Frequent Contributor

Dooney ladies, how to tell if your Dooney is well made?

I just received the Chelsea in dark Grey and I've heard about quality issues here, when inspecting your Dooney, what exactly are you looking for? I want to make sure that the one I got is up to par as far as quality. I'd really appreciate your expertise. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney ladies, how to tell if your Dooney is well made?

On any bag of any brand, I check for loose threads or stitches that are falling out and overall symmetry. I don't like it when things are crooked.

I also check to see if the lining is stitched in place. I've never had a Dooney bag where the lining was not stitched in place, but some bags do not do that and that often results in the lining getting stuck in the zipper. I had to toss out a lovely B. Mak bag because the lining wasn't stitched down and my wallet would get stuck inside the bag when the zipper would get stuck. I could have given it to Goodwill, but I refused to saddle anyone with that issue.

Respected Contributor

On any handbag, in addition to stitching (as described in post above), I look to be sure the leather is consistent around the entire bag, that the color is even, that there are not deep scratches or cuts, that the handle is properly finished and attached. Of course I check to see that there are no stains or marks or areas where the color is missing. I also check the zipper to be sure it is evenly sewn into place. I check the interior to be sure that the lining isn't cut and the zipper pockets work. I also check to be sure the clasp/closure works.

Super Contributor

Wow! I have a lot of work to do. I don't usually inspect my bags to the extent that others are...

Honored Contributor

I've never had an issue with my Dooney's although I do inspect the bags closely when I'm outlet shopping. I did think my shearling bag was uneven when I got it but then I realized I didn't have the magnetics closed.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I've never had a quality issue with a Dooney and I own several. Actually, I've never had a quality issue with any bag that costs $300. I buy Dooney because I know they are well made bags. That's why I don't buy bags off the Dooney outlet site or from outlet stores. That's where the ooops bags land.

Respected Contributor

The issues some people have been reporting on the new drawstring are chips in the coloring of the drawstring. Also one person reported a stain on the front of the bag, as well as some deep flaws in the leather (under the finishing).

I haven't heard any complaints about the Chelsea, but that comes in several leathers so they might not be all at the same level.

Any handbag can have a defect, regardless of price. I think Dooney is relatively high quality, but it's mass manufactured. I would doubt that every handbag is inspected. If it is, then my standards are higher than the standards used in the inspection. We know that retailers, like Q, do not inspect each and every item in inventory.... they might spot check a random item from each delivery. Even in department stores and boutiques I have found what I consider to be 'defects' that the sales staff has not noticed.

Super Contributor

I agree with the ladies above. Just look, see if anything catches your eye. Check the piping too because that will show wear fast. Remember some leathers show faults easier so take that in to account when purchasing.

My sister has eyes like a hawk and if she is with me, I ask her. I do try to inspect onsite but if ordered I inspect it the minute it arrives.

I went through Hades trying to get a decent GILI Roma II in natural ostrich, the leather staining was terribly inconsistent on all the bags I ordered.

Respected Contributor

Just returned a $300 plus winged shopper....the leather had a "bleach like" mark on the front of the bag.

I always check the handles, the face and back of the bag and inside zippers.

It's not only dooney's, I do this for Coach, Michael Kors and anyone else's bags, I think if you are paying that kind of money, it has to be perfect. But, that's just me.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, ladies! This is my second Chelsea with the first one being an 'as is'. Honestly, they both look to be in great shape but I just wasn't sure. I've inspected them again based on the suggestions here and they are keepers. Thanks again and if you have anything else to add, please do so.