Frequent Contributor
So, I bought one of the new pebble leather zip zips in May, in Sunset. I love the shape so much I have carried it all summer. I thought maybe I would get a color for fall, too. I was looking at my sunset bag and I noticed I had scratched the bottom, despite its having feet. When I looked closely I saw that the layer of leather is soooooo thin, and there is some white material under it, think wood veneer. It was peeling kind of. And you can't rub it out like the Florentine. Granted I am very hard on purses but this one is not wearing like iron like all the callers say. I was thinking maybe I would get the zip zip in the croco maybe? What do you all think?
Super Contributor
So sorry to hear your bag isn't holding up as you expected. Perhaps trying something that might help seal those areas. You could always call Dooney and ask their recommendations, maybe since it is still under warranty they would replace or at least give you something towards a new bag, using their trade in program. I love the looks of the new Toledo Chelsea but after looking at the corners of the bag will not purchase because that one looks like it will really be prone to wear and color loss. Hopefully down the road, I'll be wrong. I purchased 2 Florentine Chelsea's, at least I know what to expect from Florentine leather. Good luck in finding a workable solution for your bag. Let us know what works.
Honored Contributor

The original Chelsea, and I honestly don't recall whether it was Dillen or Pebble, does, indeed, wear like iron. I do think sometimes the trim on some Dooney bags isn't equal to the leather they use in the body of the bags... On the other hand, the zip-zip, pretty as it is, is not one of their more sturdy silhouettes and who knows if the made for Q TSV version, if that's what the OP has, was constructed as are their non-TSV bags... For the record, if the crock is trimmed in the same leather and in the same way as the pebble, then I'd not expect it to wear differently, as it seems the concern isn't with the body of the bag, but with the leather trim.

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
On 8/24/2014 allthatsgood said: So sorry to hear your bag isn't holding up as you expected. Perhaps trying something that might help seal those areas. You could always call Dooney and ask their recommendations, maybe since it is still under warranty they would replace or at least give you something towards a new bag, using their trade in program. I love the looks of the new Toledo Chelsea but after looking at the corners of the bag will not purchase because that one looks like it will really be prone to wear and color loss. Hopefully down the road, I'll be wrong. I purchased 2 Florentine Chelsea's, at least I know what to expect from Florentine leather. Good luck in finding a workable solution for your bag. Let us know what works.

I think the Chelsea is a winner regardless of the leather! Do enjoy your new Florentine Chelsea bags, allthatsgood... Interesting to note that the Chelsea and the Bristol in Florentine are not using any contrasting trim, but are a consistent color... Not sure yet how I feel about that. I like them both ways, but sort of wish we had the option!

Frequent Contributor
Hi Stevie! Here's the scoop on my bag, it isn't the trim that's peeling, it's the actual bottom of the bag, even tho it does have feet. Its the yellow pebbly leather.The trim is a beautiful smooth medium brown leather. I got it at Boscovs. It's only a spec of a spot that's peeling, but you know how we are about our bags. I love the style, is it a new one? Allthatsgood, thank you for telling me abt the warranty. I didn't know they have tht, so I usually don't register my bags. But oddly enough, I think I did register this one! I love the bag so much I'm goin to keep using it since I am still well within the one year allowed. I know it is one of their lower end styles. I am kind of tempted by the croco zip zip set they have here on the Q, it's free shipping! I hate paying shipping.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarification VM... Even if the spot is very small, if you think the leather will continue to peel, then you should by all means contact them and send it back for a new one! So sorry you love your bag and are having a problem with it...

Frequent Contributor

I don't like the pebble leather look cheap I notice that is thiner leather than the dillen II leather or portofino

Super Contributor
On 8/24/2014 stevieb said:
On 8/24/2014 allthatsgood said: So sorry to hear your bag isn't holding up as you expected. Perhaps trying something that might help seal those areas. You could always call Dooney and ask their recommendations, maybe since it is still under warranty they would replace or at least give you something towards a new bag, using their trade in program. I love the looks of the new Toledo Chelsea but after looking at the corners of the bag will not purchase because that one looks like it will really be prone to wear and color loss. Hopefully down the road, I'll be wrong. I purchased 2 Florentine Chelsea's, at least I know what to expect from Florentine leather. Good luck in finding a workable solution for your bag. Let us know what works.

I think the Chelsea is a winner regardless of the leather! Do enjoy your new Florentine Chelsea bags, allthatsgood... Interesting to note that the Chelsea and the Bristol in Florentine are not using any contrasting trim, but are a consistent color... Not sure yet how I feel about that. I like them both ways, but sort of wish we had the option!

Hey Girl! Yep, we both like Miss Chelsea. Peter has "snagged" us again! Of course I fall hook, line and sinker, with pretty bait he puts on the hook! I love the Toledo Chelsea in natural, but after rolling over the pictures on the Dooney website, my feeling is these corners will possibly show wear and lose color. I hope I'm wrong, but still not going there. I looked at the grey Florentine and it's pretty, and so many are loving it, but I wonder when this starts to patina will it look muddy and dirty? The Bristol is a great satchel. This may be one I go for in marine. I did something I didn't think I would do and that is buy a Nubuck Suede Chelsea during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale. I like the Chelsea's because they are plain, they really look rich to me. Now that being said the contrast Chelsea's are beautiful, too. You and I own the Dillen leather ones. What are your thoughts on this Buckley Bag?
Super Contributor
On 8/24/2014 allthatsgood said:

Hey Girl! Yep, we both like Miss Chelsea. Peter has "snagged" us again! Of course I fall hook, line and sinker, with pretty bait he puts on the hook! I love the Toledo Chelsea in natural, but after rolling over the pictures on the Dooney website, my feeling is these corners will possibly show wear and lose color. I hope I'm wrong, but still not going there. I looked at the grey Florentine and it's pretty, and so many are loving it, but I wonder when this starts to patina will it look muddy and dirty? The Bristol is a great satchel. This may be one I go for in marine. I did something I didn't think I would do and that is buy a Nubuck Suede Chelsea during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale. I like the Chelsea's because they are plain, they really look rich to me. Now that being said the contrast Chelsea's are beautiful, too. You and I own the Dillen leather ones. What are your thoughts on this Buckley Bag?
I just ordered the new Chelsea pebble leather in the gray! I looked on Dooneys website and the gray is gorgeous. Nothing like the gray shown here. This will be my first Chelsea but I so love the look of it. It looks very roomy and classy at the same time. Will have it Wednesday. Can't wait! Of course my UPS comes about 7:00 pm. Makes for a long day. :-)
Super Contributor
On 8/24/2014 diamondsforme said:
On 8/24/2014 allthatsgood said:

I just ordered the new Chelsea pebble leather in the gray! I looked on Dooneys website and the gray is gorgeous. Nothing like the gray shown here. This will be my first Chelsea but I so love the look of it. It looks very roomy and classy at the same time. Will have it Wednesday. Can't wait! Of course my UPS comes about 7:00 pm. Makes for a long day. :-)
Hope you love your new Chelsea. I love my Dillen Chelsea, and can't wait for my others to arrive. Waiting for "Mr. Brown Shorts" can be can make it a very, very looooong day for sure. Let us know how you like Miss Chelsea when she arrives.