Frequent Contributor

Amazon sales tax for 2014 they will start loosing customer pretty soon

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon sales tax for 2014 they will start loosing customer pretty soon

My state's not on the list, but we've been required to report internet sales the past couple of years.

ETA: It hasn't stopped me from ordering from the internet, especially from places like Amazon. Even though I'm paying tax on the merchandise, the items I buy are still cheaper online than if I buy locally (if I can even find them locally).

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, every internet site I happen to shop from adds sales tax and it hasn't affected my purchasing decision. As far as Amazon losing my business for this reason, not going to happen.

Super Contributor

My state isn't listed and I'm charged sales tax on my Kindle books.

Contributor

Won't affect my purchases since I track my purchases and pay any sales tax due when I do my taxes. Would be nice if all places collected sales tax to keep everyone honest.
Regular Contributor

My state is not on the list & we don't have to report internet sales. Jeez sounds like Big Brother. I'm considering moving somewhere warmer & that state isn't on the list either. I agree that Amazon is always cheaper or at least a price match. They usually have stock or expect it shortly on what I order. Another consideration is the time you save shopping online and it is safer during snowfall months. Then there is the gas & vehicle maintenance to consider. I doubt very much Amazon will be loosing that many customers. Even with tax, why would people shop elsewhere? What would be the advantage, they would have to pay tax there too?
Regular Contributor

They started building a warehouse here last year. That's when they started collecting the tax. It's not even open yet, but they started collecting taxes right away. Maybe those extra taxes will help the state. I'm still buying from Amazon.

Super Contributor

They started collecting in my state last year and I still purchase the same, if not more, from Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

It's the internet sales laws- not Amazon. If they have any entity in your state (even a 1 person regional office) they're supposed to charge tax. Amazon is just following the rules!

Valued Contributor

Amazon is a great company to deal with so it won't change my purchasing from them.