Honored Contributor

Violet Bristol Satchel--Noooo

I received what I had been wishing and wanting for a few months. It is a no go. The color is too bright, cheapens the look of what I imagined and had read to be so beautiful. It is also pebbled, not smooth. This one came from Nordstrom, and had a green dot on the outside packaging. It will be going back. I watched the video on QVC just now, and the bristol satchels they are showing all have very smooth leather. I called Dooney CS, and was told the florentine is not always smooth. This bag looks like it is from Target or Kmart.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Violet Bristol Satchel--Noooo

Florentine bags can be either smooth or pebbly (so Dooney claims now) Sue Clifton has mentioned it several times lately. I know when they first launched you never heard anyone talking about pebbled florentine. I have a pebbly lavender Flo satchel that I LOVE (I don't worry about scratches and such with that one) and I have a smooth Stanwich. I think ultimately it's preference. I'm sorry you were disappointed in the color :-( I've not seen a violet in person. It's so disappointing when a bag doesn't live up to our expectations. That's the curse and downfall of ordering online :-(
Honored Contributor

Sorry for your disappointment Tissyanne. I always wondered if the violet color wasn't a little on the florescent side! Sound like maybe it is. I think I preferred the less saturated seasonal colors Dooney offered last year and it also seems like they offered more colors, but I guess this year is all about violet and baby pink. It is a shame one never knows which Florentine will arrive. Seems to me they sold this line based on the smooth incarnation and yet now they're calling them both Florentine. As has been discussed elsewhere, the option would be great! Hoping you find a replacement that you love...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

The outlet have the same bag for 50% white with tan color. The leather is also pebbled.

Honored Contributor

On 5/27/2014 stevieb said:

Sorry for your disappointment Tissyanne. I always wondered if the violet color wasn't a little on the florescent side! Sound like maybe it is. I think I preferred the less saturated seasonal colors Dooney offered last year and it also seems like they offered more colors, but I guess this year is all about violet and baby pink. It is a shame one never knows which Florentine will arrive. Seems to me they sold this line based on the smooth incarnation and yet now they're calling them both Florentine. As has been discussed elsewhere, the option would be great! Hoping you find a replacement that you love...

Hi stevieb, the bag I received is really bright. lol. I just looked at the photo of the one on Nordstrom's website, and mine is not nearly as pretty. I also re-watched QVC's video, and they are showing several colors with all perfect smooth leather. If Sue says either is acceptable I wonder how they just show the smooth ones? I am venting, thanks for listening.
Honored Contributor

Tissyanne, I think they show the smooth ones because they know in their heart of hearts that is the one most of us prefer in this leather choice, though the more textured Florentines have their fans. The more I think about this, the more annoying it becomes because I truly believe they 'sold' this high priced leather line based on the smooth configuration and if they're going to consider either configuration an acceptable 'Florentine' bag then they really should use more of the textured leather in photos and presentations, not just here on Q, but on their own site and in print ads. Personally, I continue to think they really should offer customers the option of smooth Florentine or textured Florentine...

As for the color of the violet bag, I have to say, I've always had my doubts, just as I have with the baby pink. To me, and it's purely a personal opinion, these colors are too saturated for me to consider either, especially for routine use, though I've not been a big fan of either, even for occasional use. Again though, sorry the bag proved such a disappointment for you...

Respected Contributor

I initially liked the look of the violet Florentine too, but after some thought decided this is a bag/leather that I prefer to see in more classic colors, not trendy ones.

I have two brighter colors of Dooney bags, the pink recent TSV croco zip-zip, which after over 3 weeks of airing finally doesn't smell bad and I am keeping and love, and a small shoulder bag that is turquoise patent and vachetta trim. I like these, they are fun and for summer. Oh, and the tsv black/white chevron tote, which I also am really liking more than I thought I would.

As far as the pebbled v. smooth Florentine leather, I have bought my two Florentine bags in a department store and they are smooth which I prefer. All the Florentine bags on display were smooth; I've never seen any pebbled ones.

Honored Contributor

On 5/31/2014 author said:

I initially liked the look of the violet Florentine too, but after some thought decided this is a bag/leather that I prefer to see in more classic colors, not trendy ones.

As far as the pebbled v. smooth Florentine leather, I have bought my two Florentine bags in a department store and they are smooth which I prefer. All the Florentine bags on display were smooth; I've never seen any pebbled ones.

Nicely said and more times than not, I really have to agree. It's not that I dislike all colored bags, heaven knows I have my share, but more times than not, with a pricey leather bag, I not only tend to feel a neutral is the better investment, I simply seem to prefer them! Again, I have some very nice colored bags, but when I get dressed and decide on a bag to carry, neutrals tend to prevail, so they just make the most overall sense for me.

Frequent Contributor

Tissyanne, I am so sorry that your bag did not end up being what you thought it would be. Been there, done that. You have such high hopes and then they are gone.

If you don't mind me asking, you stated your bag had a green dot on the outside packaging.

What does the green dot signify? The last 4 I have purchased have had the green dot, but I had no idea what it meant. They were all packaged perfectly.

Honored Contributor

I don't know that any of us ever really figured out what the various dots signify. At one time, I think it was believed that certain color dots were headed for the outlets and so on... Maybe someone else can respond more definitively.