Contributor

A239434 - Croco Fino Leather Satchel

HI-- was in TJ Maxx tonight and they had a whole table of this bag -- in the bourdeaux and the t-morro - $199.00 !!! I know it was a steal and I was very tempted but what has stopped me in the past is that the handles are a little short and you must make sure the bag "smiles" and only then can you get your hand thru the handles....my question to you who have this bag.....is it comfortable to carry ? Also, there is another flaw to this bag in that it does not open very wide on top. I know, all these complaints, why am I even asking? Because it is a truly gorgeous bag and the price is a steal......any thoughts? thx!!

Honored Contributor

Re: A239434 - Croco Fino Leather Satchel

I took advantage of a deep discount on this bag purely because I think it's beautiful. I don't like the short zipper or fold over entry configuration one bit. Most, it seems, aren't phased by it, but I really dislike it. For me, my love of this bag (and I particularly liked it in blue, green and red) is a rather glaring example of choosing form over function. If you love the design enough to get past some of the practical considerations, you should get it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Ahh, the CROCO FINO....sigh....this bag in BLUE calls my name. HOWEVER, the opening with the short zipper/fold over configuration is a deal breaker for me. That price point is VERY tempting, though.
Respected Contributor

Frequent Contributor

Beautiful bag is the right description!!!I have been eyeing this one as well,esp. With the discount.I just ordered the Florentine buckley in chestnut,so don't know if I should splurge.But that is a beauty of a bag,enjoy!!!
Respected Contributor

OK, here is my assessment. I have the croco fino satchel, but I haven't used it yet. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} To address your concerns, it is a stunning handbag, but the leather is thick and a bit stiff. I think it will take a while for the bag to smile. The handles are short. Since I plan to carry it in my hand, not over my arm, I don't think that will be a problem. As for the zipper, I also don't think it's a problem.

I have several Florentine leather mini satches (not the cross body, but the mini). The croco fino is bigger than those, and I have no problem with the mini opening or the handles. I don't put large electronics in my handbag, and the opening is more than big enough for my wallet and cosmetic case.

None of the foldover style satchels is particularly convenient for getting things in and out. They have a nice look, but for everyday running around, there are other satchel styles that are much more usable.

BTW, earlier this summer the outlets had the croco fino for a much, much, much, much better price than you saw. I don't know if they still have them, but it might be worth a call if you decide that is what you want. The Clinton CT, Reading PA, and Las Vegas outlets will ship to you. Just be sure you understand the return policy on what ever you buy. Not everything from the outlet is returnable.

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I just wanted to add that the croco fino also came in a hobo style. The bag was the same in terms of the size, zipper, foldover top. The handle was a single wider shoulder strap which would easily fit over the arm. Also, the hobo version was lighter. And a little less money too.

Frequent Contributor

The same bags of croco fino was cheaper at the outlets few months ago.

Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and honest replies. I "visited" the bag again yesterday (yes I need a life {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}) and after much consideration decided to skip it. I realized that the short handle and short zipper/foldover were actually deal breakers. Stevieb you were right, I needed to look at the practical considerations. And Lavenderjunkie, you were also right when you said that as a "running around" bag, this is just not usable. Agree with both of you as I do a lot of running around and this would not fill the need. I guess I was blinded by the "pretty." Also blinded by the price, which as it turns out, could be better. I will look forward to carrying my D&B plaid satchel which I bought at the end of last winter and di not get to carry much...... thx.. you guys are the best.

Valued Contributor

I love that look in florentine leather and I got this satchel in chestnut in the regular size. But as much as I LOVE the "small" satchels in all beautiful colors, I'm not getting one for the same exact reasons - small opening and the folding top....but the look of those bags in florentine is stunning! And that's coming from a shoulder bag gal Smiley Happy