nobody would pay good money for it. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

I understand not wanting to bother with a trade in, but I wanted to clarify.... you can trade in a Dooney handbag regardless of where it was bought and it does not matter what condition it is in. They will give you half the retail value of the handbag as a credit toward the purchase of a new Dooney of equal or greater value.

Personally, I would send it to Dooney so they could see the condition it was in. But of course that will take some time and effort on your part and you will have to pay for the shipping too.

Super Contributor

I have sent Dooney's from QVC in for their trade-in program with no issues at all. How bad the condition is does not matter at all, I have heard of women sending in garage sale finds (as long as they are a REAL Dooney). I could use a trade-in right now, if you want to send the bag to me!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Tami

Honored Contributor

No way I'd trash it, I'd use it as a Dooney trade in.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval